Transcode Quality Degradation (maxrate)

Rekkies

Rekkies

Greetings,

Emby has been treating me very well for quite a while now, especially with the recent(ish) improvements with DLNA device detection.

Unfortunately, I have now run into a problem where the Transcoding is seriously degrading quality. For my Samsung device, Emby is transcoding from h256 to h264, as it should. However, the quality of the video is taking a knock. 

I looked at the logs, and played around with the FFMPEG parameters, and the clear problem is the -maxrate argument. Taking it out drastically improves the quality! Perusing the EncodingJobFactory, I fathered that Emby will take the bitrate of the video and use that as the -maxrate argument. Isn't that limiting a bit too much now, especially since Emby is doing a very fast transcode?

Might I suggest not such a stringent restraint, or perhaps a means for the user to manually change the parameters passed to FFMPEG?

Have I perhaps missed something else?

I have attached logs files.

Thank you! Regards.

EDIT: I found another topic on this issue (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20790-transcoding-limiting-bitrate-and-reducing-quality/). Seems this was never further addressed.

server.txt

transcode-1bb26ce8-7f88-45b9-acc9-179309db20bd.txt

Edited by Rekkies
  • Like 1

Rekkies

Hi, we've improved this for the next release of the server.

Thank you, Luke. Much appreciated. I shall look at it and return with feedback.