Date added sorting

Pirlo1966

Pirlo1966

Hi

server 3.0.5984.0

For the past 6 months or so I notice date added sorting in Emby doesn't reflect any longer the real order of added media. Some movies added months ago stay at tghe beginning of the date added sort list. Sometimes a newly added movie is listed in first place, but others get listed in 10, 12th or 20th etc ... position. Any idea what might be causing this?

What is Emby library looking for? Date added tag media folder, date added tag media file or date added in mymovie.xml?

Happy2Play

The date added listed in the metadata nfo/xml, also what is your "Date added behavior for new content:" set to? Library-Advanced

You should be able to look in the Metadata Manager and determine the issue.  Others have seen future dates in date added and the item being listed first.

Pirlo1966

Thanks for replying. Date added seems right in xml and nfo's. in XML date formatting is dd-mm-yyyy. In NFO it is yyyy-dd-mm

In library advanced it was set to 'use scan date'. Also changed it to 'Use file creation date' but that has no influence cause all my media have metadata with date added date filled in.

I've checked metadata manager and this is what I see when sorted by date added:

post-562-0-47644700-1467706896_thumb.jpg

I think I finally understand what is happening. It is sorting by the day number instead of dd/mm/yy as is formatted in xml (this means sorting by months fololowed by days). It used to work correctly until a few months ago. Can this please be fixed? It's quite annoying. Can't believe I'm the only one noticing this ...

movie.xml example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Title>
  <LocalTitle>The Revenant</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>The Revenant</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Revenant, The</SortTitle>
  <Set>
  </Set>
  <Added>10-4-2016 12:16:02</Added> = dd-mm-yyyy
Edited by ehgeahrev

Pirlo1966

Very strange things happen in Emby metadata manager regarding the date added field:

xml of Brooklyn movie:

<Title>
  <LocalTitle>Brooklyn</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>Brooklyn</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Brooklyn</SortTitle>
  <Set>
  </Set>
  <Added>12-6-2016 20:55:04</Added> = dd-mm-yyyy

xml of Gods of Egypt movie:

<Title>
  <LocalTitle>Gods of Egypt</LocalTitle>
  <OriginalTitle>Gods of Egypt</OriginalTitle>
  <SortTitle>Gods of Egypt</SortTitle>
  <Set>
  </Set>
  <Added>20-6-2016 00:18:27</Added> = dd-mm-yyyy

Based upon these date added they get sorted as follows by Emby:

post-562-0-28004000-1467713380_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

Is this only an issue on the Reports page?

Happy2Play

Date setting is regional system setting, as mine is mm-dd-yyyy.  And toggling Date added column sorts properly.  Have no idea what the initial sort is for Reports.

577bd4ac84967_added.jpg

Pirlo1966

Is this only an issue on the Reports page?

No. It's an issue also in all clients since last added does not sort correct which makes finding the latest additions rather painful.

Edited by ehgeahrev

Pirlo1966

Date setting is regional system setting, as mine is mm-dd-yyyy.  And toggling Date added column sorts properly.  Have no idea what the initial sort is for Reports.

Date formatting is not really the issue I think. The problem seems to be Emby changing the interpretation of the date formatting. Look in previous post 

Two movies. Both date added in xml formatted as dd-mm-yyyy.

But in Emby one movie gets sorted as dd-mm-yyyy and the other one as mm-dd-yyyy ????

And this strange sorting happens to quite some media which makes finding latest media additions very difficult.

Edited by ehgeahrev

Happy2Play

But it comes back to why is it only affecting you?

But in Emby one movie gets sorted as dd-mm-yyyy and the other one as mm-dd-yyyy ????

Is Emby the only program writing your metadata?

Edited by Happy2Play

Pirlo1966

But it comes back to why is it only affecting you?

Is Emby the only program writing your metadata?

No. xml's are populated by metabrowser. But does it matter? Date formatting is for all media the same in the same string.

Pirlo1966

And emby sorts by year, day and finally by month. That should be year, month and finally day, right?

Try allowing emby to create the metadata and see if the issue persists.

Pirlo1966

Try allowing emby to create the metadata and see if the issue persists.

I really would like to keep on using metabrowser for metadata. It's so much more powerful. For instance it allows me to catch metadata in my native language from a local source.

I think the issue is just that emby is misreading date added string in movie.xml It mixes up month and day except when day is > 12. Can't this be fixed?

Could be wrong but probably because emby formats date as mm-dd-yyyy regardless of my localisation?

Edited by ehgeahrev

make sure the date format in the xml is either standardized iso/utc or a format that matches your system's date format. for xml that's how the dates get parsed. i don't really think there's anything that needs to be fixed here.

Pirlo1966

make sure the date format in the xml is either standardized iso/utc or a format that matches your system's date format. for xml that's how the dates get parsed. i don't really think there's anything that needs to be fixed here.

Okay. So what am I missing? My system tells me today is 5-7-2016 and xml says movie was added 5-7-2016 but emby sorts as 7-5-2016.

post-562-0-55592000-1467744536_thumb.jpg

Pirlo1966

Cause I opened the movies in metadata manager and compared the date added field in emby to the date added in local media xml and in quite some cases dd/mm were inversed. Exceptions seemed to be dates were the day field > than 12.

Try having metabrowser write just nfo, without xml, and see if the issue persists there.

Pirlo1966

Okay. Will try it and will let you know if it makes any difference.

Pirlo1966

Unfortunately. Created with metabrowser a nfo with date added string 

<dateadded>2016-07-05 11:57:27</dateadded> (yyyy-mm-dd)

But it gets sorted in emby as 05-07-2016 (mm-dd-yyyy)

Edited by ehgeahrev

Pirlo1966

For nfo the accepted date format is yyyy-MM-dd

Yes, that is exactly how date added is formatted in my nfo;

<dateadded>2016-07-05 11:57:27</dateadded> (yyyy-mm-dd =  2016-july-05)

But Emby sorts it as May-07-2016

Happy2Play

Still would appear to be something environmental on your system.

nfo

577cbcc71c5ba_sort3.jpg

Reports sorted by dated added

577cbcd9b68b3_sort.jpg

Metadata Manager

577cbcf660538_sort2.jpg

Could not reproduce an issue changing date format to dd-MM-yyyy, test on Dev Version 3.1.6031.430.

577cbfc3b74f4_sort4.jpg

Gave same sort order as Reports shown above.

Pirlo1966

Still would appear to be something environmental on your system.

nfo

577cbcc71c5ba_sort3.jpg

Reports sorted by dated added

577cbcd9b68b3_sort.jpg

Metadata Manager

577cbcf660538_sort2.jpg

Could not reproduce an issue changing date format to dd-MM-yyyy, test on Dev Version 3.1.6031.430.

577cbfc3b74f4_sort4.jpg

Gave same sort order as Reports shown above.

When dd is bigger than 12 emby seems to sort correctly. I guess because something somehow has the logic that there are no months > 12, and therefore it should be dd value and not mm. 

Am lost. As a test I removed a movie folder, scanned library again, made sure the movie was no longer in "latest added", changed in nfo the date added from 2016-07-05 (July-5-2016 which emby sorts as May-07-2016) to 2016-06-29 (june-29-2016), scanned library and guess what: emby now sorts it as July-06-2016 (today's date) regardless of date added in nfo or xml.

Edited by ehgeahrev