FireTV Latest Update - Problems with Direct Play with x265 files

phantomscribbler
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

phantomscribbler

As of last night my FireTV updated to a new version of Emby, some nice changes, looks good however...

Every single x265 file I have is now transcoding... where as before they direct played, and this is killing my server, I only recently had my setup working perfectly, and loved using the amazon fire box, but this a bit of a deal breaker for me, I'd be happy if this was fixed, or if I can get a copy of the last apk, so that disable auto update and sideload the original so I can at least have a working system again.

christian875

yeah same here as i posted another topic on subject.  what I found is that most movie files I have that do not have soft coded subtitles play direct.  can you see if yours does the same?

phantomscribbler

The issue for me is purely h265, TV shows, I purposely remove all embedded subtitles from mkv's, and don't have many that have .srt files in them, I've not tried any others, as it was late last night when I realized that there was an issue, its only because all my new content is h265, and i've been swapping all my older shows to h265 recently.

Prior to last night update, everything played direct, that i tried, last night was a massive setback for me :( I had to resort to using my tablet, which works fine with no transcoding..

on another note, I noticed the direct/v indicator is now gone... I kinda want that back.

CBers

on another note, I noticed the direct/v indicator is now gone... I kinda want that back.

What are you getting instead ??

Has anyone sent debug logs from within the app to @@ebr ??

phantomscribbler

What are you getting instead ??

Has anyone sent debug logs from within the app to @@ebr ??

I'm getting no indicator, the only reason I know its transcoding is because of the inital few seconds of blocklyness before it goes sharp, and having the server dashboard up on my phone.

Not sure how to send relevant debug logs from the app.

CBers

Not sure how to send relevant debug logs from the app.

If you go into the settings option in the app and then back to the home screen of the app, you should get a SEND LOGS option next to Settings and Log Off.

I don't think I need a log from the app guys thanks.

I'm pretty sure this was a change made on purpose because it was identified by another member that 10-bit color x265 would not direct play.  It appears that was a problem isolated to his setup so I will reverse that change and see how you guys make out.

But first, all of you with this problem, please post the device you are using and the media info on an item that transcodes now and used to direct play.  Thanks.

• Like 1

phantomscribbler

578789fe5c9a5_Capture1.png

this is a basic one of mine, transcodes on a FireTV, worked fine before the lastest amazon update

Please post exactly which device you are using (1st Gen Fire, 2nd Gen Fire, Stick, etc.).  Thanks.

phantomscribbler

Please post exactly which device you are using (1st Gen Fire, 2nd Gen Fire, Stick, etc.).  Thanks.

Its the latest 4k Capable one, so 2nd Gen TV not the stick!

• Solution

1.2.24 should now properly detect the capabilities of your device as far as HEVC is concerned.

As soon as I can get some beta testers to confirm it is working properly, I can release to the public.  Thanks.

CBers

1.2.24 should now properly detect the capabilities of your device as far as HEVC is concerned.

As soon as I can get some beta testers to confirm it is working properly, I can release to the public. Thanks.

The HEVC videos I have, Direct Stream (Direct/V) on my Shields, but they transcode (Trans/I) on my gen1 FTV.

Is that expected?

The HEVC videos I have, Direct Stream (Direct/V) on my Shields, but they transcode (Trans/I) on my gen1 FTV.

Is that expected?

Yes.  The first gen Fire does not support HEVC.  Only the 4k models do.

phantomscribbler

I've got an odd one..

I recently swapped out a load of videos from SD to 1080p HEVC, last they played directly through FireTV (4k), but i noticed they reported as being SD, so on the server I did a refresh, they report fine, however it now appears to be transcoding, it plays fine, (but that might be due to my recently updating the processor to a quad core), but before it played direct.

5790a0899f9f5_Capture.png