Duplicate episodes from Sonarr

johnchimpo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

johnchimpo

This problem started with an update received in the last month (I have been on beta release and since this occurred have changed to stable updates only). Currently running ver 3.1.14.0. This library has been in use with emby since appx 2011.

Either sonarr or emby created this issue with a recent update, but I do not believe it was a bug just a kink in the config that I had slipped through all these years with no problem. The issue is a duplication of server data for each episode that exist in the library one with the UNC path and one with the local drive path. (i.e. \\media01\television\12 monkeys\season 01\ep1.mp4 and H:\television\12 monkeys\season 01\ep1.mp4). I have solved the problem going forward - the issue was that emby libraries were configured for the UNC path and sonarr was saving media, sending notifications and writing metadata using the local path. However, all the thousands of episodes that existed on the server prior to the fix are still duplicated. All the metadata for each duplicate file is the same, watch states, etc., but I'm lost for how to eliminate the duplicate entries. I've tried all the server tasks, checked every setting in the dashboard, dug through the server data files (where I can't find the server's metadata exists), read the logs (no permissions issues have popped up). Any genius ideas out there to save me from a complete re-add of the library?

the notifications from sonarr won't cause any duplicates. they basically just tell us that something changed. it's like an automated way of scanning the library. I guess I would start by reviewing your library setup. have you configured any libraries mulitple times with different paths?

johnchimpo

Library has been pointed only at the UNC path since the mb3 days. All collections are represented only once and there are no ccollections as sunflowers within another collection. Again this only has occurred with the TV collection. Sonarr has an option to write metadata specific to the emby server. I suspect that it hard coded the file path in its metadata.

Then maybe you could start by showing us the problem with screenshots, thanks.

johnchimpo

Then maybe you could start by showing us the problem with screenshots, thanks.

Attached. 

Season view.

5762109541c15_Season.jpg

UNC link

576210b5e0b51_E1a.jpg

Local link

576210d401e25_E1b.jpg

Network folder

576210efb5771_Folder.jpg

This series was added to test after the fix was made in Sonarr. No duplicates and correct UNC link.

5762111938bfd_AfterFix.jpg

This series existed before the fix. Episodes 21 & 24 added after the fix. Problem persists.

5762113b26b5b_Intermediate.jpg

Finally here is a screenshot of my libraries setup.

576211bc7fd5b_Library.jpg

Note: H:/Television is shared as \\MEDIA01\television so only one file exists of each episode. Playing either file works either locally, in MB-Classic locally, or web-remote.

• Solution

Try running the clean database scheduled task. If the issue persists then you try deleting the library.db under the server's data folder. The reason such a drastic measure might be needed is that since you've said your installation is from 2011, a lot of things have changed internally over time and it's possible that you have very old content sitting in your database that the server is unable to cleanup for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

johnchimpo

That is what I was expecting may be the only solution. I've run the clean database a dozen times (after each subsequent attempted fix) and no luck. Will deleting the library.db file be practically the same as creating a new library? Will all watched, favorite states, etc be erased?

deleting the library db will cause the server to rescan everything and will retain watched data.

johnchimpo

deleting the library db will cause the server to rescan everything and will retain watched data.

Wonderful. That is exactly what I'm hoping for. Will report back with results. Thank you Luke!

johnchimpo

Update: Deleting library.db has fixed the problem of duplicate entries (so far none have been noticed). Still populating in metadata and artwork. A good amount of watched status was lost, however it appears to mostly revolve around a point close to one year ago. I believe this may coincide with my switch from SickBeard to Sonarr. I imagine there was an archaic convention being used that current builds no longer use. Marking this one solved for now. Thanks Luke.