Upgraded from GTX 970 to GTX 1070, now I get BSOD when playing back most titles

pclausen

pclausen

Did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit, along with the latest driver from nVidia.

Installed the latest version of ET, configured MadVR, and now when play back titles, I get a BSOD (VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR) immediately when playing back most titles.

I switched from MadVT to SVR+, and still have the same issue.

I can play any title using VLC directly all day long with no issues.

Is this a nVidia driver issue, or should I be looking elsewhere for the root cause.

Never had this issue with the GTX 970.

Vlc doesn't use direct show do is not really a good comparison. Did it happen with Windows Media player?

A BSOD is almost always caused by a hardware driver and graphics drivers are probably the most common.  So, make sure you are using the proper and up to date drivers for the card.

A BSOD is almost always caused by a hardware driver and graphics drivers are probably the most common.  So, make sure you are using the proper and up to date drivers for the card.

Maybe try beta drivers?

pclausen

Windows Media player is unable to play back any of my titles (all are untouched BRD ripped to .MKV containers).  A window pops up, but no playback begins.  No BSOD however.

I'm running GeForce experience and according to it, I'm running the latest driver.  Windows 10 is also fully updated.  I went so far as to switch to the Insider Builds (slow ring) and still  having the same issue.

I find it hard to believe that nVidia would release a new video card and driver that is incompatible with direct show.

pclausen

Maybe try beta drivers?

I'm running this driver currently:

Version: 368.39  WHQL

Release Date: 2016.6.7

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Language: English (US)

File Size: 351.05 MB

No beta driver is currently available for the GeForce 10 series platform unfortunately.

So this is obviously not an Emby issue but I appreciate the support.  I'll follow up over on the nVidia forum to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Edited by pclausen

The Baron

Was a mini-dump created?

It would be worth analyzing the dump, it should point towards what caused the issue.

pclausen

The MEMORY.DMP file in the Windows folder?  If so, yes I have that.

Any suggestion on a tool to use to parse it?

pclausen

Got a L2 case opened with nVidia regarding this.

I did do yet another clean install of Windows 10 and after letting it do all its updates and before going to nVidia to download the latest driver there, I tried playing back a title using Windows Media Player.  Playback would start, but be very jerky.  The only thing I did before beginning playing, was to go into Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound, and setup my HDMI audio device (I have the GTX 1070 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR X6200W) for 7.1 and tested that everything worked as it should.  I also confirmed the supported audio formats, which were: DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, TrueHD and Dolby Digital.

Did a reboot and tried again, and started getting this error on anything I tried to playback using Windows Media Player:

sounderror.PNG

Next I went to nVidia's site and grabbed the latest driver (still 368.39).  After installing and a reboot, I was able to play back titles, but they were still jerky and the audio did not sound proper.

I then downloaded Emby Theater, did the basic config (7.1 audio, HDMI bit-streaming, etc, but left all the video settings at their default, including using EVR+).  To my surprise, any title I played back worked fine, including bit-streaming the audio to my AVR, including some Atmos titles.

Next I went back into the ET config and changed video settings to "Change Monitor Refresh Rate to Match Video" (still using EVR+), and boom BSOD freeze with VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR.  So I backed off that setting and confirmed that everything was back to working again.  It was.

Next I switched to MadVR and configured things like I had before, and for a while life was good (about 5 titles I tested), but then I started getting the VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERRORs again, even when going back and playing titles that were working a few minutes before.

nVidia has one of my MEMORY.DMP files, and the output from running MSInfo32, so hopefully they will be able to figure something out.

I was really looking forward to be able to use MadVR with all settings maxed out with ET.  For the few titles that did work at first, the stats were looking really good and the card was nice and quiet, unlike my GTX 970, which would ramp up fan speed and sound like a steam turbine, and that was with less aggressive MadVR settings.

Guess I just need to be patient until this is all worked out.

Edited by pclausen

pclausen

Appears that the crux of the issue is a faulty GTX 1070 card.  Running Unigine's Valley benchmark, I get screen tears all over the place and this is running at bone stock clocks.  I have a pair of 980TIs in SLI in my gaming rig that are overclocked to 1500/8000 (EK water blocks) and they don't tear like that at all on the Valley benchmark.

Got a RMA from nVidia yesterday, so hopefully this will be but a distant memory soon.

• 10 months later...