DS916+ Emby transcoding performance

horstepipe

stratumorien

Hi @@solabc16

Quick question... As hardware encoding isn't implemented yet in Live TV recording (Emby premier option to mkv) I have my TV shows recording in .ts format. I am happy to manually encode them on my synology for now but can't figure out how to successfully create a direct stream friendly file that preserves 5.1 audio (AC3 is fine)

Could you help me with an ffmpeg cmd line syntax that would convert my .ts to stream-able .mkv's?

Thanks,

Brian

solabc16

Hello All

A quick update for those of you following this thread, we've just completed a proof of concept for h/w transcoding on 'evansport' based machines.

i.e. DS214play, DS415play

The results look pretty good, but there may be a couple of caveats if you require subtitle rendering.

Here's a couple of screenshots...

580eb6e19e0a2_evansport_hwtranscode_acti

580eb6f2aa661_evansport_hwtranscode_syno

- James

willemavjc

Hello James.

Just discovered Emby and read this whole thread while wondering on a h/w transcoding feature. 

If I get it right, Emby can be installed on... DS916+, DS415play and Xbox One. I just have to go through the different markets, install them and activate Intel Quick Sync on the 916+ (VA API for 415play?)

Actually, I do have H264 and H265 movies with different audio formats such AC3 5.1, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS HDMA.

I am currently using another solution but I am getting bored of a permanent transcoding with a 100% CPU while the hardware is largely enough capable to perform the task. (Moreover, the Xbox One is also largely enough capable to have some direct play and handle transcoding, if needed, on its side ; but this is another subject.)

Edited by willemavjc

solabc16

any news regarding transcoding support on a XPENology? Would be great if this can be worked out :)

Hello @@Vlaves

It is something we'll look at further, once I have the Synology h/w transcoding support wrapped up.

The key is going to be seeing if we can find a sane way to introduce the kernel support needed.

- James

solabc16

Hello @@willemavjc

You would install Emby Server on your DS916+ and/or your DS415play : https://emby.media/nas-server.html (Synology Section)

You would installed Emby Theater on your Xbox One : https://emby.media/emby-theater-xboxone.html

The DS916+ is based on the 'braswell' processor, whilst the DS415play is based on the 'evansport' processor.

There is experimental support for h/w transcoding on the DS916+ using the VA API, so configure this under Manage Server -> Transcoding -> Hardware Acceleration.

Support for h/w transcoding on the DS415play has completed testing and is currently being packaged to include with the next stable release of Emby Server.

Direct play is always the preferred setup and should always be the primary goal; transcoding is great as a fall back and 'catch all' for the exceptions.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

willemavjc

There is experimental support for h/w transcoding on the DS916+ using the VA API, so configure this under Manage Server -> Transcoding -> Hardware Acceleration.

Support for h/w transcoding on the DS415play has completed testing and is currently being packaged to include with the next stable release of Emby Server.

Many thanks for the answer. Crystal clear. Congratulations for your work on DS415play! Hope you will eventually achieve the same on DS916+! \o/

Edited by willemavjc

Hope you will eventually achieve the same on DS916+! \o/

H/W transcoding is already working on the DS916+. It should work on all Braswell based Synology devices (see here) thanks to the work that @@solabc16 did and from what I gather Evansport devices will also be supported with the next build, as long as the VA API H/W transcoding is selected in Emby.

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@willemavjc, @@newb

Regarding the DS916+, @@newb is correct - h/w transcoding is now supported with the current stable releases.

It's marked 'experimental' still, as it's very new and we don't have significant feedback from the wider community yet.

The 'evansport' devices are on the way to being supported on stable.

- James

• Like 1

willemavjc

Starting the experience!

So far, I just got the whole thing installed and set up. Library scanning has started and takes some time to parse everything.

I will install Emby on Xbox One tomorrow I think.

In the meantime, I went to the dashboard. (So much more useful and interesting than the PMS.)

Hardware acceleration is now activated. =)

Can't wait to test it out on my few HEVC movies with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA audio.

