An HD Channels LiveTV Guide Tab -- is this possible as plugin?

trmb

I use Emby's LiveTV with a CableCard via ServerWMC, and in my guide I have way too many channels (530, most of which I do not watch).

Marking some as favorites to move to the top of the guide listing helps, but what I'd really like to do is have another tab on the LiveTV page that starts the guide listing with my HD channels at channel number 650 (the channel index is 322).

I have been hacking around on the live server code in guide.js and have been able to change the StartIndex to 322 and occasionally see the results I want (when I run Emby in a new private window and thus don't have a caching problem).

I reported on my results in the following thread, but I am now thinking I'd like to see this functionality become real. I envision a new HD guide tab on the LiveTV.html page, and some admin code for the user to turn the HD guide tab on and enter their first HD channel number (or wherever they want their customized listing to begin).

But first, can I even accomplish a new tab on that page via a plugin? Or do I need to focus on contributions to the main? I'm no c-sharp wiz--I just compiled Emby for the first time today. A nudge in the right direction would be helpful.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36070-feature-request-allow-users-to-change-startindex-for-guide-to-first-hd-channel/?hl=guide

Doesn't ServerWMC allow you to disable channels you don't care about so that you can weed out all of those ones you don't watch?

Doesn't ServerWMC allow you to disable channels you don't care about so that you can weed out all of those ones you don't watch?

With 530 channels, and the occasional desire to stream SD from my remote location (a mountain cabin with Roku and near-broadband terrestrial wireless), I am not finding this capability of WMC (ServerWMC only hides encypted DRM channels) sufficient.

I already have 100 or so pay channels disabled in WMC. But I have around 150 SD channels, most of which are replicated as another 150 HD channels. In our household we regularly watch 50 of those and occasionally watch something on another 50. And while I could renumber the HD channels as SD.1 etc., Comcast changes its channel lineup whenever its contracts with content providers change. That's a lot of work to redo every few months.

Both the Comcast and WMC guide interfaces have the ability to select HD listings only. I am just looking to build something similar for Emby to improve the usability of the guide interface for those of us who have CableCards.

I'm sure this isn't a problem for OTA users with 60 or so channels total, but I have to scroll down several screens to see the HD listings which is both slow and a pain when I want to find a game or something to record it.

Can you offer any guidance on whether adding a tab to the LiveTV page is possible via plugin? I know I could create a separate HD Guide Listing page, but a tab seems to be a neater solution.

Edited by trmb

No, you could not add a tab with a plug-in at this time.

The question is - does the Live TV provider know that a channel is HD and report that information to us?

That isn't really a question for you but, rather, @@krustyreturns.

No, you could not add a tab with a plug-in at this time.

The question is - does the Live TV provider know that a channel is HD and report that information to us?

That isn't really a question for you but, rather, @@krustyreturns.

Note that my idea isn't really a filter based on Live TV guide data marking it as HD channel and/or HD content. As the user, I know where the HD channels start.

I am perfectly happy to supply the first HD channel number on an admin page. While making it intelligent would be nice, I think there is a lot of variety in how guide providers mark things as HD.

Thanks. From a day of poking around in plugins, I thought implementing a tab via plugin might not be possible.