VLCKit for unsupported formats

Kimcha

Kimcha

Hi,

Do you have any plans on integrating it with a video framework such as VLCKit to allow direct play of video formats the apple tv does not support natively?

I have been a user of plex and the plexserver on my raspberrypi and the inability to direct play a lot of my files was the main reason I have switched to Infuse. I am not quite happy with infuse and would much rather have a real media center app such as plex and emby.

I think adding this feature would make a lot of plex users switch to emby.

Thanks, Kim

• 4 weeks later...
Vlaves

Yes please, integrate VLCKit into Apple TV App as it is done on the Fire TV. That is really the only part missing on Apple TV.

Would be nice if a Dev could comment on this if it is planned at all :)

Are you having specific problems with the current player?  I have found it to be very good.

JMGNYC

Are you having specific problems with the current player?  I have found it to be very good.

The native player is excellent at playing h.264 and AC3 coming from mp4/m4v. In practice though that means a lot of transcoding and/or remuxing, the downgrading of most audio and there's still the problem of the DLS stream with LOTS of videos with odd ref frames not even being watchable.

Infuse and MrMC are doing a much better job of playing back HD audio and all sorts of files by using their own players instead of the native player. The problem with them is UI and library management.

mellomade

Ever since the remux capabilities have been added to the server for the ATV4 I have found the transcoding to be minimal.  All my files are MKV with h.264 for video - so the remux is huge for reducing server load.

I do get the argument about the HD Audio, and it is an important one - however since the ATV4 does not support any HD audio tracks (even with VLCKit it is passed as LPCM) I find that I don't actually have a desire to use the ATV4 in a setting where I have a 7.1 audio setup (i.e. - my theater room).  I primarily use it in my living room where I have a 5.1 system and honestly I cannot tell the difference between direct playback and the transcoded audio.

In my case the server only transcodes audio - which it is typically done with by the end of the intro credits to any movie.

EDIT:  FWIW I have had horrible luck with the Infuse app and with Kodi.  Too much trouble when Emby works so well.

Edited by mellomade

Ever since the remux capabilities have been added to the server for the ATV4 I have found the transcoding to be minimal.  All my files are MKV with h.264 for video - so the remux is huge for reducing server load.

I do get the argument about the HD Audio, and it is an important one - however since the ATV4 does not support any HD audio tracks (even with VLCKit it is passed as LPCM) I find that I don't actually have a desire to use the ATV4 in a setting where I have a 7.1 audio setup (i.e. - my theater room).  I primarily use it in my living room where I have a 5.1 system and honestly I cannot tell the difference between direct playback and the transcoded audio.

In my case the server only transcodes audio - which it is typically done with by the end of the intro credits to any movie.

EDIT:  FWIW I have had horrible luck with the Infuse app and with Kodi.  Too much trouble when Emby works so well.

I found that the preview while scrubbing forward/backwards only works when my content is MP4 with AAC audio.  If I try scrubbing with a MKV it does not display a thumbnail preview...

I found that the preview while scrubbing forward/backwards only works when my content is MP4 with AAC audio.  If I try scrubbing with a MKV it does not display a thumbnail preview...

That is correct but I don't believe you would get that feature with something like VLCKit either.

That is correct but I don't believe you would get that feature with something like VLCKit either.

Correct.  I was just clarifying that transcoding of audio isn't the complete solution.  If Emby server could somehow provide these thumbnails when scrubbing on non-apple native formats, that would be great :)