Issue Playing Next Track with Screen Off

dcrdev

dcrdev

In the latest version of the app with iOS 9.3.2 you cannot listen to music on the go in any effective way. Once the screen goes off i.e. display timeout the current track will continue playing, but once the track you are listening to finishes playback stops entirely instead of moving to the next track.

This makes it impossible to listen to music on the go without disabling the screen timeout feature which is not really an option as it it's a massive battery drain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just able to confirm that the same problem can be reproduced just by sending Emby app to the background while you are using any other app.

Repro steps:

1- open Emby app and start playing a song playlist or instant mix

2- while any song is playing switch to another app. Ie: Safari

3- keep using Safari while Emby app is in the background

Expected behavior: Emby app keeps playing all the songs from the playlist while in the background.

Actual behavior: Emby app will finish playing the current song but it will not continue playing the rest of the playlist. To continue playing the user needs to switch back to Emby app, wait for the next song to start playing and switch back to Safari to continue browsing the web.

This makes the app almost useless for music playing. :(

Device: iPhone 6

iOS version: 10.1.1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes we have to rework the way the app manages it's now playing queue, apologies for this issue. It is on our radar to resolve in an upcoming update. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
dcrdev

Agreed, this is not just another feature we all want - it's a fundamental bug that hasn't received any attention in months. Without this working as others have said the app is useless for music playback - I think at this stage you should be advertising that fact on the iOS app store.

Please please stop concentrating on minor visual tweaks when the basics don't work!

• Like 1

Steveo369

Yes recent updates have paved the way for this, so this is next. Thanks.

The issue with continuous playing of background music has been an issue for a very long time.  My primary use for emby is to stream music.  

This is great news that it's getting some attention soon, thanks Luke and the dev team!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
ryandavidg

Would really appreciate a fix to this. When I set up my music server I suggested to friends and family that they get this app, only to later realise it is currently useless for playing music as it shuts down after every song, which was both disappointing and a bit embarrassing. Currently in a holding pattern telling them "I'm sure it will be fixed soon", please, please make it a priority!

dcrdev

I honestly can't believe that you've let such a fundamental part of a product whose sole purpose is to stream media, go unfixed for coming up to 1 YEAR  .

The iOS app is quite frankly not even of alpha standards - I watch the beta thread frequently and all the testing seems to focus on UI issues; no focus whatsoever on anything else. You'd think with all that effort spent on the UI, that it would be a work of art; no that is not the case it's clunky as hell.

Current Problems:

• Playback of the next track doesn't work when locked.
  • Objects are misaligned.
  • Seeking / scrolling are a chore because everything is so horribly misaligned.
  • There's some kind of text object overlaying the video player, meaning if you even tap the screen slightly during playback you get a Copy/Paste dialogue pop up.
  • The back button works 50% of the time.
  • Any time you tap on anything the whole screen flashes.
  • The server dashboard screen has a permanent dark overlay after using the sidebar.
  • Video playback frequently freezes during the last 5% of playback.
  • The remote control stays connected to external devices after pressing "disconnect".
  • You can't view photos in full screen, or swipe to the left/right to navigate.

So explain to me how in any shape or form the above ^ is an improvement on just using the web app? It's not the iOS app is a waste of money, scrap that it's a joke! I'd be all for supporting the developers in the form of a donation, or app purchase if it weren't for the fact that everyone get's treated like shit in return.

• The same wooden response to every question "it's being looked into".
  • Major fundamental functionality bugs going unfixed for large periods of time.
  • No communication from developers whatsoever.
  • Focus entirely fixated on new features instead of fixing fundamental problems with existing features.

You resort to intrusive nagging screens in Emby server to try and coax additional subscribers out, because you feel most people who are using Emby, are using it for free, I wonder bloody why ^ .

I fully expect you won't respond to this - but it's here for everybody to see. 

Edited by dcrdev
  • Like 1

hi @@dcrdev, if you don't mind kindly discussing these UI issues by opening a new topic, we'd love to work with you to resolve them. Thanks !

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is resolved for the next release of the app, thanks guys.

The problem still exists with version 3.0.21 on my phone (OnePlus 3). Can you please have another look into this?