DS916+ Emby transcoding performance

horstepipe

horstepipe

hey

anyone here who owns a DS916+ and can tell me something about the (Emby) transcoding performance?

chris3452

Pretty poorly currently. Right now maybe could handle one 1080p transcode. The chip uses Intel quick sync for hardware transcodes which emby does not use. But and big but there is long forum in general discussion and at the end they have got hardware transcodes working. If they work it out it transcode ability will match what synology publishes. One side note I don't have one personally just been researching it cause it is the one I am getting next month

horstepipe

Pretty poorly currently. Right now maybe could handle one 1080p transcode. The chip uses Intel quick sync for hardware transcodes which emby does not use. But and big but there is long forum in general discussion and at the end they have got hardware transcodes working. If they work it out it transcode ability will match what synology publishes. One side note I don't have one personally just been researching it cause it is the one I am getting next month

Sorry but it is quite unclear what you want to say.

Is Intel Quick Sync working or not?

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

Hello @@horstepipe

Are you running the new Emby package for Synology - http://emby.media/nas-server.html?

If so, can you playback some h264 content and then send your logs using the procedure detailed here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

- James

Hey

Sorry I don't own the DS916+ yet.

If I was sure that hardware transcoding works properly in most cases I'd get it immediately.

Regards

chris3452

The last one gets you.  I am going to buy a 916+ next month myself so I will keep watching closely also.

Chris

• Like 1

Vlaves

As Synology is useing ffmpeg for hardware transcoding as far as I know, shouldn't it be possible to utilize their ffmpeg while transcoding?

As far as I can see, this is what exactly is beeing done on QNAP if I hve a look at their packeges, they have one using their ffmpeg.

If some of the devs could comment on that please it would be great. :)

I don't believe they expose it for other apps to utilize. Nonetheless, we have already added Quick Sync support so you should be fine with that.

ChannelZ

Nonetheless, we have already added Quick Sync support so you should be fine with that.

So, let me clarify.

Quick Sync is working on Intel-based Synology boxes?  Yes or no?

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@ChannelZ

In theory we should be able to take advantage of the underlying hardware, however this isn't something we've been able to get into in any detail, prior to getting the Emby supported Synology package released.

Do you own a DS916+?

If you do (or anybody else reading this owns a NAS which has QSV support), let us know so we can follow this up in more detail.

- James

ChannelZ

Hello @@ChannelZ

In theory we should be able to take advantage of the underlying hardware, however this isn't something we've been able to get into in any detail, prior to getting the Emby supported Synology package released.

Do you own a DS916+?

I don't.  I was thinking of getting one, but only if QS works.  I currently have a Drobo 5D running off a Dell Optiplex, which I run Windows on.  Quick Sync works great on that (i3-6100), shame very little else is reliable (Drobo, bleugh).

stratumorien

I just bought a DS916+ and setup Emby server. On the playback settings in Emby server management when I set to use Hardware Transcoding, Intel Quick Sync I get a spinning circle that doesn't stop. Currently playing HD 1080p video on nvidia shield client app and ffmeg is running using 25%cpu on synology. 

Playback is ok "at best". It stutters with periods where frame rate tanks. 

I fI close server settings and come back to the playback tab I see that quick sync is selected. However I cant confirm it is actually working as when I click "save" again it start the spinning circle again and doesn't stop.

Brian

stratumorien

Video playback fails unless Hardware Acceleration is disabled.  I am now trying to get Live TV to play via MediaPortal. When playback is successful it uses 98% CPU and stutters like crazy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
solabc16

Hello @@moulin

Thanks for the logs, appreciated. If I give you access to the beta channel, would you mind updating to the latest beta and running the diagnostics/send logs again?

- James

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hi @@moulin

The latest set of updates have been rolled up into release 3.0.7300, so if you can update to that version and run some tests.

If you can run the diagnostics afterwards and send the logs, that would be great.

Thanks

- James

• 2 weeks later...
stratumorien

Apologies for losing sight of this. I had gone back to running the server on my intel NUC but recently took the plunge back to Synology as I have had more success with direct play of Live TV. I however am still very interested in functional hardware transcoding on the Synology.

I just updated my Synology to .8100 package release just recently. Was the hardware transcoding configuration removed or am I just overlooking it? 

EDIT* I just now noticed that it has its own sub menu now, cool! Any progress towards this in the current build?

If I can still help by contributing logs from my 916+ I am happy to do so.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by stratumorien