Transcoding over DLNA not working [samsung]

samsung_user

samsung_user

I'm facing the infamous "this filetype is not supported" message when trying to play certain files over DLNA.

Those certain files appear as transcoding containers in .ts format.

As per other similar threads, I tried upping the VideoLevel value in the dlna profile to 51, and also upping max streaming bitrate, but nothing seems to be working.

Particular tv should be able to play all the files present natively.

Tv model is 2015 samsung JU7500.

Attaching logs right after starting the server and trying to play a problematic video. Note that the transcoding seems to be working just fine on server side.

server log (mind the exceptions related to the fact server is not connected to the internet)

transcoding log

screenshot of a sample problematic media data

Application version: 3.0.5972.0

Also, for what it's worth, the emby is being run from a docker container on an unRAID server.

Edited by samsung_user

yea the tv isn't liking the transcoding for whatever reason. i can reproduce. oddly enough, we're testing a new tizen app and the same formats being used in the app don't work with the tv's dlna player. same situation with the web browser as well. it seems like the tizen browser video player is more flexible than the dlna player.

samsung_user

No workarounds at the moment, correct?

Long term plan is to set up a dedicated raspberry pi running kodi feeding the tv. Assuming path substitution works, that method should be doable?

Also, is could someone please point me towards documentation where it's explained how the dlna server decides when to transcode and when not, as I can't grasp as to why it's trying to transcode some of the content in the first place, when it should be natively supported by the telly.

Edit: for future visitors - the pi running kodi does work, but i'd recommend dropping the pi idea. Even the 3rd generation is still too much of a paperweight. Most of the times it runs fine, but it does not have enough resources for smooth playback of HEVC encoded videos. That's the reason I'm still pursuing the DLNA problem, so those few files that pi is unable to play, could be served from DLNA.

Edited by samsung_user

• 1 month later...
samsung_user

FYI, tested this with minidlna served from some random laptop, and .ts and HEVC encoded videos played without any issues. Is there a fix for this on the roadmap, or is it considered a feature of emby?

I'm aware there are some issues with transcoding to samsungs but I'm not sure yet what the issue is. can you find out what the transcoding format is from mini dlna? or it doesn't even do transcoding right?