DS916+ Emby transcoding performance

horstepipe

solabc16

Hi Brian

Thanks for the update, did the update to 3.0.8100 run smoothly for you?

Hardware transcoding is certainly something we're continuing to look into.

- James

solabc16

Hi Brian

Thanks, when you have a moment, can you let me know what happens if you select the VA API option.

- James

Edited by solabc16

stratumorien

I tied calling Synology support to gather more information on what this "transcoding engine" is... they wouldn't tell me as its proprietary they said, so sad. If I was to download DS Media Server and play some HD video... is there a way to gleam from the logs what they are leveraging for transcoding? I do know that they use an older version of ffmpeg in the package.

5802088a6b083_transcode.jpg

Edited by stratumorien

stratumorien

I installed DS VideoStation and attempted playback of *.mkv through browser. FFmpeg process was started (see below). Not sure if this is helpful. The playback was flawless and claims to use hardware accel.

root@MEGAMIND:~# ps -aux |grep ffmpeg
root     17487 90.6  0.5 146060 43068 ?        Rl   06:34   3:19 /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg -ss 0.000 -i /volume1/Movies/Transformers_Dark_of_the_Moon_(2011)_[1080p]/Transformers_Dark_of_the_Moon_(2011)_[1080p].mkv -threads 0 -vcodec copy -vsync 2 -vbsf h264_mp4toannexb=repeatheader -acodec libfaac -ab 256k -ac 2 -f ssegment -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -hls_seek_time 0 -segment_time 8 -segment_time_delta 0.000 -segment_start_number 00000 -avoid_negative_ts 0 -break_non_keyframes 1 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 /tmp/VideoStation/HLS/adc9fd66d5a5478ea77e2a7bbe1cbda7_Cu9rxvLj/slice-%05d.ts

Furthermore....

root@MEGAMIND:~# /var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg version 2.7.1 Copyright © 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) 20150311 (prerelease)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr/pkg --incdir='${prefix}/include/ffmpeg' --arch=i686 --target-os=linux --cross-prefix=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- --enable-cross-compile --enable-optimizations --enable-pic --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaac --enable-encoders --enable-pthreads --disable-muxer=image2 --disable-muxer=image2pipe --disable-swscale-alpha --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --disable-doc --disable-devices --disable-bzlib --disable-altivec --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libmp3lame --disable-decoder=amrnb --disable-encoder=zmbv --cc=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-yasm --enable-libx264 --enable-encoder=libx264
  libavutil      54. 27.100 / 54. 27.100
  libavcodec     56. 41.100 / 56. 41.100
  libavformat    56. 36.100 / 56. 36.100
  libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
  libavfilter     5. 16.101 /  5. 16.101
  libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
  libswresample   1.  2.100 /  1.  2.100
  libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

Edited by stratumorien

solabc16

Hello @@stratumorien

The folks at Synology haven't made it easy, and they do like to use the term 'proprietary' in their default responses.

There's certainly plenty of discussion around what they are doing, but that's not something to get into here.

When you playback the same file via Emby, what happens? Can you attach the relevant logs.

The real goal, as I've discussed elsewhere, is to avoid transcoding full stop. From a technology perspective it's as interesting as it is complex, and it's a good fallback when there are no other options, but ultimately you don't want to be doing it unless you really need to.

- James

Edited by solabc16

stratumorien

Hi @solabc

This same file when played via Emby through Chrome does not transcode... It direct streams and plays great. However live TV always transcodes from my HDHR particularly when I record shows and convert on the fly using the option in Emby server.

ffmpeg-remux and emby server log attached

Will send Synology logs once boys finish their show and I can shut emby down an start-up VideoStation.

Log.txt

transcode_emby_TF_DSM.txt

Edited by stratumorien

solabc16

Hello @@stratumorien

Thanks for the above, no need to shutdown/startup though, the diagnostics will grab the relevant info in the background and won't impact what you're currently doing.

