[BUG] MP4's won't play

Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

I know I'm doing a bad thing here by not supplying enough details, but if I don't start something now, I'm just never going to get to it! See, starting this thread will mean I'll end up with folks screaming at me to get logs and other info and that will get me moving, because then I know I'll have others waiting on me   :P

Anyhow, to get the ball rolling a little, is anyone having any issues with playback of MP4s via Emby Server v3.0.5986 through Emby for Samsung client v2.2.0e beta?

The MP4s are just bog standard MP4s grabbed from YouTube / Vimeo / websites. Nothing peculiar about them that I am aware of!? The MP4s play fine through...

• Media Player Classic - Home Cinema on my PC
  • the Emby Web Client in Chrome and Firefox; and
  • through DLNA on my Samsung TV which has the Emby for Samsung client installed on it

Its been happening to me for a little while now, so the last few server and client iterations. Further, for whatever reason the Samsung client is now also not wanting to show all MP4s listed in a particular sub-folder / library!?

I'll grab what extra info I can tonight.

Thanks folks,

Dodgy Bob

Edited by Dodgy Bob

FrostByte

What are they doing?  Just saying Loading... and that's it?  I'll download some MP4s tonight.  Everything of mine is mkv and works fine

Dodgy Bob

What are they doing?  Just saying Loading... and that's it?  I'll download some MP4s tonight.  Everything of mine is mkv and works fine

Yep, thats the one.

You hit play, "Loading..." in the top right corner comes up and then. . . . and then. . . . and - nothing!

I can hit back and I still have navigation, so things are not locking up, they're just simply not playing is all.

CBers

Do you have any transcoding logs created when they are "Loading"?

Do they have full media details on the web client? Can you post the Media Info.

Also, perhaps some combination of settings is stopping them from playing. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app and tried playing with the default settings?

Post the server logs for when the problem occurs, along with any transcode logs.

What model TV are you using?

SilentAssassin

That kinda relates to my problem with cinema mode not playing my trailers. They're all mp4 ripped from YouTube.

• Like 2

FrostByte

I just ripped an old Pooh BD and played the mp4 with no problems.  

Is there anything different with the YouTube MP4s?

578e0a27c62e9_mp4.jpg

SilentAssassin

When I reported this the other day the trailer at that time it was trying to play was for The Pact. Because trailers don't shown in the web interface here are the media info details for that particular trailer.

General
Complete name                            : \\NAS\Videos\The Pact\Trailers\'The Pact' Trailer HD_(720p).mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size                                : 17.9 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 353 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-06-05 15:58:48
Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-06-05 15:58:48
gsst                                     : 0
gstd                                     : 111315
gssd                                     : B027FFCCBHH1349462898800147
gshh                                     : o-o---preferred---sn-cn3tc-ajte---v8---lscache3.c.youtube.com

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 1 200 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 2 651 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.054
Stream size                              : 15.9 MiB (89%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 151 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 203 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 2.00 MiB (11%)
Title                                    : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-06-05 15:58:48

I have checked other trailers and the details vary with each.

If I browse to The Pact movie in the app and select the play trailer option, the trailer plays fine.

For reference my TVs are H6400's. @@Dodgy Bob what TV model are you having problems with?

Edit: I've just tried cinema mode on one of my other TV's which are still running the stable release and I get the same loading issue. Maybe something in a server update has broken this then.

Edited by SilentAssassin

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

OK, so this is what I have so far:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( A )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue description:
 * MP4s won't play.

Steps to reproduce:
 * Add an MP4 video file to the Emby library > Play it with Emby for Samsung client

My TV/HTS/BD Player model number:
 * TV = UA55HU8500W
 * HTS = HT-H7750WM

My firmware version:
 * TV = 1221
 * HTS = 1111

Other TVs etc. the issue has been reproduced on:
 * N/A

My Emby server version:

My current Emby Samsung client version:
 * 2.2.0e (beta)

Other Emby Samsung versions the issue can be reproduced in:
 * ???

Supporting information to include logs and pictures where applicable:
 * see screencaps

( B )

Server playback information:

