Difficult to chose the right client

jscoys

jscoys

Hello guys!

In 3 weeks I will have to make a choice : I want to install a client at 5500+ kilometers far from my server and connect my mother in law to my big movie and serie library...

I think of buying an Intel 5250 nuc style with a 8gigs of ram, a 64gig of ssd, an Intel HD 6000 and use ET which is really awesome in term of interface (background musics and videos, not so bad Internal player...).

But it's expensive: around 400 CAD, taxes inclused.

At the other part I can buy the new 2016 model of the Roku stick, but I remember that the app interface, very simple to use, is a little outdated compared to ET. In that case we have to spend only 100 CAD + taxes, though...

So what do you recommend? Is there someone who has tested the new Roku stick model? Is it great with the Emby app? Is the Roku app going to evolve to have an ET like interface in the future? Thanks for your advices guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a Mother-in-law that far away, I say keep it simple and it doesn't get much simpler than the Roku.

You could go with a Fire TV or Shield as well if that interface fits better with your needs.

• Like 1

jscoys

Don't want to critic other clients, but ET is awesome. But at the other side if we want to keep it really simple Roku is great too... But... If I want to avoid in most cases the transco, ET is the best... My god the choice is not simple...

If she is going to be remote from your server then the direct playback offered by ET becomes less of an advantage - unless you have a very fast connection both ways and possibly a VPN...

dcook

ROKU3 is fantastic, very easy to use, my 68yr mother in law took right to it, pretty much all you need to do is move the arrows back and forth and press ok on what you want to watch.  Also much cheaper, as you said around $100

Allan Cameron

Avoid the stick to avoid WiFi.

You may have nothing but connection headaches with your mother in law using WiFI.

Get a Roku 3, hook it up via Ethernet cable. You will be glad you did and avoid many issues that could arise using WiFi.

jscoys

Little question : do I need to make a server sync for Roku app? If yes, i'm in a bad share because i won't be on my LAN in that situation, and Roku doesn't allow you to use a VPN....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Little question : do I need to make a server sync for Roku app? If yes, i'm in a bad share because i won't be on my LAN in that situation, and Roku doesn't allow you to use a VPN....

No but you will need to know your public ip or have a dynamic dns recorded setup.

• Like 1

The roku also wont do https, yet.. rokus normal sdk, which is still used, doesnt allow it. Scene graph will. Make sure you use port 8096, and not try to use https on 8920. As far as your earlier question, what does the app look like.. see the video below:

This shows what you can expect from the roku3. I gloss over the simple stuff in that video, showing features in the unofficial blueneon app, but for those most part the two apps share the same basic features and are the same feeling, fluidity, look.. etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

jscoys

No but you will need to know your public ip or have a dynamic dns recorded setup.

Already have a dns thx!

jscoys

The roku also wont do https, yet.. rokus normal sdk, which is still used, doesnt allow it. Scene graph will. Make sure you use port 8096, and not try to use https on 8920. As far as your earlier question, what does the app look like.. see the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hFtAr-r69Q

This shows what you can expect from the roku3. I gloss over the simple stuff in that video, showing features in the unofficial blueneon app, but for those most part the two apps share the same basic features and are the same feeling, fluidity, look.. etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ok i think I will give a try without https...

Or use Emby Connect.

jscoys

Ok thx and something between... Apple TV! What do you think about it? What I understand is that there is no background playback available... But the interface looks great and fluid!

The Apple TV is a great device - especially if you are already a user of the Apple ecosystem (have iPhones, use iTunes, etc.) and your media is in an Apple-friendly format (mp4).  If not, it will probably result in a lot of transcoding.

That isn't necessarily a problem if your server can handle it though...  Quality is very good.

jscoys

Hi guys as I said before ET isn't ready for low specs htpc. I ordered a wintel mini-pc cx-8 with z8300 Intel proc and it was really slow... Kangaroo has nearly the same specs so... Navigation were sometime impossible, in all movie view for instance (i've got 6232 movies as I speak...) it was impossible to navigate!

For a mother in law an Apple TV is IMO a great solution. EBR what do you think about usage Apple TV Emby app? Is it fluid? Is it intuitive? Does it crash sometime?

i've tested Emby Theater on a compute stick and it's nice and fluid on that.

For a remote mother-in-law though, a streaming box is still a better option I think.  Just a whole lot more plug-and-play and instant access to other services.

It is pretty hard to crash an Apple TV.  I can't say I've tested it over a remote connection with 6,000 movies all in one view though...

jscoys

i've tested Emby Theater on a compute stick and it's nice and fluid on that.

If you don't trust me, go on the all movie view when you've got at least 4000 movies... Or in genres when you have a big collection...

Ive tested the roku with several hundred thousand mp3, 6,000+ movies, 150,000+ tv episodes, and random other folders with various thousands of things in home video collection type with no metadata. TuneIn, IPTV, and trailer plugins. No real issues since you can also go by letter in most views. Most of the apps for appleTV also exist as roku apps. Apples to pears. Roku calls their second-screen support "pearing" and shows pears. This is a clear joke at apple and maybe icarly. Icarly used pear throughout too. :)

cf79c4460495ba69dd01697d22d8af38.jpg

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

jscoys

@@Luke : Apologies man... We sometimes emphasyse on what is not working properly occulting all the great potential of the product... ET is really great and I love the new interface. I use it every day on my main HTPC, and it works great in almost cases. I know electron is a good choice because it will be portable to other systems easily, as Linux (and maybe in the future iOS or Android). But it came with an abstraction layer and as always a performance drop... Alas ET is in that situation with heavy views (all movies, when you select a genre (ex. Comedy), when you go in "by year" view...). I think Electron is in an early age and more performance improvements are coming in the future. Maybe there are already some tweaks available to speed ET when a lot of items are displayed... We all rely on you Luke ;-)