Playback on Apple TV with Emby App : smooth or not?

jscoys

jscoys

Hi all! Little question for people who are using Emby app on a daily basis on Apple TV system : Would you consider that video playback on Apple TV is smooth/fluid? What about video playback in Emby App? Does it play something fluid or does it stutter? Is it near 60 fps or is it mostly played at 30 fps? Thx for your experience feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JMGNYC

Apple TV plays at 60 so it plays 30fps perfectly. It seems to have excellent 3:2 pulldown and while not as perfectly smooth as if it was playing back at 24fps the pulldown is seldom if ever noticeable and I'm pretty sensitive to it. I've even had good experiences plays 25fps PAL sources on it.

jscoys

Just to complete : on your TV did you have to use a particular scene? Like Gaming or Cinema?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those settings typically just change the display settings like brightness and contrast.

Michael K.

I use Emby Apple TV app on a daily basis. Playback for me has been of the highest quality - very smooth! 

Playback using Emby has been of higher quality when compared to playing the same videos from iTunes to Apple TV, with everything else being equal (using the same computer and files for trans-coding at the highest quality settings).

• Like 1

jscoys

Hey thanks for advices! Bought an Apple TV and quality is really awesome! My mother in law is really happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMGNYC

I'll stick up for HTPC even though I mostly use my AppleTV these days.

Still need an HTPC if...

- TrueHD and DTS-MA is important, sadly ease of use of a streaming box is trumping this for lots of folks.

- pull-down really bothers you, I rarely see it on Apple TV (other devices it's more noticeable) but most of us have been long trained by broadcast to ignore it.

- upscaling - madVR in ET cannot be beat for SD video upscaling. The difference is so noticeable to me I don't watch much SD on Apple TV  

• Like 1