Apple tv 3rd generation

simonw1909

simonw1909

Hi guys a newbi on here.... Brilliant website.

Can anyone else help and tell me if I can install emby on the now tv box?

Any thanks Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now TV or Apple TV 3?  Confused by your title and forum vs. actual content of the post.

If the Apple TV 3 supports DLNA then you could access your Emby server that way.  Otherwise no as that platform does not support these new apps.

If the Now TV box then see here: How to Install Emby on Now TV

simonw1909

Hi Thank you for your reply, I have a apple 3rd generation box

And would like to install Emby on it?

But am not sure how to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These apps are only supported on the 4th gen Apple TV.  They did not have this platform on the 3rd gen so the only way you will be able to access Emby with that will be via DLNA or by AirPlaying from another device.

• 7 months later...
gleep52

Plex has a perl script program that intercepts the apple trailers app on the ATV3 and sends it all info from plex, essentially turning the Trailers app into a Plex app.  The program is called plex-connect.  I don't suppose Emby has something like that do they?

(Sorry to dredge up an old thread - but we still have an ATV3 we use)

• 9 months later...
ProfessorServo

(Sorry to dredge up an old thread - but we still have an ATV3 we use)

Us too. Our ATV3 is the main device we use to access our Plex library, and it's not likely to change anytime soon. So until we can get something similar set up that'd work with Emby, looks like we'll have to stick with Plex.

One correction, though... PlexConnect is Python, not Perl (so it's a little more maintainable  ;) ). It's made possible largely through Plex's API/webservice.

Does Emby have a similar API? If so, it might not be all that difficult to fork PlexConnect and adjust the calls for Emby. The PlexConnect DNS service that actually intercepts the Trailers app is a separate script, I believe, and could simply be used part-and-parcel from the existing implementation.

I dunno. Dreaming.

• 1 month later...
ProfessorServo

What you mean?

He means, you can not JailBreak the ATV3 (3rd generation Apple TV).

The article you linked to even says as much... if you bothered to read it.

Is It Possible To Jailbreak Apple TV 3?

Now, let’s get back to the original question that is there any Apple TV 3 jailbreak available. Well, not to the liking of Apple TV 3 users, it is still not possible to jailbreak the device. It is true that there are many claims made online for the same but you shouldn’t believe them at all. You can come across many scams which claim that jailbreaking Apple TV 3 is possible but they simply can’t and should be avoided at all costs.

There is no jailbreak available for the Apple TV 3. And there's not likely to ever be.

• Like 1