Is Emby Server on Nvidia Shield TV ever going to be possible?

ajr30

diagonali

Just adding here to make up the numbers and say I too would love for the Shield TV to run Emby server. It's almost perfect for it. It's still hugely powerful despite how relatively old the hardware is and it would handle most transcoding with ease. It could even use HEVC to reduce filesizes of recordings etc. Understand it's not necessarily going to be "easy" to implement but really hope it comes to fruition at some point.

• 1 month later...
tgessendorfer

Same here...Plex is already fully supported so any updated thoughts on this request? I think it's really valid...

• 1 month later...
CBers

My HP Microserver N54L is so slow to transcode...

Perhaps the question should be, why is my content transcoding?

davy4475

It's a possibility for the future, thanks.

Hi Luke I know your hands are tied with the answer you give but is there anymore info on this on what you keep repeating. Is the future this year, next year or 10 years. Never? I Sorry if this comes across bad. It truly isn't meant to be

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

We cannot give a timeline and maybe some resources or capabilities may come available to us in the near future but, it is not under current development if that helps you gauge it.

Perhaps the question should be, why is my content transcoding?

Because my connection from the outside is not necessarily good everywhere

CBers

Because my connection from the outside is not necessarily good everywhere

So you're watching remotely. OK, fair enough.

• 3 weeks later...
The ONLY thing keeping me from adopting Emby completely is the ability to use my Nvidia Shield TV as a server.  PLEX on the Shield can work for the most part... but EMBY show so much more promise.  My Shield take a LOT less power than my main computer does, and sits quietly and cool in another room while my main rig does heavy lifting.
The whole reason why I got the Nvidia Shield was due to the low power server ability through PLEX. Now that I also have audiobooks - which PLEX really does not support, I would move to EMBY in a heartbeat.

So there is nothing in development for an Emby Server on the Nvidia Shield TV at this time.  

Heartbreaking.

I love the responsiveness of everybody at Emby - generally they really do seem to care about their user base.  PLEX admin guys...  not so much.  Which is kind of odd considering the more commercialized profit drive they have.

clarkss12

The ONLY thing keeping me from adopting Emby completely is the ability to use my Nvidia Shield TV as a server.  PLEX on the Shield can work for the most part... but EMBY show so much more promise.  My Shield take a LOT less power than my main computer does, and sits quietly and cool in another room while my main rig does heavy lifting.
The whole reason why I got the Nvidia Shield was due to the low power server ability through PLEX. Now that I also have audiobooks - which PLEX really does not support, I would move to EMBY in a heartbeat.

So there is nothing in development for an Emby Server on the Nvidia Shield TV at this time.  

Heartbreaking.

I love the responsiveness of everybody at Emby - generally they really do seem to care about their user base.  PLEX admin guys...  not so much.  Which is kind of odd considering the more commercialized profit drive they have.

If your clients do not require transcoding, you can always purchase an inexpensive device and install the Emby server onto it.

davy4475

If your clients do not require transcoding, you can always purchase an inexpensive device and install the Emby server onto it.

Which device?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Audio book files are generally quite a bit smaller than video files of course.  And most shouldn't need transcoding.

The Shield TV is an Android OS device.

The Emby PLAYER is already available on the Shield - which works well if you have the Emby Server working on a different device.

Although ideally, I would like Emby to take care of all my sharing needs from the Nvidia Shield TV, it can't as of yet.  We have been told time after time, "It's a possibility in the future" - but that also tells us there are no actual plans to do so.  Just so, a few responses above, EBR stated that there are no current resources being made available, and this feature is not under development.  A disappointing but solid enough answer.

So that leaves us all with having to work around the issue.  PLEX is an option - kind of.  Their Server is available on the Shield TV.  It handles most things well, but not so much when it comes to audio books.

What inexpensive device do you suggest to buy and then install the Emby Server on to it?  It will need to have the ability to attach an external USB drive so that it can serve more than just a couple audio books. 

clarkss12

Take your pick.  I have several different pieces of hardware running the Emby server.  Most of them are do it yourself types.  Probably the easiest way to do it is run Ubuntu on an Amlogic box and install the server on that one.  One of my older Amlogic S905 has gigbit Ethernet, but the newer Amlogic S905X only have FAST Ethernet. 

So, since the Amlogic boxes with the S905 SoC is not readily available, the Amlogic S905X is the next best choice for the Emby server.  The $40 US Mini M8S II is what I predominately use for my Server, running Ubuntu 16.04.

post-38990-0-27665200-1503159084_thumb.jpg

Take your pick.  I have several different pieces of hardware running the Emby server.  Most of them are do it yourself types.  Probably the easiest way to do it is run Ubuntu on an Amlogic box and install the server on that one.  One of my older Amlogic S905 has gigbit Ethernet, but the newer Amlogic S905X only have FAST Ethernet. 

So, since the Amlogic boxes with the S905 SoC is not readily available, the Amlogic S905X is the next best choice for the Emby server.  The $40 US Mini M8S II is what I predominately use for my Server, running Ubuntu 16.04.

attachicon.gifEmby server hardware.jpg

Thanks for the response - I am sure there will be people who see this and jump on it - but it seems a bit more cumbersome than what I want to get into.  The lack of USB3 and high speed wireless connectivity in the hardware make things even more of a n issue than learning LINUX would be for me. 

Well -  that's nice, but now I would need to buy yet another new box, set up a keyboard/trackpad/mouse to go with it, buy a good SD card to go in it (for LINUX), install and learn LINUX (or at least the correct command line items) , then configure Emby for LINUX.

Of course, there is no 5Ghz WiFi, and the 2 USB ports look like they are not USB3.   

It IS an option.  But honestly, since PLEX has somewhat of a foothold already - I will just work with the hardware and software that I already own.  There seems to be a lot less headache, and investments in time and money.  Now if I did not already have the hardware to work - and did not already know that PLEX can be kind of forced to do audio books, I might very well take this as an option.  I don't really want another item plugged into my switch and running wire either... but 2.4 wireless...

All in all, Emby has made the effort with plenty of other platforms - and it seems they think that's just plenty at this moment in time.  Who knows - maybe in a few years if they are still around they will think about throwing us a bone and if I hear about it, I might come back if I am not already invested elsewhere.  I'm certainly not going to hold my breath with the smoke they are blowing in regards to "like to in the future" remarks.

I guess I just will have to force PLEX to do what I want and stay put.

• 2 weeks later...
Nisten

I also would be very interested in this because my mini pc is the only thing I can use at the moment and it occasionally runs into memory issues. I initially got the shield tv due to the plex server promo but ended up switching to emby like 2 days later. 

My situation would noticeably improve if one of the server configurations was available on the shield TV

jasonmcroy

We are working on running Emby Server with the new .NET Core runtime, and that's going to help us target new platforms that we couldn't do quite as easily before. 

Funny, I thought about asking over in that thread if having the server running with .NET Core would more easily allow it to run on Android and thus be able to run the server on the Nvidia Shield. Since I noticed such a lowered amount of mb usage running the test server on my HTPC it seemed logical that it could eventually be moved over to the Shield. 

• 3 months later...