Emby Server - Compreehensive subtitles recognition with alternatives and fallback

anderbytes

anderbytes

I just want Emby to respect the exact preferred language and don't get confused.... Whan can I do to show you the issue? Record a desktop screen video?

did you try with brand new videos? we currently never clear out the saved subtitle selections, so it might just be remembering your previous selection. that's something we need to improve. so in the meantime you would need a brand new video in order to test it, or something you're sure you've never played before.

anderbytes

did you try with brand new videos? we currently never clear out the saved subtitle selections, so it might just be remembering your previous selection. that's something we need to improve. so in the meantime you would need a brand new video in order to test it, or something you're sure you've never played before.

I can try with something I've never player before.... but it's 0:20AM here in Brazil... I'll have to do it tomorrow. Sleep now.

That "always remember subtitle" feature is confusing, there should be a way to disable it in user preferences. As I said, for me is 100% about respecting the written preferred language.

There should be a way to disable it yes, and also, anytime you change the preferred language, the saved selections should be emptied out as well.

• Like 1

anderbytes

There should be a way to disable it yes, and also, anytime you change the preferred language, the saved selections should be emptied out as well.

Perfect.

IF this is the reason hehe... We will know for sure tomorrow after testing with brand new video.

I would appreciate if you try to reproduce my scenario there... using my preferred language, downloading pt-BR and having eng and fr in folder...

Well..see you tomorrow

anderbytes

Ok, I will try it. Thanks.

Hi Luke. I'm at work so I couldn't do the new-video-file test yet... 6 hours from now (around 21:30pm here) I'll be doing it.

Any luck reproducing it?

Yea i did. I had a video with 4 external subs, pt-br, pob, eng and ara for Arabic. pt-br and pob map to the same thing now with the changes from a couple days ago. It all worked for me.

anderbytes

Yea i did. I had a video with 4 external subs, pt-br, pob, eng and ara for Arabic. pt-br and pob map to the same thing now with the changes from a couple days ago. It all worked for me.

They point to the same thing... all right, but that was not what I told the problem was, yesterday.

Did you configure Emby so "Preferred Metadata Language" is "Portuguese (Brazil)" and tried to watch something? did pob or pt-BR started playing automatically... or ara, or eng ?

Edited by anderbytes

Yes, tried Portuguese, Portuguese-Brazil, other languages. All with the expected result. As far as which one played with pt-br, i don't remember. Whichever one comes first since the tracks have identical attributes.

anderbytes

Yes, tried Portuguese, Portuguese-Brazil, other languages. All with the expected result. As far as which one played with pt-br, i don't remember. Whichever one comes first since the tracks have identical attributes.

That's really odd. Do you think that running from Linux could have change the results from your test?

The only thing that I think of doing now is record a video screen-by-screen so you can witness what I'm going through here :huh:

No, I think your issue was just the "feature" of the server remembering previous subtitle selection.

anderbytes

No, I think your issue was just the "feature" of the server remembering previous subtitle selection.

yeah..."feature" :rolleyes:

Can we expect some way to disable this feature?

If, after all, not even disabling this feature close the issue, I'll just drop it... use only pt-BR (now working ok, alone in folder), and let other people that have multi-subs deal with the problem. :mellow:

Edited by anderbytes

Did you configure Emby so "Preferred Metadata Language" is "Portuguese (Brazil)" and tried to watch something? did pob or pt-BR started playing automatically... or ara, or eng ?

You mean "Subtitle Language Preference" right...?

anderbytes

You mean "Subtitle Language Preference" right...?

Yes, Yes! I wasn't near emby to get the correct string, I got from mind.

But you are correct.

anderbytes

I would like to add settings for it yes.

I created a brand new docker Contaner, running latest Beta 3.1.74, created a new library, put there a new movie that never played before, put 4 different subtitle languages, and...

It worked OK! He chose pt-BR instead of others.... so you were right, it is probably that "feature" of remembering lang preferences that is messing up.

I guess there's nothing to test anymore! Let's just wait for that new configuration to toggle off this remembering (User-based? Server-based? Don`t know...)

Thanks!

• Like 1