{"Name":"Part 00 - DVDs Now Available","ServerId":"2ff621eff9734818b85bbbf952abaccc","Id":"76e40beba3c38cb9f91bec434111d20d","Etag":"b8bfe47fd0199af753cb16057c1a525b","DateCreated":"2016-04-22T23:08:18.6413153Z","CanDelete":false,"CanDownload":true,"SupportsSync":false,"SortName":"part 0000000000 dvds now available","ExternalUrls":[],"MediaSources":[{"Protocol":"File","Id":"76e40beba3c38cb9f91bec434111d20d","Path":"\\\\TMN-NAS\\emby\\Media\\Preaching\\The Fuel Project\\Know Your Enemy\\Part 00 - DVDs Now Available\\Part 00 - DVDs Now Available.mp4","Type":"Default","Container":"mp4","Name":"SD/H264/AAC","RunTimeTicks":705650000,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":false,"VideoType":"VideoFile","MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"aac","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/44100","DisplayTitle":"AAC stereo Default","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","Channels":2,"SampleRate":44100,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"LC","Type":"Audio","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},{"Codec":"h264","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/50","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":597410,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":3,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":480,"Width":640,"AverageFrameRate":25,"RealFrameRate":25,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"4:3","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":30,"IsAnamorphic":false}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":597410,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"DefaultAudioStreamIndex":0}],"Path":"\\\\TMN-NAS\\emby\\Media\\Preaching\\The Fuel Project\\Know Your Enemy\\Part 00 - DVDs Now Available\\Part 00 - DVDs Now Available.mp4","Taglines":[],"Genres":[],"RunTimeTicks":705650000,"PlayAccess":"Full","IsPlaceHolder":false,"RemoteTrailers":[],"ProviderIds":{},"IsFolder":false,"ParentId":"1127f76edbf7721058e605adfbaf9b4e","Type":"Movie","People":[],"Studios":[],"LocalTrailerCount":0,"UserData":{"PlaybackPositionTicks":0,"PlayCount":0,"IsFavorite":false,"Played":false},"DisplayPreferencesId":"dbf7709c41faaa746463d67978eb863d","Tags":[],"Keywords":[],"PrimaryImageAspectRatio":1.5,"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"aac","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/44100","DisplayTitle":"AAC stereo Default","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","Channels":2,"SampleRate":44100,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"LC","Type":"Audio","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},{"Codec":"h264","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/50","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":597410,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":3,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":480,"Width":640,"AverageFrameRate":25,"RealFrameRate":25,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"4:3","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":30,"IsAnamorphic":false}],"VideoType":"VideoFile","ImageTags":{"Primary":"e69929186eefc7b45c29db008727f44b"},"BackdropImageTags":[],"ScreenshotImageTags":[],"Chapters":[],"LocationType":"FileSystem","MediaType":"Video","EndDate":"2016-04-22T14:00:00.0000000Z","ProductionLocations":[],"LockedFields":[],"LockData":false}

Media information:

578e1bf78156b_mediainfo.png

Media samples:

* YouTube link here >>
Edited by Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Do you have any transcoding logs created when they are "Loading"?

Nope, doesn't look like it.
There are only directstream and transcode logs for the trailers that played prior to the MP4 "Loading..."

Do they have full media details on the web client? Can you post the Media Info.

I think I got it - see above.

Also, perhaps some combination of settings is stopping them from playing. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app and tried playing with the default settings?

Nope! Do I have to?   :P

Post the server logs for when the problem occurs, along with any transcode logs.

No transcode logs, but can attach the server log ... actually, where do i attach the server log?
Also, its like 8 meg!

What model TV are you using?

Got that as well. See above.

Dodgy Bob

For reference my TVs are H6400's. @@Dodgy Bob what TV model are you having problems with?

SilentAssassin my TV is a UA55HU8500W

Dodgy Bob

I normally use http://pastebin.com/ for log files and then just post the link.  There may be a limit to how much you can paste in a window though

Yeah, I just tried it just now and it bogs down under my paste!

I'll give it another burl and see what happens if I wait a little longer though. . . . 

Edit: Either I'm too impatient or PasteBin doesn't like 8meg log files! Can I just copy'n'paste the last few hundred lines or something? Is that likely to help?

Edited by Dodgy Bob

CBers

No transcode logs, but can attach the server log ... actually, where do i attach the server log?

Also, its like 8 meg!

Do you have a Dropbox or Google Drive account?

You can upload it and then post the link here.

• Like 1

FrostByte

If you know the prevalent section of the log you could just paste that part.  Or, you could delete/move your old log files and then retry your mp4 file.  It should create a new and much smaller log file then just containing the part needed.

FrostByte

No expert reading these logs at all.   I see some of your mp4 transcode and some DP (mostly YouTube trailers it looks like are the ones transcoding).  

Wonder if it's related to SamES issue with the changes in ffmpeg.  I'll just download something from YouTube when I get back to the house.  Maybe the smart guys will come and figure it out before I get back :)

• Like 1

Blueeyiz702

I use  >>  http://keepvid.com/  <<  from time to time, but most of the time i prefer to use an installable app from DVDVideoSoft called  >>   Free YouTube Download  <<

Dodgy Bob, opera also has a option where you can download video's in a variety of formats and resolutions. You can use both Google Chrome or Opera browser to do this.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I just used keepvid to make this YouTube video and it plays good without transcoding.  Not really much of a difference between mine and yours

578e60ebdc15f_mp42.jpg

FrostByte

That one works for me also.  Tried it on both my F and H series devices and it Direct Played / no transcoding on both