NAS Device Advise for streaming to Samsung App

indyjones

indyjones

Hi All,

After being a long time user of emby/MB I am after a bit of advise please. 

I want to buy one of the standalone NAS devices for my parents to stream to their Samsung tv, which is the best of the brands please? Asusto, QNAP or Synlogy? Also do they have enough grunt to steam to a Samsung device, as I am unsure how much transcoding is required for that app.

The only other things the server will be doing is DLNA music streaming and photo sharing.

I personally run an i5 server to a Kodi HTPC so never have any problems with these things.

Thank you.

JeremyFr79

Sorry to add for transcoding any of the newer ones should have enough horsepower for a couple of streams.  I have 2 QNAP's with I3's in them.

• Like 2

indyjones

I would say it's like this Synology < QNAP < Asustor

Thank you, so the best bet looks like an Asustor. Are the AS-304T or AS-204TE devices any good? I have not really dealt with the Intel atom or generic dual core device before. I need to keep the price pretty low too as they will not want to spend a lot. Just seemed a neater solution than putting in a server.

JeremyFr79

Personally I'd stick with something with an Intel chip inside.  But that's my preference.

indyjones

Personally I'd stick with something with an Intel chip inside.  But that's my preference.

They are intel chips, just lower end the i3 series ones are 4 times the price.

JeremyFr79

you said one was a generic dual core, the other an intel atom, that's why I said that.

Good day,

This just my personal view, not meant as anything.

I will go with Synology (since I use one) and things work very fine at the beta testing.

My best

• Like 1