[Portable Edition] Upgrade process?

ThermoDust
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ThermoDust

What is the upgrade method? Just overwrite the directory with the new source from zip? 

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to ask this. Whenever I click update or server auto updates, it fails. It says the update installed and after the server reboots it's always the old version.

Does the portable version allow auto updates by the server?

Happy2Play

It use to, but testing it now it isn't working.

Here is what I get in the log.  It looks like it is but never actually updates.  You tell the server to restart to perform the update but all it does is kill the current server process and never restarts.

2016-10-21 03:31:56.3894 Info Main: Emby
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby
	Application Path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2016-10-21 03:31:56.6360 Info Main: An update is available from C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\updates\MBServer.zip
2016-10-21 03:31:56.6360 Info Main: Copying updater to temporary location
2016-10-21 03:31:56.6390 Info Main: Copying updater dependencies to temporary location
2016-10-21 03:31:56.6660 Info Main: Starting updater process.
2016-10-21 03:31:56.6660 Info Main: Args: product=server archive="C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\updates\MBServer.zip" caller=8736 pismo=false version=3.0.8300 service= installpath="C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby" startpath="C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe" systempath="C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Portable Emby\System"
2016-10-21 03:31:57.1935 Info Main: Exiting to perform application update.

So you have two option to manually update.

Let the server download the update to the update folder and shutdown server.  Go to update folder extract the new system folder and replace the old.

or

Download the Zip from GitHub and extract system folder and replace current system folder.

Yes this is what I'm doing always. Have to go to GitHub every time. It would have been nice if it could be done by the server automatically.

Where the server downloads the file? inside updates folder I see only a small file named Mbserver.zip.ver

Happy2Play

Yes this is what I'm doing always. Have to go to GitHub every time. It would have been nice if it could be done by the server automatically.

Where the server downloads the file? inside updates folder I see only a small file named Mbserver.zip.ver

When there is an update the same zip you download from GitHub will be in there.

Jack Burton

Bit off topic, but what is the portable edition? Been using Emby for awhile and never heard it mentioned

PenkethBoy

Basically allows you to install emby in a folder of your choice or a usb stick etc

i use it for testing to have a second version on my machine - for me it does auto update

Jack Burton

Basically allows you to install emby in a folder of your choice or a usb stick etc

i use it for testing to have a second version on my machine - for me it does auto update

Cool thanx

for me it does auto update

Wow, the portable edition auto updates for you? Could be the location. Could you please tell in what path/folder you have unzipped it?

The portable edition is a must have and is the only edition that I use. The biggest  advantage is that all the database is inside it. So you can

put all of your server and media on a USB drive, then you can easily eject or copy backup that and connect to another computer and run it and have

all your library and resume and watch status transferred.

PenkethBoy

its installed to D:\Emby2

Stable version - auto updated from 8100 to 8200 - 18/10

8100 was the original install a few days before - 14/10

and just booted up and it wants to go to 8300

see screen shots below

post-134563-0-99394800-1477165735_thumb.png

post-134563-0-55634300-1477165736_thumb.png

post-134563-0-97379900-1477165737_thumb.png

post-134563-0-48705400-1477165738_thumb.png

post-134563-0-98292800-1477165738_thumb.png

I just clicked the restart button rest done by Emby