After sleep, Sometimes get a very distorted video

mgworek

mgworek

It started after the last updated. After the Apple TV wakes up, I started a video and it looks very cloudy and blurry and bad resolution. A reboot of the Apple TV fixes the problem. A remote user had it happen to him as well but he had to uninstall the client and reinstall for it to fix itself. A simple reboot didn't help.

It's only happened a handful of times but wanted to report it.

Sounds to me like reduced network throughput.  The app tests your connection and requests a bitrate that will work with what is available.  If the network (or server) is bogged down at the time, then it may request a very low bitrate.

eightpots

It happens to me also. This can be replicated by doing the following.

- play about 5 min of a video

- then pause it for a couple mins,

- then play again.

It will start playing fine for about 30seconds then will go very blurry for about 15 to 20 seconds. Usually, it comes good again after that. In some instances the picture and sound go out of sync, this requires a reset of emby.

mgworek

Happened again last night. There was nothing going on with my network. Nothing was downloading, no one was watching anything. No one was even using the internet, I was home alone for once! :) heh. Normally when my server doing something that requires high memory or cpu, the video won't play or freezes, it never distorted the video before.

This all sounds like the adaptive bitrate that HLS streaming was designed to support.  It adjusts itself automatically to current network conditions I believe.

Wireless or wired network?

eightpots

Mines wired with a dedicated windows 10 box running nothing else but emby. All the windows crap has been removed.

I'm just not sure. I haven't seen this behavior but I don't use the device on a daily basis.

Perhaps the Apple TV is doing some background operation upon waking up (like checking for updates) and this interferes with its video playback temporarily...?