Is Emby Roku team going to update client look/feel?

butch79

• 2 weeks later...
butch79

The updated Roku app 2.2 update 5 just came out today (November 29th). It did fix my immediate LiveTV issue. Thank you for getting the fix out there!

It has been almost a month without LiveTV on my Family's Rokus. Is there not a way to get a bigger team put together of Emby Developers to get the Roku app fixed faster? 3+ weeks of downtime is pretty hard to swallow for anyone.

​I started this community posting almost 9 months ago? How much longer is it going to be before we get the replacement Roku App? I think everyone on this community posting is wanting to know. I know this has taken so long that I have heard of many users that have left Emby and went to the dark side (Plex).

Happy2Play

The updated Roku app 2.2 update 5 just came out today (November 29th). It did fix my immediate LiveTV issue. Thank you for getting the fix out there!

It has been almost a month without LiveTV on my Family's Rokus. Is there not a way to get a bigger team put together of Emby Developers to get the Roku app fixed faster? 3+ weeks of downtime is pretty hard to swallow for anyone.

​I started this community posting almost 9 months ago? How much longer is it going to be before we get the replacement Roku App? I think everyone on this community posting is wanting to know. I know this has taken so long that I have heard of many users that have left Emby and went to the dark side (Plex).

Well if you just got it then you are on the official channel and updates can take forever for Roku to approve.  You are better off using the beta private channel or the Neon Blue app.

The other topics had fixes listed awhile ago.  And the new firmware (7.5 4099) should have fixed this issue also if you got it.

Replacement app is in the works, got to work out all the design and bugs.

Edited by Happy2Play

If you're on the public channel then 3 weeks is a realistic time frame for resolving an issue. First you have to figure out what the problem is, then make a fix, test it, and then go through the Roku approval process. That's why we have the private beta channel if you need faster turnaround time.

Additionally, the "fix" is only a workaround. This is actually a Roku firmware issue that is also resolved via newer Roku firmware versions.

SHSPVR

Well just the Roku and have say it need a bit of work as doesn't even come close to having a good fell when moving a round as in Windows 10 PC/Phone or iPad/iPhone

Happy2Play

Well just the Roku and have say it need a bit of work as doesn't even come close to having a good fell when moving a round as in Windows 10 PC/Phone or iPad/iPhone

You will get that when the app becomes available.

ginjaninja

the devs should check out how plex make use of the screen real estate..it is engineered very well, and imo the best media system ui which is saying something giving the mediocre performance and control options in the underlying hardware platform. Everything is well thought out; search by filter, next up, music playback , jump to destination on many objects, library navigation, even fidly playlist editing works very well on a tv at 2 metres with just up down left right enter. 99% of real world use is managed entirely through 'their next up, recently added, recently watched, rediscover' home screen tiles. Emby could do a lot worse building their ideas on top.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

I just had a look at the plex roku app on youtube that is one beautiful app. Emby app next to this is certainly ugly. I do use the roku app occasionally but because my pc that hosts emby is slow it takes very long time to transcode to roku as roku 3 that I have doesn’t support mpeg 2. Once I update the emby pc I will try it more often but hopefully it will look prettier as it looks now I just don’t bother to use it often.    

Happy2Play

What is the ETA though? We would really like a date. Thank you

Well depending on how many devs are working on it, it impossible to say.

• Like 1

Allan Cameron

It is impossible to give an exact date, if you understood coding and knew what was involved especially a new client from the ground up you would know this. It takes what it takes and all kinds of issues can arise while coding. Also testing must be involved before a beta can even be released otherwise you would have a broken beta . That's why you never get one weather it be Emby or Plex. It's ready when it's ready.

Edited by a1b2c3
  • Like 1

butch79

a1b2c3 and happy2play, I started this post 9 months ago. There is 1 developer doing everything, that has already been stated in previous posts. We need a date for this. Your customer base is begging for it to get completed, aka 5 pages of community chat on this. Why can we not get a date set for a beta test at least?

There is 1 developer doing everything, that has already been stated in previous posts.

I'm interested in where you got that impression...?

That is odd.

@@butch79

How did you obtain this information?

Knowing roku has shut down any public roku apps from updating or creating until January 7th.. How about after January 7th you can get angry and make your post again? Does that work for you?

Realize roku is on holiday, even if it were ready today, there would be no way to get it publically on the store. I also see ebr mentioned a public beta will be soon. This sort of implies a private beta may already be in testing. Who knows? Who doesnt?

You cant pin an actual real date because this would cause serious damage if the date were missed. You would be mad if the release date for it were postponed. You would be mad if the app wasnt even up to snuff when it was released, with features and design similar to other apps. Maybe this is why it isnt available yet?

This is all conjecture too.. Just be patient, wait, and see what the new year brings us. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
StLDreiling
I remember the day I chose Emby to replace my Serviio DLNA server. Best tech platform decision I've ever made (though I own a Zune and 3 Windows phones, so make of that what you will). Patiently waiting always seems to pay off for me and my family (case in point would be the recent UWP release of Emby Theater), so I'm very excited about the UX redesign for the Roku app.

​Question for @@ebr or luke: I just migrated Emby to a new server box and completed rebuilding my library, and now I'm watching the Roku plugin create HD thumbnails for my library of ~2,000 films, which I've calculated will take ~20 days to complete. Will apps built on the new SDK be able to utilize these thumbnails, or should I cancel the task and wait for the beta release of the app and an updated plugin?
Edited by StLDreiling

Yes it will use the Roku bif files.

And yes, we are working on a brand new Roku app with an updated look and feel.

• Like 1

Okay folks - here are some teaser shots to show you we really are working on it.  A limited functionality beta will hopefully be available soon.

5858532cf22ea_home1.jpg

5858533984c2e_home2.jpg

5858534aeff91_library1.jpg

5858535b89bca_moviedetail1.jpg

5858548eb62bd_moviesgrid.jpg

585854a034ba7_gridoptions.jpg

585853761ee42_albumdetail1.jpg

5858538600b6d_audioplayer1.jpg

58585395ad1a2_bif.jpg

• Like 5

StLDreiling

You can learn a lot about someone from their Emby screen grabs...

Lol that looks amazing! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

im85288

Looking nice..finally an "official" emby roku app will have fanart backgrounds. It's only almost 2 years since I put that in my version but patience is a virtue  ;)

• Like 2