Edited by willemavjc

willemavjc

OK ! Here is my review after a first hand on Emby :)

My results (Synology's CPU utilization, compliance, etc.) with VA API enabled within the Dashboard:

Version 3.0.8500.0

Via the web interface

Warcraft

• HEVC, Atmos, no subtitles : CPU 20%
  • HEVC, AC3, no subtitles : CPU 20%
  • HEVC, Atmos, subtitles : CPU 25%

Thor 2

• HEVC, DTS HDMA, no subtitles : CPU 20%
  • HEVC, DTS HDMA, subtitles : CPU 25%

Batman v Superman

• H264, Dolby TrueHD, no subtitles : CPU 30/35%
  • H264, Dolby TrueHD, subtitles : CPU 30/35%

Via the Xbox One

Warcraft

• HEVC, Dolby Atmos, no subtitles : FAILED - No video, audio splutters
  • HEVC, Dolby AC3, no subtitles : FAILED - No video, audio splutters
  • HEVC, Atmos, subtitles : Not tried

Thor 2

• HEVC, DTS HDMA, no subtitles : FAILED - No video, audio splutters
  • HEVC, DTS HDMA, subtitles : Not tried

Batman v Superman

• H264, Dolby TrueHD, no subtitles : CPU 30/35%
  • H264, Dolby TrueHD, subtitles : FAILED - No video, audio splutters

Bugs identified
  • Adding subtitles during playing is not well supported and brings unsynchronized audio track/subtitles
  • A critical video problem when playing via Xbox One
  • "Add Library" module, and more particularly the path selection, has a dysfunction which is not fully one: if Emby has no read access to a folder, it fails to add it but don't point it, instead it simply fails and you don't understand why. An error message would be clearer. "Put that fuckin' folder readable first! for example ^^

Personal thoughts, unrelated to the performance review

Things really good

• Once "Folders" option unchecked, the home and welcome page transforms into a nice and powerful dashboard (on Xbox One at least). Though there is still that weird and no useful "Collections" icon...
  • The movie description is quite nice with its image, synopsis, various tags (genders and technical info on the media) all useful and well presented ; "Staff" (maybe a bit too large) and "More Like This" is an interesting move, I wonder if you can search for an actor and then it displays all its movies
  • The movie grid is a win with its several categories on the top and the "dimming" option is clever to bring a quick focus for everyone's eyes. Perhaps that green border on the focused tile is a bit too much though. The "Alphabet" below is super useful.

Things not so good

• The one-minute limit on Xbox One is, I think, not a good move to force the Emby adoption ; especially when it does not work. On mobile devices, it can be understand ("wanna mobility? please support us") but consoles are rather close to PC or Bluray player and full part of entertainment.
  • Interface (web, xbox) lacks of a few things: unwatched icon for example, the quick info when focusing a movie tend to surcharge the interface, and that small movie icon is not necessary when accessing the movie description and playing the movie (the movie image is enough^^)

Conclusion:

Emby seems really promising. The Synology implementation done by @@solabc16 is powerful and the real problems seem to come more from web interface or xbox client than the Synology distribution itself.

To be able to compare, I did some testings with the hardware acceleration disabled. CPU usage increased like expected, and reached 70%. Nothing abnormal but it clearly demonstrates the gain of h/w acceleration brought by @@solabc16.

Edited by willemavjc

stratumorien

@@solabc16

Just a quick re-iteration of a request for the next synology release:

- Can hardware transcoding (VA API) be extended to Live TV recording-transcodes?

Thanks in advance

brian

willemavjc

I am curious, how Intel Quick Sync is related to Synology's NAS ?

I thought the only way to get h/w acceleration within Emby was via VA API.

Can someone clarify? 

Edited by willemavjc

solabc16

Hello @@willemavjc

Intel Quick Sync is not supported, at least for now, on the Synology platform.

So for 'braswell' based systems, the correct option on the Transcoding configuration page is "Video Acceleration API (VA API) (experimental)".