- James

stratumorien

Hi @solabc

root@MEGAMIND:/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities# sudo ./sendlogs

********************************************************************************
Script invoked as [./sendlogs] by [root].
File Version : 3.0.8100.0-1
********************************************************************************

This script will collect support logs into a single compressed archive and send
them to Emby over a HTTPS connection to assist with support issues, future
developemnts and package improvements. PLEASE ONLY USE AS DIRECTED BY SUPPORT

Type [yes] and press return to continue: yes

>> Creating archive...
SUCCESS

>> Sending archive...
-- Size: 3.2M
-- HTTP Status: 200
SUCCESS

>> Cleaning up...
SUCCESS

Upload completed successfully, please include this filename with your ticket...
sendlogs_MEGAMIND_synology_braswell_916+_20161015T130239UTC.tgz                                                

stratumorien
Yep... @@solabc16

root@MEGAMIND:~# ls -l /dev/dri/
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 226,   0 Oct  9 18:34 card0
crw------- 1 root root 226,  64 Oct  9 18:34 controlD64
crw------- 1 root root 226, 128 Oct  9 18:34 renderD128
root@MEGAMIND:~#

*EDIT: Just for giggles I tried all three as nodes in EMBY config... all give same response

[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x6693a0] No VA display found for device: /dev/dri/renderD128.
[vaapi @ 0x639be8] Failed to create a VAAPI device
Edited by stratumorien

stratumorien

Also,

I have tried to change the ffmpeg version being used to system.... but EMBY keeps using it own. When I specify the ffmpeg path to use it returns an error that it cannot find it (but its there...)

Also,

I have tried to change the ffmpeg version being used to system.... but EMBY keeps using it own. When I specify the ffmpeg path to use it returns an error that it cannot find it (but its there...)

It's currently a generic message. It might also be there but rejecting it. If you can provide your server log I may be able to tell you why.

solabc16

What path were you trying to configure Emby to use? This 'feature' is unlikely to work well, if at all on the Synology platform.

- James

I would still like to know why it rejected the custom build though, just so that i can improve the error message. thanks.

stratumorien
root@MEGAMIND:~# /usr/bin/ffmpeg

ffmpeg version 2.7.1 Copyright © 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers

built with gcc 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) 20150311 (prerelease)

configuration: --prefix=/usr --incdir='${prefix}/include/ffmpeg' --arch=i686 --target-os=linux --cross-prefix=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- --enable-cross-compile --enable-optimizations --enable-pic --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaac --enable-encoders --enable-pthreads --disable-bzlib --disable-protocol=rtp --disable-muxer=image2 --disable-muxer=image2pipe --disable-swscale-alpha --disable-ffserver --disable-ffplay --disable-devices --disable-bzlib --disable-altivec --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libmp3lame --disable-vaapi --disable-decoder=amrnb --disable-encoder=zmbv --disable-encoder=dca --disable-encoder=ac3 --disable-encoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=dca --disable-decoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=truehd --cc=/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc --enable-yasm --enable-libx264 --enable-encoder=libx264

libavutil      54. 27.100 / 54. 27.100

libavcodec     56. 41.100 / 56. 41.100

libavformat    56. 36.100 / 56. 36.100

libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100

libavfilter     5. 16.101 /  5. 16.101

libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101

libswresample   1.  2.100 /  1.  2.100

libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100

Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder

usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

Trying to change custom ffmpeg path in settings to use the above /usr/bin/ffmpeg gives the error message in the image below

5802d6b501504_error.jpg

attached is the server log, with debugging checked shortly after this message. Note that returning to the setting shows it reverted to the emby ffmpeg path.

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg

Log.txt

stratumorien

Hello @@stratumorien

I've sent you a PM with an alternate package source location, so we can try a few things.

- James

Cool... boys are asleep. will take a look

solabc16

Morning @@stratumorien

How did you get on, did you manage to get the updated package installed ok?

Let me know when you have a chance and we'll follow up with the next steps.

Synology do not include FFprobe with DSM, so the error you are getting when trying to swith to the version of FFmpeg found in /usr/local is expected.

- James

*** For reference and for anybody else reading this thread, within the context of running on Synology, I do not recommend changing this setting. ***

Edited by solabc16

stratumorien
Good morning to you @@solabc16

I did get the development package installed, thanks. I currently have to head out for weekly groceries and then will be taking the family to the circus. I will be back middle of the afternoon today and can do some testing then. In the meantime if you provide instructions  on next steps I can get right back to you with results...

Note that I have tried other paths to ffmpeg also that do contain ffprobe and get the same result. For example see in the path below to VideoStation there is a ffmpeg_vaapi? Interesting.....?

root@MEGAMIND:/var/packages/VideoStation/target/bin# ls -l ff*

-rwsr-x--- 1 root         VideoStation   226152 Oct  6 11:50 ffmpeg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 VideoStation VideoStation 16526960 Oct  6 11:50 ffmpeg_vaapi

-rwxr-xr-x 1 VideoStation VideoStation   143040 Oct  6 11:50 ffprobe