Audiobook support

horstepipe

Chyron
On 2/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, daedalus said:

yes but there is literally nothing new on this topic, just the track number in the detail screen of your playlist only

Wait... why is that important?

What I want, when I click my current book in Continue Listening, is for it to queue the whole book. It currently only queue's the one track. Displaying track numbers has no impact on that.

image.thumb.png.1a0624f148967d5870fb5d6aa77700e8.png

• Like 2

hobesman
13 minutes ago, Chyron said:

What I want, when I click my current book in Continue Listening, is for it to queue the whole book. It currently only queue's the one track. Displaying track numbers has no impact on that.

image.thumb.png.1a0624f148967d5870fb5d6aa77700e8.png

One reason it helps is because sometimes books will be tagged the same title for each track, so the only way to know what track it is would be the track number.

But in principle I agree, it's pretty minor as far as audiobook support goes, and it's easily avoidable if you tag the file with the track number as part of the Title tag.

Edited by hobesman

daedalus
25 minutes ago, hobesman said:

and it's easily avoidable if you tag the file with the track number as part of the Title tag.

u should not have to do that, its just bad tagging

38 minutes ago, Chyron said:

it was more to cover the progress thats was announced on this topic, but it is kind a important, cause disc/tracknumber should be shown everywhere in general, but especially would be usefull in the "playback banner" to eg get a clue how far u are in the playlist (playlist position) and more important how far u are in your current book listening (disc and tracknumber)

Edited by daedalus

hobesman
36 minutes ago, daedalus said:

u should not have to do that, its just bad tagging

I agree. I was just saying that for importance of features, ones with workarounds like this are generally less important than issues with no workaround.

• Like 2

daedalus

sure, but even if the available programs can do this with ease (emby u hear?, multi-editing in the metadata manager 🤷‍♂️ ), it has an impact on other programs that u problay use

and as u tend to overlook, this thread is now 5 years old

Edited by daedalus

negativzeroe
6 hours ago, daedalus said:

sure, but even if the available programs can do this with ease (emby u hear?, multi-editing in the metadata manager 🤷‍♂️ ), it has an impact on other programs that u problay use

and as u tend to overlook, this thread is now 5 years old

It is five years old and still an issue. Some things are nitpicky (playback speed) but some things are relatively breaking. To this day if I download an audiobook offline it starts over every single time, only streaming through the library (the online version) saves progress. Like OK so I guess I will use emby to download the book offline and play it in a different player that is actually functional because my choice is either use my data or start my book over every time I play it. Try listening to Wheel of Time offline see how well that works for you.

• Like 2

negativzeroe
On 2/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, negativzeroe said:

It is five years old and still an issue. Some things are nitpicky (playback speed) but some things are relatively breaking. To this day if I download an audiobook offline it starts over every single time, only streaming through the library (the online version) saves progress. Like OK so I guess I will use emby to download the book offline and play it in a different player that is actually functional because my choice is either use my data or start my book over every time I play it. Try listening to Wheel of Time offline see how well that works for you.

To update this, it turns out that Android 11 removes access to your /sdcard/Android/data library folder so now downloading through emby is 100% useless for audiobooks unless you downgrade to A10 (which would not be feasible if you have a device that shipped with 11). - Unless we get the option to download where we wish. But even then I'd rather time be spent on saving local progress than changing download directories if I had my choice.

Edited by negativzeroe
  • Like 1

Chyron
5 hours ago, negativzeroe said:

To update this, it turns out that Android 11 removes access to your /sdcard/Android/data library folder so now downloading through emby is 100% useless for audiobooks unless you downgrade to A10

Well, crap.

Does no one actually care about developing a streaming media player for audiobooks? Plex doesn't have album-level resume; Emby doesn't have it; Chronicle's dev has been MIA for several months; and a release for Bookcamp is nowhere in sight.

This is ridiculous.

• Sad 1

ok my solution for audiobooks in emby work very well... i use m4b files...and i think the track position feature works good...

i need a sleep timer this could be nice

• Like 1

Chyron
4 hours ago, mxmh said:

ok my solution for audiobooks in emby work very well... i use m4b files...and i think the track position feature works good...

You mean you use a single m4b file for each book? Does Emby show chapter marks/titles? Because I really like knowing what chapter I'm on.

negativzeroe
12 hours ago, Chyron said:

Well, crap.

Does no one actually care about developing a streaming media player for audiobooks? Plex doesn't have album-level resume; Emby doesn't have it; Chronicle's dev has been MIA for several months; and a release for Bookcamp is nowhere in sight.

This is ridiculous.

I used to use booksonic, I just don't want to have to use a separate server application when the one I use for everything else claims to have the functionality. Might have no choice though soon.

4 hours ago, mxmh said:

i need a sleep timer this could be nice

Do you download them offline? Then listen to the downloaded copy?

i have one part m4b file for each book... the download offline feature i had not use yet... and i need not the chapter.. it could be nice.. but not implement

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

I guess .mka support won't come to apple tv?

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

I guess .mka support won't come to apple tv?

The app supports playback of all server supported audio formats.

• Haha 1

boblmarl

OK, this can not be all that hard for the developer. If you change the audiophile extension from .mp3 to .mpg , make a new library and  add your audio files  as TV shows (you must make your own thumbnail's ...  if you want that)  it will play and resume perfectly.  The only problem is the screen will not timeout and go dark. Once that happens playing stops. Emby doesn't give a crap about audiobook support cuz they see it as a perk.   I don't understand why this is called a media player (take your media anywhere) when its really just a video player with some audio support.   This shouldn't be considered a wish list item because it is media.  You know the thing you say I can access and play . 

