Is Emby Roku team going to update client look/feel?

butch79

Happy2Play

Emby preview works great on the Roku 3 as previously posted, but it fails to launch on the Roku Ultra.  I get the Emby Preview splash page, but after about 4 seconds, I get dropped back to the Roku channel screen.  I don't see anything in the server logs since it never gets that far.

What firmware is your Ultra on?  I bet it is still on 7.2 and this app requires 7.5.

• Like 1

pclausen

Ah, the Ultra is on 7.22.  It has been in operation since October of last year.  When I do a "Check for updates" it says everything is up to date.  Is there a way to force it to update to 7.5? I have 3 Roku 3's and they are all on 7.5.

The app is marked in their system as requiring 7.5 but, it appears, that is informational only... :|

pclausen

Hmm, it seems that others with the Ultra started auto updating to 7.51 mid December.  Guess I need to contact them to see what can be done to get mine updated.  I know the latest generation Roku's were held back for a period from receiving the 7.5 update due to some issues still being worked out.

SHSPVR

That a dumber I have Ultra but I haven't had time to install and check it out

Windows 10 beta they keep me a bit to busy

gonesuper

Are their any plans to bring the preview to the newer now tv box via source? I have the rebadged roku 3 but obviously it has no access to the private roku channel

Are their any plans to bring the preview to the newer now tv box via source? I have the rebadged roku 3 but obviously it has no access to the private roku channel

Sorry, but we can't be sure at this time.

gonesuper

Sorry, but we can't be sure at this time.

any chance i could beta test it, if its source? Or is this going the way of the roku only plex app?

any chance i could beta test it, if its source? Or is this going the way of the roku only plex app?

It wont run on nowTV until sky get firmware 7.5x on their devices. So even if you could sideload the zip, it would give a compile error trying to install it. If you could install, it would immediately crash on launch.

Also, yes, you are correct the current TV apps (ios,android,roku) are all closed source. If you were expecting emby universe to be entirely open source, get ready to be disappointed. One of the things people mention is they prefer emby because it is open source. Well, no it isnt. Blame competition stealing from the code, blame poorly written code they dont want you to laugh at. Gotta blame it on something, blame it on the rain.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

Used the beta for several hours last night catching up on some television episodes. Didn't encounter any problems and everything worked well even subtitles. Will have to check it out with a few 1080p movies over the weekend.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

StLDreiling

It wont run on nowTV until sky get firmware 7.5x on their devices. So even if you could sideload the zip, it would give a compile error trying to install it. If you could install, it would immediately crash on launch.

Also, yes, you are correct the current TV apps (ios,android,roku) are all closed source. If you were expecting emby universe to be entirely open source, get ready to be disappointed. One of the things people mention is they prefer emby because it is open source. Well, no it isnt. Blame competition stealing from the code, blame poorly written code they dont want you to laugh at. Gotta blame it on something, blame it on the rain.

I think Emby does a pretty good job walking a fine line between stability/consistency of experience and openness. Happy to trade "full open source" for the kind of access we have to the dev team through the forums and the quality of the first-party experiences, especially when the platform remains open enough for you to push out the amazing Blue Neon Night and 7Illusions can keep making Ember a premier app on W10/M. I think it'll be when they start closing off important APIs to third-party devs or blocking third-party apps from release on "unsupported" platforms that I'll lose faith. And I say this as an 7-year-and-counting Windows Phone user.

Guys, the wife and I reckon the new app is looking awesome. She's hoping there will be a way to create or import music playlists - play and shuffle them :P

In 1.19 of the beta preview app you can now browse around while music plays and add items to the current queue.  Coming soon will be the ability to then save the current audio queue as a playlist.

Today's update starts to expand the Live TV implementation.

No recording management and no guide yet (except that you can see upcoming programs for a channel on that channel's detail screen) but you can start to see the Live TV features taking shape.

With last night's update, you should have started to see the home screen react to activity in the app - like refreshing next up and continue watching after playback.  That same behavior will soon be in the library screens as well.

• Like 1

Is the Roku thumbnail plugin still needed with the beta app?

If you want the during playback thumbnails, then yes.  Roku has not changed their implementation of this.