Slow to load with Chocolate

pgriffith

pgriffith

Hi Ebr

I'm having problems when running with chocolate. (3.0.305)

It's really slow to load, around 40 secs sitting on the black loading screen with the 6 dots.

I have attached logs off starting with chocolate and with the classic theme. The process was to load Emby, wait until Movies populated the RAL, then switch to TV, Animated, Collections then Folders and exit.

Classic goes in almost instantly.

I do have around a 30 sec delay before the EHS populates the recently added items for movies, other libraries take a little while to load when you switch to them. (30 secs seems overly long)

The delay in switching to a different library is quite delayed in chocolate, but again almost instant with Classic, although the delay in populating the RAL items is still there.

Any thoughts?

Running Server 3.1.34.0 at the moment, but I've tried going back to the release version and I have the same behavior.

Have also removed ALL plugins for testing which made no difference.

Cheers

MBClassic-Chocolate.log

MBClassic-Classic.log

I don't think it has anything to do with the different themes it is just that you tested Chocolate first and then Classic (which benefited from cache hits).

The root of the problem I think is the fact that you appear to have manually edited your config file to load 300 (instead of the default 50) latest items.

pgriffith

I'll change that back to 50 and see what happens, I changed it when I manually added a whole lot of complete series a long time ago.

I don't think it's cache hits as I can go back to chocolate after using classic and the slow response comes back. It's very consistent.

What about the 40+ seconds for Emby to even load when using chocolate, disregarding the population of the RALs?

I'll let you know what happens with the change back to 50 items.

I think it is all related:

RAL child retrieval for Movies option added took 36.37 seconds

Changing to unwatched instead of added may help.

pgriffith

Hi ebr

Changed the default number of items back to 50 and there was no observed change in behavior.

It HAS to be a chocolate issue.

Just to be sure you understand whats going on here. When loading using chocolate, it takes about 43 seconds to even hit the EHS screen, then movies takes another 36.37 seconds to populate the RAL list.

When using the classic theme, it loads to the EHS screen instantly (maybe a second if that), then it takes the 36 seconds to load the RAL. And no delay at all in changing to the next library, it can be 5 or 6 seconds to move to the next library in chocolate, to the point where your not sure if it received the command from the remote so you hit <right> again and then when it catches up it jumps multiple entries. In classic no delay whatsoever, you then wait for the RAL to populate.

pgriffith

Sure do, see attached.

Same process as above, The process was to load Emby, wait until Movies populated the RAL, then switch to TV, Animated, Collections then Folders all while waiting for the RAL to load before switching to next one.

Saw about a 5-6 delay on switching to some of the libraries.

MBClassic-24620162ee464da938d4e5fb9573753d42c2986.log

Can you bring up a detail screen for any item with the web client and then, look up in the address bar for "itemId=xxxxxxx" and replace the ID with the following and hit enter:

c8ca023cdbb96c78e4de5fcb477df512

Then tell me where you end up.  Thx.

pgriffith

Gets me to the Movies Folder Icon

Clicking on Icon takes me to the Image section where I can change the Primary Image, the Thumbnail and the Backdrop.

Okay, now is that the first library on the EHS?

Can you try re-ordering your libraries so that it isn't and see if it makes a difference?

pgriffith

Yes movies was the first library in the EHS.

Changed it to Animated and now Emby loads in about 7 seconds.

After Emby loads, animated takes about 5 more seconds to populate.

I moved movies to be the 2nd library.

It takes about 39 seconds to change from Animated to Movies, then an additional 35 seconds to populate it.

So start up is much faster, but the RAL loading as you can see is atrocious.

The bottom line is your server is responding very slowly to these legacy type queries.  Do you have Legacy Browsing turned on?  If not, do you have the sub-views on or off?

Also, is this something new in this beta?  If you install the stable release, is it different?

Also you've increased your RAL item limit for non-TV items from 20 to 40 it looks like.  Putting that back could help.

Finally, did you try switching to the "Unwatched" RAL option?

I lied - one more thing: You are on the Beta server too and a lot is going on with it right now.  Make sure you are on the latest one of those (from this morning I believe).

pgriffith

OK

Server is running version 3.1.40

Legacy Browsing is turned off, Movie & TV Sub views are turned off.

RAL item limit for non TV items set back to 20

RAL option now set to Unwatched instead of Latest

I've attached the latest log for both Emby WMC and Server

Server library scanned and DB cleaned then server was restarted.

Fired up Emby WMC, takes about 7 seconds to load to Animated fully populated.

Try to switch to movies, takes 43 seconds before it does, but it was fully populated when it did.

Usual 5-6 seconds delay in switching to TV, Folders etc

Once all RALS have been loaded switching between libraries after that is instant.

Shutdown Emby WMC, shutdown server

Server is a Core i5 machine with 16 GB of RAM, apart from media itself, everything is running off SSD.

MBClassic-266201653e1f535f3da4e4e81b654b94f57b104.log

server-63602544169.txt

Can you post your config files for EMC?  Both the common one and the one for the user in question.

I think there is some combination of config options you have that is causing it to load the entire movie library.  The thing is, I can see that it is doing that on a background thread so I can't really explain why that is holding up the UI.

pgriffith

Sure, as far as I can remember the only changes ever made were to the RAL item numbers. But these are old config files, been around since Emby/MB first existed.

Also on another note, my sister has quite on old Emby setup (not quite as old as mine) she has the same sort of problems I do. She has Server and Media Center all on the one box.

My parents have an Emby setup as well, seems to be no issue with theirs. I maintain and look after about 5 bloody setups between relatives and friends  :)

Had to zip the configs, file type wasn't allowed to be attached.

Configurations.zip

In the Chocolate settings, do you have the option to show recent items backdrops on the EHS selected?

pgriffith

Yes I did, I turned it off and tried again, same behavior across the board.

Next ? :)

Also, is this something new in this beta?  If you install the stable release, is it different?

Did you try this?

pgriffith

Haven't reverted to a stable release yet.

You asked if I'd tried Emby Theater and yes I have it installed on my main gaming rig just to have a play with it and keep an eye on it. Used to work fine. .. used to.

In the last few days things have changed a bit, while I used to have to wait in Emby MC to switch to the Movies library, it now goes there straight away and then waits for the RAL to populate, which it does, But now when I go into the actual library all I get is a blank screen with No Items displayed. I'm getting the same behavior from Theater as well, when I select All Movies it just sits on the screen with the spinning loading circle forever. Android app does the same thing. (I've left them both overnight)

I've tried manually refreshing the library from within Emby MC from the EHS and also from the folders category. Doesn't help.

Everything works flawlessly from web interface though.

I had a spare laptop just laying around so I installed the lastest beta server on it (now on 3.1.53) and added the same libraries with all the same locations and everything seems to work fine when talking to that server instance.

Is there an easy way to reset my main server, while keeping my watched status for all my content. I will note that it's an old Mediabrowser install.

ie AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server versus AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server as the new instance is.

I can do a full uninstall/reinstall, something is obviously not quite right with it, albeit only with movies ??

Open to any suggestions.