Subtitle is duplicated (yellow and white)

iBoss
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

For part 1 - what version of the server?

For part 2 - unfortunately, that will just be how it is with burned in subs.  The internal Apple sub menu does not know they are there so the only way to turn them off or switch them will be to stop the video and choose a different one from the menu on the detail page.  In what situation are you needing to switch subtitles off and on or switch languages after playback has started?

For the password problem, I'm afraid I am not familiar with whatever app you are using from your phone. Can you describe exactly what that is?  Does the pw entry work okay if you use the on-screen keyboard?

iBoss

For part 1 - what version of the server?

server ver. 3.1.56.0

Linux Ubuntu 12.04.5

... In what situation are you needing to switch subtitles off and on or switch languages after playback has started?

it is ok .. but it will be a good feature :)

For the password problem, I'm afraid I am not familiar with whatever app you are using from your phone. Can you describe exactly what that is?  Does the pw entry work okay if you use the on-screen keyboard?

I will give you more details later

Can you try a video that has only srt? thanks.

Now I have only .mkv movies wich contain .ass subtitles.

I will download .avi or .mp4 to try .srt only.

Thanks

corey

Thanks guys, most of the issues is solved. the main issue is fixed :)

about these:

using the remote to enter password does not work and I cant change the subtitle,I cant switch it off too.

Hi @@iBoss I was not able to repeat this. Would you mind providing more information about what was happening?

Thanks!

iBoss

Can you try a video that has only srt? thanks.

emby server 3.1.56.0 (the problem also there on stable ver)

Ubuntu server 12.04.5

emby app for Apple TV 4

Now this test with .srt file only

two subtitles are shown (duplicated). both color is white .. one of them within the black box and the other is burned in (not synced with the video) ... this is strange, before when I use .ass subtitle is burned in and synced with video

Please see the attached screenshot

Thanks

post-134723-0-26794000-1468679424_thumb.jpg

server-63604281938.txt

transcode-26f2ba0f-cc3d-430c-a005-ab3a32de6047.txt

transcode-66b2647d-8601-4143-8640-cab96539b4fc.txt

transcode-83acc2b5-634e-4c6b-aa7a-3b7907620590.txt

transcode-92ead364-38b8-47fd-b440-a27fcc1f0354.txt

transcode-468b62b3-bf2c-433b-ae58-7753bf89eb11.txt

transcode-a74dd43e-3b21-4029-b15e-565faaabd455.txt

transcode-e37f3608-907a-4705-a826-09be95b77b5a.txt

transcode-f710251e-82ea-4ecc-a1c6-d4add815c65f.txt

I only looked at the first transcode log, but in that log it's not burning anything in.

iBoss

I only looked at the first transcode log, but in that log it's not burning anything in.

because there are two subtitles shown, I thought one of them is burned in. so both of them are not burned in?

What version does your Apple TV app report (in the user menu)?

You say you cannot switch off the other sub - you mean, even if you start the item with no subtitles, that one still shows up?

iBoss

Hi ebr,

for the password using Remote App, I have use simple password: 123456 but dose not work.

you said you could not see this error, Did you use the keyboard inside the iPhone app or from the TV? you should use the keyboard of the iPhone app to represent the error.

What version does your Apple TV app report (in the user menu)?

You say you cannot switch off the other sub - you mean, even if you start the item with no subtitles, that one still shows up?

Apple TV app 1.0.11

If I start item with no subtitles it will not shows up.

If I start item with subtitles it will shows two subtitles.

thanks

If I start item with subtitles it will shows two subtitles.

I can't reproduce this.  Can anyone else?

iBoss

Hi ebr,

I have two server for the test (stable and beta)

Did you use the beta server (3.1.56.0)? this error is now only on the beta server

Did you use only .srt subtitle?

if yes:

you said you could not reproduce the duplicated subtitle. I think the other is off, because if you start the movie of the first time the other subtitle is off by default; if you switch it on from subtitle menu while watching the movie you will see two subtitles. So this the subtitle which you can switch it on/off is with opaque box (black box).

• subtitle with opaque box --> you can switch it off or on while watching and is synced with the movie
  • subtitle without opaque box --> you can not switch it off or on while watching (only from subtitle menu before play the movie) ... this is not synced with the video. it will start delay when you reach the half of the movie.

I will PM you soon my server with account details. Please login using Apple TV and then go to "The Dark Night Rises" or "Before Sunrise", please don't play from the beginning just resume it.

Many Thanks

iBoss

Ok I will test it and if there still the problem I will PM to you my account details.

