Is Emby Server on Nvidia Shield TV ever going to be possible?

ajr30

Hi all! First of all, let me just say, I love Emby. As soon as I switched from Plex, I fell in love. Not just with the Kodi integration, but everything about the server and controls seem better for me. Seriously, awesome work to the devs and everyone involved. I went premium as soon as I could and recently just changed from a monthly to a yearly subscription.

Which is why this next part is so hard... when I read the news about Plex getting a server app for Nvidia Shield TV, I was excited and disappointed. Excited because this could mean I can finally turn off my PC and only wake it for things like games. But I was disappointed that the news said Plex and not Emby.

I really don't want to move back to Plex. I'm definitely going to give it some time to see how the server even works out. And regardless, I've still got 10-11 months on my year at Emby left. So it got me wondering if something like this is in the works, on the radar, or even possible with Emby. I don't know how closely Plex had to work with Nvidia to get this to work and I don't know if there is any kind of exclusivity deal with them. I mean, after all, Plex comes preloaded on the Shield TV. So I just thought I'd start a discussion to see if this is possible or planned, if anyone is interested/cares, or basically any of your feelings on this matter.

Also, I apologize if this isn't the best place to post this. It's meant to be a discussion and not really a request for help or support. Also, I tried searching and didn't find anyone mention anything like this (but my search skills are often under par).

Anyway... discuss?

Yes I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we'll have the server running on android.

• Like 1

Ha, thanks! I knew there had to be a post somewhere. Told you I suck at searching!

Yes I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we'll have the server running on android.

Thank you! This is good news. I look forward to it!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
venom121212

First off, let me just say, Emby is 1000% better than Plex. The individual nfo customization, the interface, and general usability is leaps and bounds better than Plex. I was running Emby server on a Vista laptop and everything was peachy. Then Emby stopped supporting the Vista environment (windows net framework issues, can't blame Emby). I had recently picked up the Shield and figured I'd give Plex a shot. Holy cow does that Shield have some power. I've had 3 simultaneous external users while locally watching a 4k video with no hiccups.

Problem is: Nvidia relied on Plex Media Server to set up and manage SMB sharing. It is HORRIBLY broken. Several times per day it will show my network mounted drives as empty (0.00 Bytes) and my Plex media is all unavailable. Kodi, VLC, mxplayer, file managers, and other apps can still access all folders perfectly. Kodi uses it's own SMB protocol apparently. I've tried 4 different drives (Seagate, toshiba, and 2 WD HDDs) of varying size (1-8 Tb) and they all resolve the same way.. empty and inaccessible to Plex. The entire Plex system has been a mess with the android environment. The linked posted above contains a post about how the 3.3 update to the Shield fixed SMB sharing issues. I can confirm this is not true. 

I am literally begging for an Emby server on the Android environment. 

Emby >> Plex!

• 3 weeks later...
tooltime

I can second this. I bought the Shield on the promise that it woul work as a Plex Media SERVER. I can tell you, it does not. The forums are filled with stories of crashes and resets. Now, with the new Shield the PMS isn't even installed on the 16GB version.

The are a number of bugs that prevent the PMS from being a pleasant experience but I think we could have all lived with a number of bugs if we, first of all got ANY information from the Plex team as to when a bugg could/would be solved.

Also a solution to the limitation of having the metadata stored on the 16GB internally, only. No moving of this apparently in the future and no official information regarding why. Plex and NVidia either blames each other or says nothing at all. A lot of speculation on the forums though. I now simply assume that it won't be solved by either party, period.

I really like the EMBY solution, so if a server side implementation for the Shield would be considered I'm sure there are quite a few Shield owners who would be very happy. Any plans or any communication on this would of course be very welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
dcook

Just wondering why would you want to run the server on such a limited hardware?  I understand the Shield is a good client, but I don't understand why you would want to run the server on it?

There are so many better options such as HTPC or NUC's if you are trying to keep it small?

Edited by dcook

jnheinz

Just wondering why would you want to run the server on such a limited hardware?  I understand the Shield is a good client, but I don't understand why you would want to run the server on it?

There are so many better options such as HTPC or NUC's if you are trying to keep it small?

Being efficient.  Why run another VM or waste electricity if the Shield is already powered on?

dcook

So you want to run the server and client on the same device?

Being efficient.  Why run another VM or waste electricity if the Shield is already powered on?

jnheinz

So you want to run the server and client on the same device?

Why not?  If everyone thought like this, virtualization would not exist.

dcook

Sorry I don't see how it would be a good idea at all

The whole point of Emby is the have a server which has all the media and then access from any or multiple devices you want.

To have the server running on the client is the same end result as just copying movies from iTunes to your iPad and walking around with your iPad.   As you have whatever is stored on the device and thats all.

Why not?  If everyone thought like this, virtualization would not exist.

jnheinz

Sorry I don't see how it would be a good idea at all

The whole point of Emby is the have a server which has all the media and then access from any or multiple devices you want.

To have the server running on the client is the same end result as just copying movies from iTunes to your iPad and walking around with your iPad.   As you have whatever is stored on the device and thats all.

Not a good example.  Emby Server can run independently from the media being stored as you show in your signature.. storage is on a NAS in the basement, NUC or Shield is upstairs with a gigabit link.  As long as it has access to the media, that's all that matters.  Yes, Emby Server is a central location to store metadata & organize your media.  That doesn't mean that it can't run on the same system as one of your clients.  Think outside the box here.  If I had a really high powered NUC running Windows 10 that I ran Emby Theatre on, I would probably just put Emby Server on it too.  Why not?  It's always on anyways.  The simple fact is lots of people didn't own high-performance media streaming platforms that are low powered until now.. The Shield & the Intel NUC are great examples of high-powered front-ends.  We used low & moderate performance devices as the front-end to our media collection.  We have access to a relatively high performance front-end now.

dcook

Isn't the Nvida Shield a tablet?  Or maybe you are referring to something else when you say "Shield" ?

I understand having storage in the basement and using a NUC as a Emby Server, but to use a tablet as a server does not make sense.

Not a good example.  Emby Server can run independently from the media being stored as you show in your signature.. storage is on a NAS in the basement, NUC or Shield is upstairs with a gigabit link.  As long as it has access to the media, that's all that matters.  Yes, Emby Server is a central location to store metadata & organize your media.  That doesn't mean that it can't run on the same system as one of your clients.  Think outside the box here.  If I had a really high powered NUC running Windows 10 that I ran Emby Theatre on, I would probably just put Emby Server on it too.  Why not?  It's always on anyways.  The simple fact is lots of people didn't own high-performance media streaming platforms that are low powered until now.. The Shield & the Intel NUC are great examples of high-powered front-ends.  We used low & moderate performance devices as the front-end to our media collection.  We have access to a relatively high performance front-end now.

jnheinz

Isn't the Nvida Shield a tablet?  Or maybe you are referring to something else when you say "Shield" ?

I understand having storage in the basement and using a NUC as a Emby Server, but to use a tablet as a server does not make sense.

Ah, we have a misunderstanding.  NVIDIA Shield is both a tablet & Android TV.  We would be referencing SATV, Shield Android TV.  I don't think anyone in this thread has an interest in running Emby Server on a tablet PC.  Case closed I guess :)

jnheinz

It's all about choice.

This is also true.  Personally, I'm not sure I would want my wife randomly rebooting the SATV (which she does) which would bring Emby Server with it.  But, I am willing to entertain the idea to be efficient as long as I know it goes down & up quickly.

Hardware in the shield tv is able to decode : H.264 / H.265 / VP9

So i suppose it will be a good server to transcode any video !

• 1 month later...