Difficult to chose the right client

jscoys

jscoys

Do we have videos on what Emby looks like on Apple TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscoys

Little question what features do you have in the Apple TV app? For instance can you chose the bitrates? Can you play trailers? Have you access to all movie list with Quick access by letters?

pclausen

I have a 83 year old mother who lives about 1/2 mile down the street from me.  I have a 1Gpbs dark fiber connection between our houses, so for all intents and purposes, she's on my local LAN.

Over the last 3 years, she has had the following clients:

HTPC

Roku 3

Shield

Apple TV

Roku 3

With the HTPC, I had at least one "service call per week", usually not directly related to Emby Theater, but rather some other Windows 7 issue.

The Roku 3 was much better, but some titles (full BRD rips) would not play, and or would often get the dreaded "reloading", and skipping forward and backwards would make it worse.  But overall, a much better experience for her.  However, the interface is somewhat lacking and the ability to sort the movie collection via certain criteria is very lacking compared to the web interface and ET client.

So we upgraded to the shield, but she hated it, primarily because of the tiny remote.  We tried a couple of different aftermarket remotes, but none provided the simple physical button layout of the Roku.  However, the Shield, like the HTPC client, would play pretty much anything without any trouble.

So the search went on, and I got an Apple TV for her.  She really disliked that remote even more than the Shield one.  The interface was nice overall, but there were some issues with playback of certain titles (more so that the Roku it seemed).

So at the end of the day, we went back to the Roku 3 and she's happy again and can live with the simple layout even though it lacks the ability to sort the movie library (like by imdb movie rating) and it still has issues playing back certain titles (again just certain untouched full bitrate BRD rips).

So I now have a HTPC, Shield and Apple TV connected to my primary TV.  I found that I always come back to the HTPC as my primary client, although I use the Shield for streaming Netflix.  I also have a Roku 3 on the bedroom TV, and my mother in law (63 years old), live in an in-law suite I build at our lower level, is also using a Roku 3 and has the same "loading" issue as the other 2 Roku 3 clients.

So I have 3 Roku 3's, a Shield, an Apple TV, 3 dedicated HTPCs and another workstation where I run the web based client, a Samsung tablet, and a couple of iPads.  So my server gets a pretty good workout, which is why it has the specs it does (see sig).

One day I'm going to put together a list of my movie and TV show titles that are having issues on the Roku 3 and Apple TV devices (but plays flawlessly on all the other clients).  ones that come to mind is the TNT TV Series "The Last Ship" Season 1 and 2 on BRD, and the 2015 movie "Joy".  The Last Ship will play for maybe 45 seconds, then the "Reloading" message pops up, and it never recovers.  This same title on the Apple TV will play, but there is visible time correction artifacts every few seconds.  Shield and HTPC plays this show back flawlessly.

Edited by pclausen
  • Like 1

Little question what features do you have in the Apple TV app? For instance can you chose the bitrates? Can you play trailers? Have you access to all movie list with Quick access by letters?

You can set a max bitrate but it will also auto-detect.

You can play trailers both from the movie detail page and from the Trailers plug-in.

There is no "by letter" type of search but general search works really well including using voice for the search term input.  There is a genre view in movies.

pclausen - I guess I can understand why an 83 yr old had issues with the remote but, for me, the Apple TV remote is the best one by far of all of these devices.  The touch-pad is intuitive and works very well - especially for fast scrolling as you can swipe quickly.  The volume buttons just worked with my receiver without me having to do a thing.  The only gripe I have about it is the refusal of Apple to call the menu button what it really is (back).

pclausen

ebr, I agree that the touch pad on the Apple TV works great and swiping within the Emby client works very well.  Also like the overall layout a lot better than the very dark theme on the Roku client.

Personally I like both the Apple and the Shield remotes.  I bet that if I had started her out on either the Apple or Shield, she would have wanted to stay with it, but alas, those weren't out yet when we started looking for alternatives to the HTPC.

jscoys

ebr, I agree that the touch pad on the Apple TV works great and swiping within the Emby client works very well. Also like the overall layout a lot better than the very dark theme on the Roku client.

Personally I like both the Apple and the Shield remotes. I bet that if I had started her out on either the Apple or Shield, she would have wanted to stay with it, but alas, those weren't out yet when we started looking for alternatives to the HTPC.

What titles not playing on the Apple TV? Is it not expected to play everything, transcoding if needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

Just to confirm : if I remember correctly, Apple devices are supporting natively x264? Most part of my library is encoded in x264. So if I'm right, it won't transco a lot, excepting if the max betrate defined on the Apple device is less than the source? Thx for your confirmation [emoji3]

Edited by jscoys

Just to confirm : if I remember correctly, Apple devices are supporting natively x264? Most part of my library is encoded in x264. So if I'm right, it won't transco a lot, excepting if the max betrate defined on the Apple device is less than the source? Thx for your confirmation [emoji3]

Well, yes but only in an mp4 container.  Really, if you want direct play on Apple devices you need mp4s.  Transcoding for a container swap only isn't a huge load though and the Apple player is very smooth.

• Like 1

jscoys

Well, yes but only in an mp4 container. Really, if you want direct play on Apple devices you need mp4s. Transcoding for a container swap only isn't a huge load though and the Apple player is very smooth.

Thx! Made my choice : Will be Apple TV!

Thank you very much for your advices!

jscoys

You can set a max bitrate but it will also auto-detect.

You can play trailers both from the movie detail page and from the Trailers plug-in.

There is no "by letter" type of search but general search works really well including using voice for the search term input. There is a genre view in movies.

pclausen - I guess I can understand why an 83 yr old had issues with the remote but, for me, the Apple TV remote is the best one by far of all of these devices. The touch-pad is intuitive and works very well - especially for fast scrolling as you can swipe quickly. The volume buttons just worked with my receiver without me having to do a thing. The only gripe I have about it is the refusal of Apple to call the menu button what it really is (back).

Little question about search : my motter in law is a French speaking person only, so do you think Siri Will work flawless with French requests (I précise my titles are all in French...)? Is there a way to search without Siri (like ET with letter selection)?

Siri actually doesn't work with our app as it is limited to specific apps allowed by Apple but I imagine it will have no trouble.

Our in-app search can use either the on-screen keyboard, a bluetooth keyboard or what the device calls "voice dictation" which isn't really Siri but just the listening part that allows you to speak a value into the search field.

577512654ab31_ScreenShot20160630at83357A

• Like 1

jscoys

@@ebr and @@pclausen : Other question on Apple TV : Would you consider that video playback on Apple TV is fluid? What about video playback in Emby App? Does it play something fluid or does it stutter? Is it near 60 fps or is it mostly played at 30 fps? Thx for your experience feedback!

Edited by jscoys

I think the player is quite smooth.  However, I do not use this device on a daily basis so I would ask in the Apple TV forum and get the experience of people who do.

• 6 months later...