Thanks Luke

iBoss

I like you guys. :D

now subtitles is working .ass & .srt without any issues using Apple TV which run either on stable or beta server.

Many Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hi

i still have same problem with duplicate subtitles and with italic text example

can u help me with this pls

thank you

Hi.  Did you use the button to "Select specific subtitle/audio" to play this item?

Can you try doing that and selecting "None" for the subtitles and then see what happens?

Also, during playback, what appears in the "Subtitles" menu in the top pull-down?

catar1n0

hi again,

I have all subtitles in separate files (.srt files)

See my settings and the various test settings in the attached images

added 2 more logs today

post-191723-0-28155200-1503081287_thumb.jpg

post-191723-0-09503600-1503081323_thumb.jpg

post-191723-0-40860500-1503081356_thumb.jpg

post-191723-0-30331700-1503081418_thumb.jpg

Log.txt

Log_2.txt

Edited by catar1n0

Opera_of_Death

I have this exact problem too. And I use the same settings and tried what cata1n0 did.

What I can see is that the srt files are both burnt in to the movie when transcoding and sent as a raw file to Apple TV.

The burnt text have the <i> and </i> italic signatures before and after the text.

And the burnt in text is still there when you choose to have no subtitles in the Apple TV settings or set it to auto. This even tho I have set the subtitles settings for transcoding to only burn subtitles that are image based. Sadly there are no setting to turn of burning of subtitles for all types of subtitle files. Especially when Apple TV can show subtitles directly from the srt file.

I understand the use when you have picture based subtitles as they not always work with different media players.

And one irritating thing when subtitles get burnt they appear almost in the middle of the movie. I want my subtitles as low down on the movie as possible.

And there should be a server setting that all apps use that let you choose the size and placement. So you don't have to fix that in every app. And in some apps you can't choose this at all.

My conclusion is that the subtitle that is shown more in the middle of the picture is the burnt subtitle.

And the one lower in the picture that renders italic correct is the raw srt file that Apple TV reads.

So to fix this you have to update all the different types of servers so they know that if they transcode to Apple TV and the subtitle isn't image based then they should not be burnt into the video file. Or because the Apple TV app hasen't been updated since January it could be updated to tell the servers to not burn subtitles.

I don't know if you are working on an update for the Apple TV app but it would be nice if it was closer to the iOS, theater and webb version of Emby.

I'm using Emby server 3.2.26.0 for Synology NAS. So you know what server I'm using. And the Apple TV app I use is 1.0.19. I don't know about the beta version because I don't know how to access that.

I don't know if anything of what I said can be done or if you already know and are fixing it as I write this. But I hope I could help to clarify the problem at least ;)

Thanks anyway for making a great media service!!!

Edited by Opera_of_Death
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
zeflash

It's exactly as Opera_of_death is describing it: One subtitle is burnt in the stream coming from the server, bold, big, white, the other one is displayed smaller, on a translucent black background.

The burnt one can be selected before starting the streaming, via the "select Audio or Subtitle" button; the dynamic one is selected while playing, in the dropdown menu.

What really sucks is that I have to go & change the settings for the hardcoded one with every movie I play, as it's always trying to display something. Plus, if I forget to do that before starting playback, then stop while one subtitle was showing - then this line will keep on showing for the rest of the movie.

It's quite surprising to see such malfunction in a released product. There are 2 different subtitle handling types, how can that make sense in any way?

It's a big let down. I come from a Plex server setup, and wanted better subtitle handling. In Emby it's better in the sense that searching for them has a graphical UI via the web app - but on the other hand the way it's being displayed is so tedious I'm wondering if it's worth it.

The fixes I'd like to see:

- merge subtitle handlings (no more hardcoded vs dynamic, settable in 2 different places)

- offer a global setting at the server library level to select what language should be shown by default (or none)

Edited by zeflash

catar1n0
hi again

i think i found a temporary "solution" for duplicate subs

i changed "Subtitle Selection" to "Never" in "Playback Settings" with "Default Subtitle Language" in my language and now is working with only one subtitle.

When serie start is got correct srt subtitle. (im portuguese so i have "name_movie.por.srt")

But i guess only work with series.

Anyone can try this?

Edited by catar1n0

• 1 month later...
catar1n0

hi @Luke

it is not possible to get the subtitles settings defined in the apple tv accessibility (size /font/ shadow)?

And about duplicate subtitles on Apple TV 4k any news?

Cumps

Edited by catar1n0

You should be able to control the duplicate subs issue by using the playback method where you specifically select the subs before playback.   We will review the subtitle handling in the app.