DS916+ Emby transcoding performance

horstepipe

Ok, I think that is the issue, because there is another topic where numerous playback issues are being reported against the insider preview builds. But on Xbox stable version these issues are not reproducible.

willemavjc

Sorry but this is not related. Insider program has 2 sides: one for reporting issues, answering surveys, etc and one for testing M$ updates (OS, apps, etc). I am on the first one, which means I do not have access to unstable releases nor any "plus" things than any other XBO common player.

Edit: Just made my brother check on his XBO, no insider. Same issues.

Edited by willemavjc

Can you provide a sample video for testing? i am not able to reproduce the issue. Thanks !

• 1 month later...
barat

So I'll add something ...

I have VA API enabled in DS916+, but when transcoding mpeg4 (avi, mkv, DVD iso) to iPad, Synology CPU shows 98% usage ... should it be like this?

So I'll add something ...

I have VA API enabled in DS916+, but when transcoding mpeg4 (avi, mkv, DVD iso) to iPad, Synology CPU shows 98% usage ... should it be like this?

VA API is not used with mpeg4 due to it not supporting it.

I think some mpeg4 is supported but what was happening is it we started seeing it raising errors about some levels not supported. It became more practical just to not use it at all for mpeg4:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/2285

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/2485

[vaapi @ 0x7f4ee88a0240] No VAAPI support for codec mpeg4 profile 15.
[vaapi @ 0x7f4ee88a0240] If you want attempt decoding anyway with a possibly-incompatible profile, add the option -hwaccel_lax_profile_check.
[vaapi @ 0x7f4ee88a0240] No supported configuration for this codec.vaapi hwaccel requested for input stream #0:0, but cannot be initialized.
[mpeg4 @ 0x34bbf60] decoding to AV_PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported. Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted
[mpeg4 @ 0x34bc920] Context scratch buffers could not be allocated due to unknown size. Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted

barat

Make sense ... for mpeg4 DS916+ is strong enougth to make it via CPU (some file was displayed like 96FPS)

But maybe some try {} catch {} ? If no Exception then use HW, and if there is - fallback to CPU?

Edited by barat

• 4 months later...
nvader2000

I am having the same issue. I have to throttle back to 20 or 25Mbps to prevent skipping or lag and even then my Synology DS3516sx is well above 90% CPU. 

If I could get access to the beta I will be happy to test things out.

I am having the same issue. I have to throttle back to 20 or 25Mbps to prevent skipping or lag and even then my Synology DS3516sx is well above 90% CPU. 

If I could get access to the beta I will be happy to test things out.

Best thing to do is attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using this script to transcode the recordings from my HDhomerun.

It uses the ffmpeg shipped with Emby and uses the DS916+ hardware transcoding capabilites from both the decoding and the encoding. CPU usage stays around 50-60%.

Once the script finishes it deletes the ".ts" file and calls the Emby API to refresh a particular show in the library.

You'll need to change the API key before being able to use the script.

#!/bin/bash
APIKEY=changeme

if [ "$#" -ne 1 ]
then
    echo "A valid filename is required." >&2
fi

FILENAME=$(basename "$1" .ts)
FILEPATH=$(dirname "$1")

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -i "$1" -sn -c:v h264_vaapi -c:a aac "$FILEPATH/$FILENAME.mkv"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
    rm -vf "$1"
else
    exit 1
fi

tvshowPath=""
if [ -e "$FILEPATH/tvshow.nfo" ]
then
    tvshowPath="$FILEPATH/tvshow.nfo"
fi
if [ -e "$FILEPATH/../tvshow.nfo" ]
then
    tvshowPath="$FILEPATH/../tvshow.nfo"
fi

if [ ! -z "$tvshowPath" ]
then
    tvdbid="$(cat "$tvshowPath" | grep '<id>' | grep -o '[0-9]*')"
    curl -v -X POST -H "content-length: 0" -H "X-MediaBrowser-Token: $APIKEY" "http://127.0.0.1:8096/mediabrowser/Library/Series/Updated?tvdbid=$tvdbid"
fi

exit 0
Edited by numkem