Stuttering in playback?

legallink

legallink

So, this isn't showing up in the logs, and I'm not sure how to document it, but recently we've experienced a "pausing" or buffering when playing certain movies on our Apple TV. It is direct playing the file so it isn't a transcoding issue and it is wired on the local network so it isn't a bandwidth issue. What can I provide that may help?

They are MP4's. I have.latest server on Windows 10 and latest Apple TV app.

corey

Hi legallink,

I have the identical setup to you and I've noticed this lately as well and this happens occasionally. It could be as much as 2-5 times in a whole movie.

I haven't been able to lock down exactly why this is happening.

Is it high bitrate content?

I've seen this only with high bitrate content (like 20-30Mb/s) and not specific to the Apple TV.

corey

I've seen this only with high bitrate content (like 20-30Mb/s) and not specific to the Apple TV.

I'd have to double check. For me it happens most often when I'm watching a Live TV recording that Emby has converted to MP4 but I definitely notice it with movies.

corey

I checked the bitrate of one of my live TV recordings and it is roughly 5000kbps.

legallink

It is an MP4, not high bit rate. It is compressed blu Rays. I'm a bit of a neophyte on this, but I think my bit rate is around 4mbps (based on the media info). It doesn't happen on any other platform, just the Apple TV. But to be fair, I haven't really tested iOS. I have no issues on Emby theater or web playback.

I've tested on a few movies and it is fairly recent. In particular zootopia and inception.

• 4 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

I saw this today playing an MKV rip of the movie "21" from a new i5 HTPC over my LAN to my AppleTV. Video stuttered or was garbled a dozen times over an hour of watching. Max streaming rate is set to Auto.

Edited by ShoutingMan

I saw this today playing an MKV rip of the movie "21" from a new i5 HTPC over my LAN to my AppleTV. Video stuttered or was garbled a dozen times over an hour of watching. Max streaming rate is set to Auto.

Sounds like intermittent network interruption.  Wired or wireless?

You might try setting a fixed bitrate in the mid range.