Android Sync "issues"

meddaugh

anderbytes

does this happen if the directory is empty to begin with?

Yes.... if a directory if empty (or non-existent), then this happens:

1. Folders are created (if not yet existing)

2. No files on folder

3. Video file starts copying

4. First copy above gets interrupted/corrupted

5. Video file(1) starts copying

While Video(1) is downloading, if also gets corrupted.... a Video(2) is generated... and so on...

Edited by anderbytes

Ok, I need to see the log from when the sync occurred. i need to make sure the sync failure is captured and handled. thanks.

anderbytes

Ok, I need to see the log from when the sync occurred. i need to make sure the sync failure is captured and handled. thanks.

Will do that this evening, captain! :D

I tried to simulate this by disconnecting the network in the middle of a transfer but that was correctly handled as an error and the partial file was cleaned up.

anderbytes

I tried to simulate this by disconnecting the network in the middle of a transfer but that was correctly handled as an error and the partial file was cleaned up.

Here I don't need to disconnect, somehow the copy gets lost in the middle.

Maybe it's something related to Linux Server, Docker or file permissions inside Docker containers? I have to do some tests with Emby outside Docker, too.

anderbytes

@@meddaugh, are you using Linux or Windows Server?

If Linux... which Distro, and inside Docker or not?

ps: just noticed that you and me are the only ones posting in this topic.... thought there were several people reporting this...

Edited by anderbytes

meddaugh

Windows server here.  It can happen when directory is empty.  I removed a sync job last night, it resynced, but had the same issue.   I'll have to attempt again to get some logs, but not able to currently.

anderbytes

Luke, I've sent you logs and details via PM. Didn't want those stuff on internet.

anderbytes

Can you do another log so that i can see an alternative sample? thanks.

Will do tonight, with other media.

anderbytes

Windows server here.  It can happen when directory is empty.  I removed a sync job last night, it resynced, but had the same issue.   I'll have to attempt again to get some logs, but not able to currently.

Hey, do you wait for sync schedule to begin at it's correct time or do you start sync manually?

Do yoy have a ny kind of app in Android that auto-closes other apps?

I still can't explain why the (1) are created instead of overwriting their broken originals... but I guess I can understand why they get broken at first place.

When I was doing some more tests... I noticed that sync was going well until I told Android to "close all windows". At this exact moment... server log threw me some kind of "Error ServiceStackHost: Error occured while Processing Request: Unable to write data to the transport connection: The socket has been shut down."

I'm still going to test if a scheduled job also gets those kind of problems.

meddaugh

In a normal situation the sync just happens, in testing I just go into the account settings, disable sync, then re-enable it (it'll then force a sync at that point).  It doesn't matter how it occurs, similar conditions happen either time.  Meaning, sometimes it works, sometimes not.  I don't ever tell it to close or have anything that closes automatically.  However.... it is part of Android that it can and will close down apps that are not "persistent".  To prevent it, that apps needs a persistent notification to prevent from being killed.   These problem started happening after the switch to the new document storage (I know the need is there to do the switch, just frustrating that it worked fine before that). Even if the sync job is successful and no errors on the server or Android side, it still is not able to play the file, nor can it pass it correctly to an external player (the external player force closes), the logs don't even show it passing it to a external player.

---Eric

Try build 37 headed up now. It will not prevent the initial sync failure, but it should prevent the duplicate file afterwards.

anderbytes

Try build 37 headed up now. It will not prevent the initial sync failure, but it should prevent the duplicate file afterwards.

.37 not showing up in Play Store. Only .36

anderbytes

Update about sync...

Now with .36 seems that (1) generating is really over, subtitles are correctly named, and manual/automatic sync behave the same.

What I noticed is if Emby APP is terminated during sync (no matter if sync is manual or auto or if it started before emby app opens), copy is interrupted. This is not correct, AFAIK.

Background sync (without opening Android app) is working OK too and not generating the (1) either.

So now I can only remember 2 issues to deal with:

- Copy being interrupted if app close event happens

- Trying to play a synced item crashes, it doesn't even starts. It's loading icon (rotating emby logo) -> playback crash

Try build 37, headed up now. See if it allows the service to stay alive. thanks.

anderbytes

Try build 37, headed up now. See if it allows the service to stay alive. thanks.

Still the same... I close the app, copy b stops, socket error in the log...