Media Center cannot find files to play

BigTalker

BigTalker

Hello,

I recently changed my codec package to Sharky because I wasn't happy with K Lite.  Everything is working fine except when I try to access television shows (in MKV format) through Media Browser 3 I get an error saying Media Center cannot find the file.  I have independently tested the files on the machine and know the paths are correct and the files are working properly with the new codecs.  Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?  Thanks in advance!

Cheesegeezer

Hello,

I recently changed my codec package to Sharky because I wasn't happy with K Lite.  Everything is working fine except when I try to access television shows (in MKV format) through Media Browser 3 I get an error saying Media Center cannot find the file.  I have independently tested the files on the machine and know the paths are correct and the files are working properly with the new codecs.  Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?  Thanks in advance!

I find Sharks Codecs very confusing to set up! Too many options, too many codecs.

Have you considered LAV filters. Simple to set up and pretty full of features.

Have you ensured that all your codecs are uninstalled prior to installing sharks. If you are on 64bit you will also need to install the 64bit addon and configure this too.

I actually wrote a guide for ffdshow installation which means that minimum filters need to be installed, here is the link

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1096-setting-up-codecs-using-ffdshow/

One final thing to do, to help you troubleshoot, is use graphstudio, a great little programme that tells you exactly what filters are being used for a video

Uninstall Shark.  Install LAV.

Pretty sure that will solve your issue.

The error message provided by WMC is terrible.  It tells you it can't find the file if anything goes wrong with playback.

BigTalker

Thanks for the replies.  I've been able to narrow down the issue.  If I have my sound (through control panel) set to 7.1, the files will not play.  But if it is set to stereo they play every time and there are no issues.  This is only an issus through Media Center as I can play all of the files without issue (and in 7.1) with the sound set to 7.1.  Any ideas how to fix this?

It is a problem with your codecs.  Most likely a difference between x86 and x64.

Did you install LAV?