FreeNAS 10 VMs now support graphical consoles

pclausen

pclausen

I have been following (and testing) the development of FreeNAS 10 with interest.

A recent thread started by Jordan caught my interest.  This one:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-10-vms-now-support-graphical-consoles.44317/

So basically, it is now possible to create, say a Windows 10 VM, directly in FreeNAS and install the native Windows version of Emby server on it.

This, combined with the fact that Jails/Plugin support will be, how shall I put it, less of a priority in FreeNAS 10, see below:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jails-plugins-and-containers-vms-in-10.43830/

Begs the question that once FreeNAS 10 comes out, will it make more sense to run Emby server as a Windows VM under FreeNAS, as opposed to a plug-in/jail?

Today a jail has access to all the resources of the host where a VM will be assigned a specific number of CPU cores, etc (although stuff like memory over-subscription will be allowed).

I think what I plan to do is to stand up my FreeNAS 10 sever with one beefy Windows 10 VM, and run the following on it:

Emby Server

SickRage

Transmission

SABnzdb

UniFi Controller (controls my WAN/LAN/Wifi network

The trick will be to balance the number of resources allocated to the Windows VM vs. the FreeNAS storage sub-system to get the best performance.

Today my primary Emby server is a bare metal Windows 10 Pro 64-bit server with a pair of large Raid 6 arrays running NTFS (see sig) with a FreeNAS backup server (not running any jails just data backup).

Edited by pclausen
  • Like 1

PhilWhite

Thanks for the updates.  Looks terrific.

I think that sounds like a good solution and I will probably do the same.

woodsb02

Note that you would still have to pay for a Windows 10 license to run it in a VM on FreeNAS.

pclausen

That is true although I assume an unused windows 7 or 8.1 license can be used as well during installation (or after installation), if you have one of those laying around, just like it can on a physical machine.

Looks like OEM Windows 10 Pro keys are going for $20 on eBay these days.  Not too bad if you don't have one laying around you can use.

Edited by pclausen

kjp4756

One thing to keep in mind with running emby in a VM is how will emby access your media?  I don't think bhyve supports sharing files/paths between guest and host like vmware or virtualbox does.  What you'll need to do is share out your media using SMB or NFS in freenas then access that share from the VM.  The one big caveat with that is emby's automatic library update doesn't work over network files systems (hosted on freebsd.  Linux hosted works to an extent).

sluggo45

You'd probably be better off waiting for full Docker support in FreeNAS 10 and running Emby Server via that. Though I admit at this particular point it can seem like a toss-up. 

• 1 month later...
tgessendorfer

Never touch a running system... I am happy with running on my FreeNAS 9.10 stable as plugin.. works like a charm