• Like 1

CloudWing93
7 minutes ago, boblmarl said:

OK, this can not be all that hard for the developer. If you change the audiophile extension from .mp3 to .mpg , make a new library and  add your audio files  as TV shows (you must make your own thumbnail's ...  if you want that)  it will play and resume perfectly.  The only problem is the screen will not timeout and go dark. Once that happens playing stops. Emby doesn't give a crap about audiobook support cuz they see it as a perk.   I don't understand why this is called a media player (take your media anywhere) when its really just a video player with some audio support.   This shouldn't be considered a wish list item because it is media.  You know the thing you say I can access and play . 

I'm waiting for some rich audiobook support as well. Just like any feature it needs to be prioritized. Just be patient. There are plenty of people that want this feature but the amount of people that need audiobook support is much smaller than those impacted by other feature work. I'm confident the devs will get to this as soon as they can.

boblmarl

I've been patient, I've been waiting for years.  Not to mention, what came first the chicken or the egg? No audiobook support so there's little need for audiobook support or  there's little need for audiobook because there's no audiobook support? Most folks just think its non existent.  I'm just irritated because its been years.  

Chyron

Well, I've been using Emby to organize/sync audiobooks and Sirin Audiobook Player to play them. But now I've been hearing that Android 11 doesn't allow apps access to the "Android" folder. So that ruins that idea for the future.

Edited by Chyron
  • Like 1

negativzeroe
17 hours ago, boblmarl said:

I've been patient, I've been waiting for years.  Not to mention, what came first the chicken or the egg? No audiobook support so there's little need for audiobook support or  there's little need for audiobook because there's no audiobook support? Most folks just think its non existent.  I'm just irritated because its been years.  

8 hours ago, Chyron said:

Well, I've been using Emby to oganize/sync audiobooks and Sirin Audiobook Player to play them. But now I've been hearing that Android 11 doesn't allow apps access to the "Android" folder. So that ruins that idea for the future.

If you're like a lot of users, you listen on your commute, which means you have to use the online version to save your progress and you're eating your data. So now the download feature is useless because it just starts over each time. I've been doing what Chyron has been doing which is adding /sdcard/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/Download/Music to my Listen Audiobook library, so that the books show up. I tested A11 a couple weeks ago, or whenever I posted that previously, that no books would show and when I went into FX explorer it said that it didn't have access to /sdcard/Android/data so I looked it up and found that it's a thing. Now I downgraded back to A10 because of that because thankfully my rom (crdroid) is maintaining A10 for now. But once time keeps on we are basically going to have to connect to the server on LAN via smb in order to copy our books over old school.

I mean I get that we are the lone dozens compared to the movie/tv users but I would think the fact that we are promised a certain functionality that fundamentally does not work would take at least some resemblance of a priority. It was kind of a kick to the dick for me because that was the main reason I got premiere then surprise I had to work around downloading to use in an external player. I mean that is something at least, had I not been able to do that I may have submitted a request for a refund. But hey it's a lifetime license so hopefully it will be resolved by 2030.
Fingers Crossed Emoji Decal

Edited by negativzeroe
  • Like 1

Baenwort

It could also be a way for Emby to differentiate from PLEX. Instead of copying their layout and other bad ideas.

boblmarl
23 hours ago, negativzeroe said:

If you're like a lot of users, you listen on your commute, which means you have to use the online version to save your progress and you're eating your data. So now the download feature is useless because it just starts over each time. I've been doing what Chyron has been doing which is adding /sdcard/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/Download/Music to my Listen Audiobook library, so that the books show up. I tested A11 a couple weeks ago, or whenever I posted that previously, that no books would show and when I went into FX explorer it said that it didn't have access to /sdcard/Android/data so I looked it up and found that it's a thing. Now I downgraded back to A10 because of that because thankfully my rom (crdroid) is maintaining A10 for now. But once time keeps on we are basically going to have to connect to the server on LAN via smb in order to copy our books over old school.

I mean I get that we are the lone dozens compared to the movie/tv users but I would think the fact that we are promised a certain functionality that fundamentally does not work would take at least some resemblance of a priority. It was kind of a kick to the dick for me because that was the main reason I got premiere then surprise I had to work around downloading to use in an external player. I mean that is something at least, had I not been able to do that I may have submitted a request for a refund. But hey it's a lifetime license so hopefully it will be resolved by 2030.
Fingers Crossed Emoji Decal

Thanks for your comments, I like the work around. I just copy my Audiobooks to my SD card (cuz I have an Android) over my LAN and use Smart AudioBook player.  My relatives (those that I share my library with and why I purchased Emby) are technically challenged. I have to walk them through the installation of the program and that alone took hours (of course, they are over 70 years old). So, this shite is like rocket surgery.  Not to mention I live in another state and its the middle of a quarantine. Jeez, I had to make a "How to" video and then come to find out Emby Audiobook functionality sucks. Now they think Emby is a terrible program (and that's why you fix your shite).  Emby with functioning audiobook support would have opened a new world for them. Like most 70 year old's,  they don't trust Amazon\Audible (cuz Alexa\Echo of which they do not own) so I cant focus them there.  I am going to attempt to configure Booksonic then try to get a refund .  All I want to do is loan my books out to my family during a quarantine while they're stuck at home.  Why is this so hard? I love how digital media has simplified my life. 😉 

Edited by boblmarl
  • Like 1

CloudWing93
29 minutes ago, boblmarl said:

Honestly I think this is the way to go. I want to use emby as the backend but I would much rather have an app dedicated specifically to audiobooks. I feel like it's great and all having one app for all different kinds of media but there are inevitably tradeoffs that have to be made that make the experience less than ideal. Now if only one of these apps worked using emby as the backend instead of plex.

Edited by CloudWing93