Initial sync not putting anything in the library

bozrdnag
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

bozrdnag

I havebeen running a MySQL db on Kodi for a few years now and decided to test out this Embyb for Kodi addon on one of my machines.  I removed the MySQL kines from advancedsettings.xml and restarted Kodi.  After setting up the addon it started syncing and it looks like it's doing it fine.  You can see all the movie titles as it's syncing, but when it's finished there are no movies in the library.  It's just empty.  I am running Emby Server 3.0.5986.0.  Here is my log:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AjVnhushK5VlyHzVuwdZsVbL_W9D

Anybody have an idea what the problem could be?  I have tried the "Reset local Kodi database" option multiple times along with uninstalling and reinstalling the addon and always get the same results.

• Solution
Angelblue05

@@bozrdnag

You will need to update your advancedsettings.xml. Kodi is wiping the entries from your library because the paths are add-on paths. You need to remove this, do a reset/resync your content and it should be good to go.

<advancedsettings>
                                              <videolibrary>
                                                <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate> <!----- REMOVE ------>
                                                <dateadded>2</dateadded>
                                                <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
                                              </videolibrary>
                                            </advancedsettings>
Edited by Angelblue05

bozrdnag

I should've realized that would need to be removed.  I upgraded to the latest stable version of Emby right before I saw your post and now it's been syncing for over an hour and still going.  On the previous version it was doing this much faster.  I didn't actually time it but it couldn't have been much longer than 10-12 minutes.

Angelblue05

Ok, you have two options: First, in the add-on settings > playback > Enable play from HTTP (this will enable direct streaming, bypassing your path issues, as long as you leave the video quality at default value). Second option, Go to your emby dashboard > library > path substitution. Your paths currently:

/mnt/Blu-Ray/The Deer Hunter (1978)/The Deer Hunter (1978).mkv

If you are using SMB to access your content, then you'll want your paths to look like (this is just an example):

\\SERVERNAME\Blu-ray\Movie (year)\Movie.ext

The final path needs to be valid. What you can do, is in Kodi settings > addons > install from zip > Navigate to your content, take note of the path at the top of the dialog and make your path look the same, with the help of the path substitution. Note, it is simply a string replace, meaning you could do a simple From: /mnt/ To: \\ServerName\ and that would affect all your paths that start with /mnt/.

Paths are retrieved in real time when using add-on playback mode (which is what you are using). So there's no need to restart or reset between attempts at playing something.

Edited by Angelblue05

bozrdnag

Are there pros and cons to the two methods?  For this setup everything is local so I would like the highest quality.

Angelblue05

Do you mean to say Kodi is on the same device as your server (where your content is located)?

And no, no real difference between the two. Both file playing would be the exact same. The only difference is how the file is accessed - Direct play - Kodi locates the file and plays it. Direct stream (which is direct playing as well) - Emby server provides the file to Kodi without alterations.

bozrdnag

OK.  I'm just looking to make sure there's no transcoding going on either way.  So in both scenarios Kodi as actually playing the file? By local I mean local network.  Thanks for such quick and thorough help!  It seems to be working good with Enable play from HTTP.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The add-on will only set to transcode if you lower the video quality in settings. So as long as it's set to default value, or highest possible, it should not transcode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Right now, with play from http enabled, your emby server is providing the file to Kodi since Kodi can't directly access it with how your paths are currently set up. But it doesn't use any cpu. The file is not being altered in any way since the video quality is set to default. If you set up path substitution in your server to correctly format your paths, like I mentioned above, Kodi should be able to access your files directly and Emby won't need to provide the file to Kodi. Hope this clarifies it. :)

• Like 1