Getting install to work with Proxy server?

Blue407

Blue407

I currently use MB2 at home on a couple of PC's.

I want to test MB3 first before replacing what I have, I therefore decided to use Hyper-V at work and try it out first.

Only problem is that we have a proxy server that requires authentication. I've managed to download the 2 bits of software that MB3 needs and install them both manually, however it still fails when I run the setup program.

Is there any way I can have a stand-alone installer for Client and server? or is there a work-around for proxy locations?

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDAC52.tmp\install.log' for more information.
Edited by Blue407

Redshirt

There is no stand-alone installer for the MB3 components. 

That being said, you can still safely try MB3 at home.If you uninstall MB2, which you have to do in order to try MB-Classic, all your settings and cache files will remain. MB-Classic installs into a different directory so would not overwrite any MB2 settings. MB server by default doesn't overwrite your metadata. You have to manually enable saving metadata locally in the server config. There's still the expense of time, but I believe it's worth it.

Blue407

There is no stand-alone installer for the MB3 components. 

That being said, you can still safely try MB3 at home.If you uninstall MB2, which you have to do in order to try MB-Classic, all your settings and cache files will remain. MB-Classic installs into a different directory so would not overwrite any MB2 settings. MB server by default doesn't overwrite your metadata. You have to manually enable saving metadata locally in the server config. There's still the expense of time, but I believe it's worth it.

I have an existing Win 2008 R2 Server with all my media on, currently each PC has WMC and MB2 installed to access this media.

WMC is used for TV and PVR already (Sat card in each PC)

Is there many advantages to going with the new MB3 server/client route for me?

Is there any benefit in the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)?

Redshirt

Well as far as the WAF is concerned. The biggest benefits may be the multi-profile support. Each user having independent watch histories and possibly unique libraries. None of her shows mixed in with yours unless you want that. If there's kids in the house you can limit the highest rating that the kids can see in their profile. The best part is that it's all configured from one central location. Where as a multi-headed MB2 install requires configuration changes be made on each client. My biggest draw to MB3 was mobile device support. Either using mobile clients to view media or control the HTPC.

If you don't go multi-user, and just use MB3 for the centralized management then you can say MB-Classic looks and feels just like MB2. Also the MB2 store and plugin catalog are gone. Several MB2 plugins are still available for MB-Classic, but there is absolutely no support for MB2 at this point.

Edited by Redshirt
  • Like 1