Audiobook support

horstepipe

Other than resume, since we already have topics about that, would anyone here mind creating separate feature request topics for individual items related to audio books?

There are times we need to push out larger, more involved projects out due to higher priority development, but in every release we also try to identify easier requests that can be fulfilled more quickly and easily. I would like to get a sense of what other audio book development you guys would like to see.

Chyron
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

There are times we need to push out larger, more involved projects out due to higher priority development

But it doesn't work at all without Resume.

Technically, there already is a resume feature. It just doesn't queue the whole album. There also is a feature to play a specific track while queuing the whole album, but it starts at the beginning of the track. With all due respect, @Luke, I do not understand why it's more involved to combine those two already-existing features.

And until it is, other features are useless.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chyron said:

But it doesn't work at all without Resume.

Technically, there already is a resume feature. It just doesn't queue the whole album. There also is a feature to play a specific track while queuing the whole album, but it starts at the beginning of the track. With all due respect, @Luke, I do not understand why it's more involved to combine those two already-existing features.

And until it is, other features are useless.

Sure, it's the most important thing, of course. However, other feature requests are still welcome as well.

Chyron

Please work on this. I legit never use the competition for anything else except this, and then only a third-party app that accesses it.

They don't even have inline collections for audio.

...You legit got me excited for this now, with considering additional features. But I am having a hard time starting a discussion about what color team jersey I want when the goal is broken.

boblmarl

BookSonic is almost there. They have a companion Android client app but no app for IOS.  The only issue with the latest release is that once you've moved on from Book1  to Book2 it clears your Book1s progress. You can get around this by adding a bookmark before you leave book1. Not ideal but will hopefully be addressed in a future release.  I hear that play:sub is an IOS client alternative that can be downloaded from the app store and used in conjunction with Booksonic server. The Booksonic server is free, streams and syncs.  Just point it to the same folder that holds your Emby library of audiobooks.

Edited by boblmarl

Jbbrack03
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Other than resume, since we already have topics about that, would anyone here mind creating separate feature request topics for individual items related to audio books?

There are times we need to push out larger, more involved projects out due to higher priority development, but in every release we also try to identify easier requests that can be fulfilled more quickly and easily. I would like to get a sense of what other audio book development you guys would like to see.

I've started some new threads for a few of the layout issues that could be improved. I know that some of you have expressed other fine-tune features. So be sure to setup a single new thread for each enhancement that you'd like to see added. The devs have asked that we create a new thread for each individual feature request so that they can track them individually.

• Like 1

Chyron
1 hour ago, boblmarl said:

BookSonic is almost there

Color me skeptical.

I looked over my previous impressions of Booksonic. The last time I used it (which admittedly was two and a half years ago,) my issues were that it 1) doesn’t honor embedded metadata tags; 2) gets confused by library subfolders that don’t strictly conform to .\author_name\album_name\ 3) is difficult to change specific album art, after Booksonic has already imported it; 4) is impossible to change author art; 5) has no available apps on set top streaming players; 6) has an ugly UI; 7) and hasn’t been updated in a very long time.

So if I still can't change album artwork on the fly, or author artwork at all; it doesn't allow for me to separate Jim Dale's Harry Potter from Stephen Fry's Harry Potter; and if it uses only folder/file names and not embedded metadata... then thanks, but I'll pass.

In any event, I tried the Booksonic Air Server on Windows, but there isn't a (stable version of the) installer utility. The primary installation method is via Docker.

Edited by Chyron

Jbbrack03
8 minutes ago, Chyron said:

Color me skeptical.

I looked over my previous impressions of Booksonic. The last time I used it (which admittedly was two and a half years ago,) my issues were that it 1) doesn’t honor embedded metadata tags; 2) gets confused by library subfolders that don’t strictly conform to .\author_name\album_name\ 3) is difficult to change specific album art, after Booksonic has already imported it; 4) is impossible to change author art; 5) has no available apps on set top streaming players; 6) has an ugly UI; 7) and hasn’t been updated in a very long time.

So if I still can't change album artwork on the fly, or author artwork at all; it doesn't allow for me to separate Jim Dale's Harry Potter from Stephen Fry's Harry Potter; and if it uses only folder/file names and not embedded metadata... then thanks, but I'll pass.

In any event, I tried the Booksonic Air Server on Windows, but there isn't a (stable version of the) installer utility. The primary installation method is via Docker.

This was my experience with it as well. The server was buggy and had trouble updating content properly. The Apps for it are very barebones and weren't fun to use. With all of that said, if it's dramatically improved, then I'm open to checking again. But last year when I tested it, it was a mess.

negativzeroe
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Sure, it's the most important thing, of course. However, other feature requests are still welcome as well.

By resume do you mean sync with download? Or just online? Should I start another thread for the download thing specifically? To be honest I think this is by far the most important thing from audiobooks perspective. Playback speed would be second to that, and most of the other times are mostly aesthetic in my opinion.

Edited by negativzeroe

boblmarl

Surely Emby looks better, but what use is it for audiobooks? If I download an audiobook, it doesn't remember where I left off. So, If its the same day I then have to start over again and pick points in the progress bar until I'm close. Sometimes that's done while driving! If its been over a week its not worth my time. At least Booksonic will remember my progress until I switch to another book. I can close it down and get back to it (the same book that is) later. The GUI is not even close to Emby, but again what use is it? Its eye candy that tastes like Sh.....   I've been waiting for solid audiobook support in Emby for years.  Booksonic has speed control and yeah installation is clunky but resume is the most important thing for me as well.  Before you switch books simply create a book mark. I just add the cover image in the tag and all is well for me.  I just share with my family, they can always  google the book and see if its something they want to listen to. It really sucks that I'm still posting about this three years later.  

Edited by boblmarl

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

Is there a resource to see which tags Emby uses for audio books for what field?

Looks like lots has changed in the last months so an overview would be good.

2 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Is there a resource to see which tags Emby uses for audio books for what field?

Looks like lots has changed in the last months so an overview would be good.

It's the same for music, so our music guide can help with this: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Chyron said:

I'm getting really tired of asking for this.

Is there any multi-track album-level resume feature yet?

It's on our to do list. Thanks for the feedback.

Android TV has a kind of partial implementation if your audio book chapters are in separate files then, from the book/album page there should be a resume button at the top that will start at the first un-played chapter and also resume it if it has a resume point.

negativzeroe
On 10/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, Luke said:

Audio book level resume is coming in Emby Server 4.7:

Untitled.png

*crosses fingers in hopes of this working with downloaded content*