Missing Genres

Tester

Tester

@ Happy2Play, I followed your instructions and I see the same results.

@ Luke, maybe not useless but my waf is very low at the moment since she learned how to browse for movies using the genres view.  Fortunately we hardly watch any TV in the summer.  Below are screenshots results of search function, same results.  Search Sound City, found Movie, click on Documentary and no movie listed.

578ce7efa50ee_Untitled.png

Edited by Tester

Tester

Luke, see screenshot above.  I clicked the search button and type Sound City, found movie, clicked on Documentary and no movies listed.

Is that the search function you are asking me to use ?

Happy2Play

I believe Luke is referring to the left side of your combine screenshot above.

Tester

The left side is shown in the screenshot about, all I see after a search is the movie I searched.. nothing else, no menu or anything else on left side.

• 2 weeks later...
anderbytes

I can confirm that Emby can't count genres correctly.

I may post screenshots if you don't believe me... but in genres screen, it says genre "Music" (musical movies), has only 1 item.... when I go inside it, it has 5.

For genre "Family", it says only 20, but inside it shows 94.

"Reports" shows the 5 (Music) and 94 (Family) when I filter by that Genre. So why Genres screen counts it wrong?

Edited by anderbytes

Happy2Play

I can confirm that Emby can't count genres correctly.

I may post screenshots if you don't believe me... but in genres screen, it says genre "Music" (musical movies), has only 1 item.... when I go inside it, it has 5.

For genre "Family", it says only 20, but inside it shows 94.

"Reports" shows the 5 (Music) and 94 (Family) when I filter by that Genre. So why Genres screen counts it wrong?

Sounds exactly like what I showed in post 25, since genre doesn't honor toparentid once you enter it just like collection doesn't either.  Do you have multiple libraries of the same type?  Reports merges all library data by type not libraries.

anderbytes

Sounds exactly like what I showed in post 25, since genre doesn't honor toparentid once you enter it just like collection doesn't either.  Do you have multiple libraries of the same type?  Reports merges all library data by type not libraries.

You got it right! I do have a few of same type... and reading you explanation closely on #25 made me take a look removing the parentId (5 results!) , and looking at each library... all them in sum brought me 5 again.

So... what I realize is, one of those should happen:

#1 - Show library context count (few partial for each library, just like today),      and when clicked only shows the list that are related to that library, not ALL of that genre

#2 - Show always the sum of all libraries in genres screen (no matter the library),       and when clicked brings the screen with all of that genre (just like today), with all items of that genre

I believe #1 would be preferable because as I said in http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35429-bug-genres-and-networks-tabs-not-respecting-library-context/&do=findComment&comment=334494 , context matters.

Tester

Ok, not sure I follow your discussion Happy2Play & anderbytes, but what does that mean to my issue ?  Is it something I am doing wrong or is it Emby server related ?

anderbytes

Ok, not sure I follow your discussion Happy2Play & anderbytes, but what does that mean to my issue ?  Is it something I am doing wrong or is it Emby server related ?

Emby works in a non-intuitive way in that part, but it is possible to understand what he does.

The problem is: one page counts genre totals within context (this library), and when clicked, it opens to all-libraries genres list

Tester

All of the sudden everything is back to normal, all of my genres now show up.  My guess is that the latest beta fixed/resolved the issue but cannot confirm.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anything going on relating this issue?

Issue is present here too. it would be nice if emby shows all movies that have genres in their metadata in the genre view/tab of the clients. Seems pretty useless like it is right now for me. Some Genres even are completely ignored somehow. i have movies that are tagged with genres that are not displayed in the genre view (tried the web client at the moment). Also some genres that are displayed missing the genre poster/thumb. some genres have a default poster/thumb from the beginning and some are missing.

Edited by cybe

It already does this. I am not currently aware of any issues of genres being not displayed, so the best thing to do is discuss an example in depth and in detail. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
Tester

It already does this. I am not currently aware of any issues of genres being not displayed, so the best thing to do is discuss an example in depth and in detail. Thanks.

Luke, this issue has returned, I am not able to see all of my genres nor can I access new movies under those missing genres.

Following your lead, what additional info/screenshots would you need to troubleshoot this issue ?  I have already posted as much as I am aware of, but would be happy to add more detail as instructed.

Tester

Luke, please see my initial post first since it is the same issue and is described in detail including screenshots.

Then please let me know what else I can add.. and thanks

That is very old now so I think we will need to start from the beginning. The important thing is to check the genres that are set for each individual movie, those are the genres you will see in the all genres view.

Tester

Yes, that has all been confirmed, all my movies are set correctly and the issue is exactly as described in the initial post... As a matter of fact, it seems that the same genres that were not present in that initial post are now exactly the same that do not appear now.

Having said that, what would you like for me to post ?  Latest logs ?

Tester

Luke.. I was really struggling to understand why I needed to post everything all over again when the issue is exactly as stated in the initial posts.

But now glad you got me to look into it since it seems the problem is not the same.

What I found is that many of my movies, all under a particular missing genre, have had their genre id blasted clear.  I went through all the missing movies and recreated the genre id which caused the movies to reappear.

I then opened the genre cleaner and noticed that the MAP TO setting was incorrect only on the missing genres.  I went ahead and uninstalled genre cleaner and now all is fine.

I would like to reinstall this plugin, but should we try to troubleshoot the root cause first ?  If so, please advise.

Luke.. I was really struggling to understand why I needed to post everything all over again when the issue is exactly as stated in the initial posts.

But now glad you got me to look into it since it seems the problem is not the same.

What I found is that many of my movies, all under a particular missing genre, have had their genre id blasted clear.  I went through all the missing movies and recreated the genre id which caused the movies to reappear.

I then opened the genre cleaner and noticed that the MAP TO setting was incorrect only on the missing genres.  I went ahead and uninstalled genre cleaner and now all is fine.

I would like to reinstall this plugin, but should we try to troubleshoot the root cause first ?  If so, please advise.

And that's why we request new information whenever anything has changed - because even though the symptom may look the same to the user, often times what is actually happening is different :).  Thanks for the investigation.

Can you describe what "the map to setting was incorrect" means?

• Like 1