[Feature Request] Screensaver: Navigation and More Random Pics...

Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

Not sure if this is something anyone else wants or needs or if its an issue specific to me, however it would appear that once the screensaver for 'Emby for Samsung' kicks in to display photos from our photo library, its almost as though it selects a few dozen photos at random and then only displays those photos over and over again. I've been watching the screensaver with the family this morning and we've seen the same set of photos now for the third time!?

Is it possible to increase how many photos the screensaver picks up and runs with or increase the randomness at all !? !? Not how else to put it sorry.

Another thing I'd like to ask for as well - and I'm not sure if this is doable or not - but is it possible to add navigation to the screensaver? That is, is it possible to move forward a photo or backwards a photo. Sometimes it happens that a family member calls another family member to look at a photo but then once they get there the photo is gone!  :(  Anyhow, would be neat if that can be done!

Thanks folks,

Dodgy Bob

cmcg

Hi Bob,

When a random slideshow starts, the initial server request can be quite slow, dependant on the size of the data set requested. So for the sake of performence the number of photos is restricted to 500 in screensaver mode or 2500 for a manually started slideshow.

We can try increaing it in the next beta and see if it's acceptable to everyone but the issue is more likely to be noticable to users of lower performing servers so we should be careful about deciding the level just between us.

I would recommend that you open the side menu, scroll down to photos and press play. You'll get both the large data set and navigation that way. The screensaver is not really intended to be full featured. It should really disappear on any button press.

• Like 2

CBers

Hi Bob,

When a random slideshow starts, the initial server request can be quite slow, dependant on the size of the data set requested. So for the sake of performence the number of photos is restricted to 500 in screensaver mode or 2500 for a manually started slideshow.

We can try increaing it in the next beta and see if it's acceptable to everyone but the issue is more likely to be noticable to users of lower performing servers so we should be careful about deciding the level just between us.

I would recommend that you open the side menu, scroll down to photos and press play. You'll get both the large data set and navigation that way. The screensaver is not really intended to be full featured. It should really disappear on any button press.

@@cmcg - would it be possible to have a selectable option in the screensaver settings in increments of 500 or 1000 upto ALL and then let the user adjust to what is best for their Emby environment ??

To have 500 photos display for 5 seconds is only about 42 minutes.

I tend to start manual slideshows from the root of my Photos folder, so I get around 3 hours of photos displayed :D

• Like 1

Dodgy Bob

Ah ha! I see.

Thanks for the info cmcg, I wasn't aware that that is how the screensaver worked.

I'll keep that in mind from now on when I'm wanting the screensaver to do its thing   :D

Although, it would be nice to have some more control over the screensaver features too if that is doable like what CBers suggests   ;)  That would be very handy.

Thanking you sir,

Dodgy Bob

FrostByte

If you want to watch 3+ hours of photos why not just start photo viewer then?  That's what it's designed for

Dodgy Bob

Hi Bob,

...I would recommend that you open the side menu, scroll down to photos and press play. You'll get both the large data set and navigation that way. The screensaver is not really intended to be full featured. It should really disappear on any button press.

cmcg - I just tried this!

Nice   :D

As I said, I wasn't aware that this feature was there and it does work a treat.

I've instructed the family, so hopefully everyone will make use of this from now on.

Although...

If you want to watch 3+ hours of photos why not just start photo viewer then?  That's what it's designed for

Like CBers pointed out - and I get what you're saying FrostByte - it would be nice if we could get access to the large dataset (and possibly the navigation!?) automatically  B) rather than having to kick off the large dataset with navigation manually. Though, I would be happy to just have the large dataset and forgo the navigation . . . but having both would be pretty fantastic!

Normally, in our household we like to have music on and the photos running; I think presently we play music from our phones through the family bluetooth speakers and then as we pass through or hang out in the loungeroom for a bit, we stop and check out the photos. I haven't tried playing music through Emby for Samsung for a while though!? Was there something wrong with playlists and/or playing random songs/lists or something? Or am I thinking back to Emby for Android?

Either way, thats how our family likes to roll!   :lol:

Thanks for all the effort and tweaking you guys put in and putting up with the community's requests!

Great stuff lads,

Dodgy Bob

• Like 1