DS916+ Emby transcoding performance

horstepipe

• 3 weeks later...

Will this VA API transcoding also be used for Live TV transcoding? I'm really now thinking of buying a DS916+ in case this is supported.

Is the VA API transcoding also supporting subtitles while transcoding?

Would be great if that could be clarified, so I can deside if I should buy that NAS.

Thanks a lot for the great support here :)

stratumorien

@@solabc16

Hi again,

I am following up on my request to support VA API for Live TV record transcodes (as per premier subscription option).

Appreciating any updates

@@solabc16

Hi again,

I am following up on my request to support VA API for Live TV record transcodes (as per premier subscription option).

Appreciating any updates

Hi ! Yes this is a great request. Please try to create new topics. This thread can quickly become hard to follow. And yes, that's something we plan to look at in the future.

• 1 month later...
Gabbe222

So can someone give some performance feedback on the DS916+.

How many simultaneously transcode streams can i expect to run without hell breaking loose :)

Scenario: 3 family members + me watching separate movies on separate clients.  4 transcodes at the same time

Will ds916+ be able to manage that?

Im looking to buy a NAS thats why iam wondering.

Have a nice weekend.

stratumorien

Practically speaking most media can be direct streamed to clients and doesn't require transcoding. However if in a situation where > 2 transcodes were occuring simultaneously, even with VA API, the 916+ is just not going to cut it with EMBY.

This is strange as Synology claims it can transcode 4K natively using HW transcoding, however they are not forthcoming with how this is implemented exactly.

Transcodes for me on my 916+ run about 1.3-1.5x but as I mentioned previously I rarely see it transcode unless a Live TV recording occurs. (and at this HW transcoding isnt yet implemented).

BTW: I am HAPPY with my 916+ and EMBY running on it. If I need to encode anything in mass I do it from my main PC using GTX 1080 and ffmpeg built to use NVENC... super fast!

Edited by stratumorien
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't turned on hardware acceleration yet for mine but I just wanted to clarify.  Can I use the VA API for my DS1815+ which is Avoton?  I only see Braswell mentioned so I was not sure if Avoton is supported at all for H/A.or if I am out of luck for this support on my system at this time.

Thanks

willemavjc

Hi @@solabc16, @@Luke,

How difficult would it be to make Emby works on Xbox?

I think something is going wrong between the app and the VA API because when enabling VA API and playing h265 movies, it transcodes to H264 (based on Dashboard infos) with a 20% CPU but Xbox displays NO video. When disabling h/w acceleration, videos play, with a 98% CPU.

Edited by willemavjc

• 2 weeks later...
willemavjc

OK. If I am correct, there is a wiki subject to learn how to extract these logs, am I?

Oh, by the way, how could I install a previous release? Clearly, emby is going worse at each release for Xbox One... 3.2.4 no longer works with XBO. (3.2.5 not available at the moment through Synology.)

OK. If I am correct, there is a wiki subject to learn how to extract these logs, am I?

Oh, by the way, how could I install a previous release? Clearly, emby is going worse at each release for Xbox One... 3.2.4 no longer works with XBO. (3.2.5 not available at the moment through Synology.)

@@willemavjc, the best thing to do is please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

willemavjc

Okay, so here we go.

Server is DS916+ (Intel Pentium N3710) with Emby Server 3.2.5.0-1, Client Emby Theater 2.0.1 for Xbox One, Movie HEVC/AC3.

Case 1: "Hardware acceleration" set to "None"

• CPU 98%
  • Movie does not start and finally lead to a loss of Emby Theater (kill required)
  • Dashboard indicates a transcoding mkv h264 ac3

Logs attached.

Case 2 coming soon.

server-63623913585.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-11fc6a0a-371d-446c-9e64-b2d2c6a45177.txt

Edited by willemavjc

willemavjc

Case 2: "Hardware acceleration" set to "Video Acceleration API (VA API) (experimental)"

• CPU 10-20%
  • Movie does not start and finally lead to a loss of Emby Theater (kill required)
  • Dashboard indicates a transcoding mkv h264 ac3

Logs attached.

The fact is that before, it was working in both situations:

• Case 1 was leading to a lot of freezing times, probably due to a cache being consumed faster than being rebuild.
  • Case 2 was playing fine, perfectly fine

I can't say if Emby Theater was recently updated, XBO keeps all apps up to date for you automatically. But I saw immediate issues when upgrading from 3.2.1 to 3.2.4 (and .5 now) on Synology.

Let me know if I can help furthermore.

server-63623913585.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-47623362-4b4c-4ad3-81fe-d5ff80292661.txt

Edited by willemavjc

solabc16

@@Luke, could this be a variant of the MKV issue with FFmpeg? That is a platform change between 3.2.1 and 3.2.4 and later, as per discussion on the release PM thread.

- James

willemavjc

@@solabc16 I do not believe so. @@willemavjc, quick question. Does this happen without the use of VA API?

Not sure to understand what you mean by THIS (happen). ^^"

If you are talking about no display on XBO and/or a kill required on Emby Theater, yes.

You said you enabled VA API on the server. What happens if you disable that?

willemavjc

Same. No display.

(Plus, the CPU Is reaching 98% on the server side.)

Edited by willemavjc