- James

solabc16

@@solabc16

Just a quick re-iteration of a request for the next synology release:

- Can hardware transcoding (VA API) be extended to Live TV recording-transcodes?

Thanks in advance

brian

Hello @@stratumorien

As prep work to see how the h/w behaves and test capability, can you record something (anything and only has to be a few minutes) then send me your logs (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs).

Let me know what the programme you recorded is.

- James

stratumorien

Thanks @@solabc16

Recording information is attached in the image/screenshot. I will forward the logs after recording is finished this afternoon. (Note the record setting is such that the video is transcoded into a streaming friendly format (mkv) as per the option for emby premier subscribers. 

Brian

post-143526-0-45134900-1478549751_thumb.jpg

stratumorien

********************************************************************************

Script invoked as [./sendlogs] by [root].

File Version : 3.0.8500.0-1

********************************************************************************

This script will collect support logs into a single compressed archive and send

them to Emby over a HTTPS connection to assist with support issues, future

developemnts and package improvements. PLEASE ONLY USE AS DIRECTED BY SUPPORT

Type [yes] and press return to continue: yes

>> Creating archive...

SUCCESS

>> Sending archive...

-- Size: 38M

-- HTTP Status: 200

SUCCESS

>> Cleaning up...

SUCCESS

Upload completed successfully, please include this filename with your ticket...

sendlogs_MEGAMIND_synology_braswell_916+_20161107T211412UTC.tgz                            

Edited by stratumorien

@@willemavjc great feedback, thanks. I'll be happy to look at some of those failing cases if you want to open separate topics for them. Also, we display watched indicators, not unwatched. If you feel unwatched would be better, I would also suggest opening a topic about that and we can get a conversation started about it. Thanks !

willemavjc

@@willemavjc great feedback, thanks. I'll be happy to look at some of those failing cases if you want to open separate topics for them. Also, we display watched indicators, not unwatched. If you feel unwatched would be better, I would also suggest opening a topic about that and we can get a conversation started about it. Thanks !

OK ! I'm out for a few days but I'll try to start that soon, plus add logs for @@solabc16

Once again, thank you all for the great job you already did with Emby.

Edited by willemavjc

I ran into an issue when casting a certain episode from the Android app to my Chromecast with VA API enabled. It would seem that VAAPI does not support mpeg4 profile 0.

Here is an extract from the transcoding log - the full log is littered with these messages:

[vaapi @ 0x7fdee8000960] No VAAPI support for codec mpeg4 profile 0.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee8000960] If you want attempt decoding anyway with a possibly-incompatible profile, add the option -hwaccel_lax_profile_check.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee8000960] No supported configuration for this codec.vaapi hwaccel requested for input stream #0:0, but cannot be initialized.
[mpeg4 @ 0x6a8220] decoding to AV_PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
[mpeg4 @ 0x6a8b20] Context scratch buffers could not be allocated due to unknown size.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee0000960] No VAAPI support for codec mpeg4 profile 0.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee0000960] If you want attempt decoding anyway with a possibly-incompatible profile, add the option -hwaccel_lax_profile_check.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee0000960] No supported configuration for this codec.vaapi hwaccel requested for input stream #0:0, but cannot be initialized.
[mpeg4 @ 0x6a8b20] decoding to AV_PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
[mpeg4 @ 0x6abe80] Context scratch buffers could not be allocated due to unknown size.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee4000960] No VAAPI support for codec mpeg4 profile 0.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee4000960] If you want attempt decoding anyway with a possibly-incompatible profile, add the option -hwaccel_lax_profile_check.
[vaapi @ 0x7fdee4000960] No supported configuration for this codec.vaapi hwaccel requested for input stream #0:0, but cannot be initialized.
[mpeg4 @ 0x6abe80] decoding to AV_PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted
[mpeg4 @ 0x6a8220] Context scratch buffers could not be allocated due to unknown size.
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Operation not permitted

Full logs have been sent via the sendlogs utility:

sendlogs_diskstation_synology_braswell_216+II_20161112T184349UTC.tgz