Direct play .wtv files on the Android Client

x-cell

Hi,

Great work on the android client, I have it installed on my nexus 7 2013 setup to use MX player as an external player. This works flawlessly with mkv files.

However I would love to be able to play wtv (Windows Media Center) recordings from the recorded tv folder.

MX Player plays this files fine when stored locally. For Ref these wtv files are UK Freeview SD and HD recordings in the following formats

SD = mpeg2

HD = H.264 lev 4 with AAC-in-LATM audio

When I ask media browser to play them and choose MX Player I get a file cannot be played type error, I also get the same sort of error in VLC.

Interestingly when I hack around with the URL that media browser generates and change ../steam.wtv to ../steam.mkv, MX Player and VLC actually start playing the file. Although no audio sadly.

This could be a MX Player or VLC bug but it seems odd that wtv can be played locally and nearly work when I change the extension in the url. Anyone get any tips on how to get this to work? I don't really want to go done the transcoding route when I know the nexus can play them in the original format.

the current server doesn't support what the app is trying to do. try with the next server release.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a powerful WTV Converter to convert WTV to various video formats including AVI, MP4, WMV, MPEG, MOV, MKV, FLV, F4V, 3GP, 3GPP, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, ASF, H.264, RM, WebM, VP8, MOD, TOD, MTS, TS, 720p, 1080p, HD videos and more. This powerful WTV Converter presets optimized videos for a variety of portable devices including Android phones, iPad, iPad 2, iPod, iPhone, iPhone4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, Apple TV, Apple TV 2, PS3, PSP, Xbox 360, Zune, Wii, Smart Phones, BlackBerry, Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, Pocket PC, PDA, etc.

• 6 months later...
winiehappy

In order to play WTV on android, we had better convert WTV to a more compatible video format like MP4, AVI,

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert WTV to MP4, AVI, DV, MPG, WMV, MOV and etc.

It also applies to convert video to WTV.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert WTV to MP4 with iDealshare VideoGo, you will find a detailed guide.

Edited by winiehappy