Audiobook support

horstepipe

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

Ah, gotcha. So it allows a download, but it doesn't actually download. Did I understand that right?

Looks like that's the reason to use Plex to download. 😁

I wouldn''t say download but stream.

MBSki
35 minutes ago, cayars said:

I wouldn''t say download but stream.

Ok, then obviously it shouldn't be labeled as download.

MBSki
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Download often means "sync" in Emby as well.

But it doesn't "sync" anything either. It isn't clear. 

Yes, I think the team has acknowledged that more work is needed in this regard.

I just tried download a podcast I setup in Emby with the web browser just to see what it would do and it gave me a format/link that was useable in itself. Just playing/trying to see if it would even download (it did).

nmkaufman
4 hours ago, Jbbrack03 said:

Mainly because in most cases I won't be listening to them more than once.

I collect to circumvent the paywall on older episodes, not to revisit the same episodes.

Hosting podcasts costs money, as well. You never know when a podcast will vanish from the internet.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • Like 1

MBSki
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes, I think the team has acknowledged that more work is needed in this regard.

And yet I'm still waiting for the words "Delete" to be changed for downloads. Yea, I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

I just tried download a podcast I setup in Emby with the web browser just to see what it would do and it gave me a format/link that was useable in itself. Just playing/trying to see if it would even download (it did).

Download what? A link? What's the point of that? Did it play when you completely disconnected and went into airplane mode? If not, it isn't a download or a sync. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nmkaufman said:

I collect to circumvent the paywall on older episodes, not to revisit the same episodes.

Hosting podcasts costs money, as well. You never know when a podcast will vanish from the internet.

Especially if people circumvent the ability for those hosting them to recoup their costs...

Chyron
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

Especially if people circumvent the ability for those hosting them to recoup their costs...

You're suggesting that downloading free web-hosted content so that one can re-access it again later for free (rather than paying to access it later at the host) is theft?

I don't see where you get that.

Technically, any media obtained from an online storefront is assumed by those hosting it to also use the company's media player app to access the files. That way the company can track your media consumption habits and sell the data for use as ad revenue. Downloading the media and playing it offline or on Emby (which doesn't use the data for resale) circumvents that as well. So you could use the same argument for that.

Edited by Chyron

I never said anything about theft.

All I said was that, if you avoid paying the people providing you with the content, then it is a higher likelihood that those services will go away because, as you pointed out, they cost money to run.

Just thought those two sentences stacked together were a bit ironic :).

nmkaufman
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Just thought those two sentences stacked together were a bit ironic :).

Good call. In my mind those were disparate sentiments, but I can appreciate the contradiction.

I figure the paywalls are put in place because the old episodes don't generate ad revenue.

If anything, I'm download current episodes I otherwise wouldn't. Just in the off-change I'll want to listen, one day.

And there are reasons podcasts disappear, other than money. Deaths, disagreements, problems with licensing.

markle88

I'd like to throw my vote in for:

• store album position (not just track position) and when starting the album, go to that track/position instead of track 1

When resuming an audiobook this would be extremely helpful. Has there been any progress on these requests?

• Like 2

I have been forcing myself to use Emby for audiobooks, after adjusting the min/max resume time, it's usable enough, but these are the quirks for my use.

1- Downloaded content vs streaming positions are independent. So if I want my progress synced, I cant use downloaded content.

2- I listen in my car, and if I just shut off my car, the session isn't saved. I have to stop the book through the app, then open the dashboard and wait for the server to respond before I can turn the car off.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, 
I have finally integrated my audio books into emby.
So far, one behavior in particular is bothering me. When a new audiobook is added, a single track from that audiobook appears under "Recommendations / Recent Music". My problems with this are:
1. I find the wording "music" inappropriate. 
2. Why do single tracks appear and not the entire album? Is there a way to change this? Couldn't find any settings or help for this.

nmkaufman
23 hours ago, celair said:

2. Why do single tracks appear and not the entire album? Is there a way to change this? Couldn't find any settings or help for this.

I get the sense that audiobook support, as it exists today, is cobbled together from existing Music & TV code.

Audiobooks are treated as television shows, so it displays the most recent 'chapter/episode' (one per 'book/show') in your recommended/recently added list.

I believe better support is planned, but for now it's probably best to think of it as a placeholder feature to import your collection for the future.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, celair said:

Hello, 
So far, one behavior in particular is bothering me. When a new audiobook is added, a single track from that audiobook appears under "Recommendations / Recent Music". My problems with this are:

Hi, they will be grouped for the next release of the server. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4

nmkaufman
On 1/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, Luke said:

Hi, they will be grouped for the next release of the server. Thanks for the feedback.

Still waiting for the re-scan to finish after upgrading to beta, but looking good so far!

• Like 1

negativzeroe
On 1/30/2021 at 9:08 PM, nmkaufman said:

Still waiting for the re-scan to finish after upgrading to beta, but looking good so far!

Question, is there an ability to adjust playback speed?

14 hours ago, negativzeroe said:

Question, is there an ability to adjust playback speed?

Not yet for audio playback but it's possible to add in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Chyron
On 1/23/2021 at 6:28 PM, Luke said:
On 1/23/2021 at 6:28 PM, Luke said:

Hello, 

Wait, what??

Are there other audiobook-related features coming or just this one?

Edited by Chyron
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, Chyron said:

Wait, what??

Are there other audiobook-related features coming or just this one?

You'll be able to see the track number in most screens now.

negativzeroe
On 11/19/2020 at 12:05 PM, avgsmoe said:

I have been forcing myself to use Emby for audiobooks, after adjusting the min/max resume time, it's usable enough, but these are the quirks for my use.

1- Downloaded content vs streaming positions are independent. So if I want my progress synced, I cant use downloaded content.

2- I listen in my car, and if I just shut off my car, the session isn't saved. I have to stop the book through the app, then open the dashboard and wait for the server to respond before I can turn the car off.

+1 this. Hopefully it is addressed in next release there were some teases about audiobook improvements.

Edited by negativzeroe

daedalus
13 hours ago, negativzeroe said:

Is this beta?

yes but there is literally nothing new on this topic, just the track number in the detail screen of your playlist only

all we ever wished for 😒

• Like 1