Are tags supposed to be inherited?

computerprep

computerprep

I've started using tags to help fine tune my parental control for kid's account, and it doesn't look like tags applied to series/seasons of television are inherited by seasons/episodes.

Is this the correct behavior?

If so, I believe it should change. Adding a tag to a series should propogate to child items of the series. Same goes for collections, although collections are way less important since there aren't nearly as many child files to manually add tags to.

Edited by computerprep

No, tags are not inherited but the custom rating is so I would use that instead.

The only exception is blocking content via tags with parental control. In that situation they are implicitly inherited.

The only exception is blocking content via tags with parental control. In that situation they are implicitly inherited.

Meaning that, you wouldn't see the series so there would be no way to navigate to the underlying items?

If so, wouldn't they still appear in a search?  Or, does it really check up the tree for those?

it's everywhere. if you tag a series and then indicate that a user should be restricted from that tag, then the parental control cascades down to episodes underneath. So I guess technically it's not really the tag that is inherited, more like the parental restriction.

Okay, then we need more specific info from the OP because that's exactly what he's trying to do.

Computerprep - please give a specific example.  Thx.

Good day,

Yes, I am as well interesting in this matters.

Thanks in advanced.

My best

computerprep

If you tag a series and then indicate that a user should be restricted from that tag, then the parental control cascades down to episodes underneath.

Tested this and it did not work. Blocked content with tag "private," marked a series with that tag, did nothing to block. Episodes were still showing up in Next Up queue.

I'd rather not change the rating. Then users that are allowed to access it would see incorrect information. Otherwise I would just change it to XXX, but it's not supposed to be. Just want to disable this one series with no visible change in metadata.

The only way I was able to accomplish this was to add the tag to all episodes. Thankfully that was only like 10 right now, but it was still painful.

computerprep

if you tag a series and then indicate that a user should be restricted from that tag, then the parental control cascades down to episodes underneath.

Just tested again, and it is working. Not that I didn't believe you. Your description is logical and exactly matches how I think it should be.

Could there be some delay in the parental control realizing that episodes should be banned? Of well, confirmed working anyway.

Tested movie collections and that works too.

Hmm. Must be a user error, code: id-10t. Thanks for the quick help .

I'd rather not change the rating. Then users that are allowed to access it would see incorrect information. Otherwise I would just change it to XXX, but it's not supposed to be. Just want to disable this one series with no visible change in metadata.

There is a custom rating field that is only used for parental controls.  The displays will still show the actual rating.

computerprep

There is a custom rating field that is only used for parental controls.  The displays will still show the actual rating.

So to clarify, if I change the "parental rating" on this screenshot, the displayed rating will still show TV-MA?

And what does the "custom rating" affect?

post-1756-0-13447400-1466993302_thumb.png

Parental rating is the display value. You can use custom rating to have a different value applied to parental controls while keeping the original display.

And what does the "custom rating" affect?

:D

computerprep

ebr, posts like your last are thoroughly unhelpful. and thoroughly unnecessary. simple clarification on which field is which as you said "the displays will still show the actual rating" ... there's no metadata field listed as "actual rating," hence the clarification question.

Luke, thanks for the helpful answer. ;-)

ebr, posts like your last are thoroughly unhelpful. and thoroughly unnecessary. simple clarification on which field is which as you said "the displays will still show the actual rating" ... there's no metadata field listed as "actual rating," hence the clarification question.

Luke, thanks for the helpful answer. ;-)

Very sorry.  Poor attempt at levity.  I gloss over things all the time.