Smart Playlists

Pelon

Another big request from me for smart playlists please. An essential feature to be able to create active and interesting playlists for various options, I use them in Kodi all the time and really miss not having them in Emby. 

Hopefully won't be another two and a half years! :)

• 3 weeks later...
mhendu

Another vote for this feature - would be great to understand where this is on the roadmap. I'm also a paid user and would greatly appreciate the convenience of having a smart playlist feature in Emby.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

+1

I use smart playlists in Kodi. We are a multilingual household, so smart playlists filtering movies by certain audiostream really helps us. Would really like to have that in Emby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
jackandjohn

Echoing my comment in a related thread:

I’d like to suggest being able to make a smart playlist with “is in collection” as a criteria.

That way changes to the collection would reflect in the playlist automatically.

(Mainly looking for the ultimate solution to watching Star Trek / Marvel Universe / Arrowverse / etc in the correct order)

funwithmedia

Echoing my comment in a related thread:

I’d like to suggest being able to make a smart playlist with “is in collection” as a criteria.

That way changes to the collection would reflect in the playlist automatically.

(Mainly looking for the ultimate solution to watching Star Trek / Marvel Universe / Arrowverse / etc in the correct order)

Once we get Smart Playlists, Smart Collections will probably come shortly after (or maybe simultaneously), which might get at some/all of what you're wanting:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58063-emby-server-option-to-auto-add-to-collections-based-on-pathattribute-matching-rules/

jackandjohn

Once we get Smart Playlists, Smart Collections will probably come shortly after (or maybe simultaneously), which might get at some/all of what you're wanting:

As collections nicely display the movies and shows separately, they are not a solution for watching crossovers in order.

Playlists, however, are a sequence of videos and movies and be mixed with episodes. Once sorted by release date they do become the solution for watching crossovers in order.

funwithmedia

As collections nicely display the movies and shows separately, they are not a solution for watching crossovers in order.

Playlists, however, are a sequence of videos and movies and be mixed with episodes. Once sorted by release date they do become the solution for watching crossovers in order.

You can actually add tv episodes and movies to the same collection. But I agree with you that a playlist probably makes more sense for what you're wanting.

• Like 1

This is probably going to get very complicated very quickly but I imagine we are going to need the ability to treat these "smart whatevers" as either a playlist or a view - with a slightly different presentation and/or behavior for each.

• Like 2

jackandjohn

You can actually add tv episodes and movies to the same collection. But I agree with you that a playlist probably makes more sense for what you're wanting.

Oh yes, I just mean that collections of series and movies display those items separately as in this example:

post-430583-0-98432900-1562252287_thumb.png

funwithmedia

Oh yes, I just mean that collections of series and movies display those items separately as in this example:

attachicon.gif7CE7F990-FDFC-47EF-B07E-F7F1D54D31A6.png

Oh that's interesting -- are you not able to add specific episodes to the same collection that contains your movies? In the following test example I'm able to do that and have the episodes themselves (there's one the left and one on the right) display adjacent to the movies.

5d1e1f299d1a8_2019070411_43_51Collection

• Like 1

funwithmedia

This is probably going to get very complicated very quickly but I imagine we are going to need the ability to treat these "smart whatevers" as either a playlist or a view - with a slightly different presentation and/or behavior for each.

I agree -- I think that is probably the way to go. That way most of your underlying logic/codebase is the same which is more efficient. :)

In that vein, what are the things a Playlist can do that a Collection can not (I haven't used Playlists in Emby, only Collections)? Is it just the manual re-ordering and maybe some sorting options? Because I think I've seen Feature Requests for those to be added to Collections. But I know you can Play a Collection (though I've never had a need to do that), as well as Shuffle. It may be that we're seeing a convergence in functionality between these two features (Collections and Playlists) and that it may come down to just whether the user wants to treat it as one or the other in a given instance, but there may be a desire for all of the same options/functions in both.

jackandjohn

Oh that's interesting -- are you not able to add specific episodes to the same collection that contains your movies? In the following test example I'm able to do that and have the episodes themselves (there's one the left and one on the right) display adjacent to the movies.

Huh. It never occurred to me that adding a show to a collection was different than adding a Season was different than adding an episode.

I'm not a fan of how it currently looks visually, and adding episodes is time-consuming (I'd still like a smart playlist based on movies/series added to a collection) but you're right: everything is displayed in the right order.

post-430583-0-79454500-1562263182_thumb.png

Learn something new every day. Thank you.

Romek123

The best possibility would be if you could pin "Filter Folder" in the main menu.
In this folder it should be possible to create subfolders to sort intelligent lists and give them a structure. Like genres, top lists, time lines, special tags, studios,.... etc.
Then simply give the filter on the Emby Server the possibility to save it and select the folder.
I think that would be the easiest and also the best way to integrate the Smart Playlists.
Almost everything for this is already available in the Emby Server. If something is missing you only have to modify the filter options yourself.
As an addition it would also be possible to save the Smart Playlist Structure externally and to share it with other users.

Lists could than look like this:

Filter (Menu addet in Main menu like movies, playlist etc.)
  >Live-Action (self created Sub Menu)
        >Disney Live Action (saved Filter)
        >Anime LiveAction (saved filter)
 >Genre (self created Sub Menu)
        >Horror (self created Sub Menu)
             >Haunted House (saved filter)  
             >Vampires (saved filters)
             >Slasher (saved filter)

>Top Lists

>Top 50 Rotten Tomato - unwatched (saved Filter)

>Top 50 IMDB - unwatched (saved Filter)

>Top played episodes

>.....

>Cinema

>In Cinema right now

>Blockbuster

>Independent

>B-Movie

With this it would be possible to create optimal own filters and to allocate them.

MfG

Edited by Romek123
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
zachattack83

Very interested in this feature. I honestly would like to be able to build my own evening line up for my family to watch each day. With all the "on demand", I kind of miss the randomness of turning on the tv and seeing what episode of the show was on.

Hopefully this'll be a feature added sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...
Fabrice1973

Once this long awaited function will be released, could you please make sure these playlists would be available as channels on Android TV launcher?

• Like 1