Lav Filters

mata7

Guest asrequested

What settings on your AVR are you needing to tweak?

I'm getting AAC soundtracks passed to my AVR as PCM, where everything else comes through as DD or DTS. The only thing I need to tweak is the volume.

Exactly! AAC is straight PCM....unprocessed. When you have stereo AAC, you get stereo PCM. If I want that to be 7.1.2 (which I do) I have to switch the settings on my AVR (Pioneer SC-95). I have an Atmos setup, ET is set to 7.1, but with AAC tracks, none of that is used. LAV just straight decodes it. It just comes out stereo....unless I alter my AVR settings, and then switch them back for everything else. With just a simple option to not have ET decode AAC, this is instantly remedied. 

babgvant

Exactly! AAC is straight PCM....unprocessed. When you have stereo AAC, you get stereo PCM. If I want that to be 7.1.2 (which I do) I have to switch the settings on my AVR (Pioneer SC-95). I have an Atmos setup, ET is set to 7.1, but with AAC tracks, none of that is used. LAV just straight decodes it. It just comes out stereo....unless I alter my AVR settings, and then switch them back for everything else. With just a simple option to not have ET decode AAC, this is instantly remedied. 

So you want to upmix stereo PCM to an arbitrary number of channels on your PC when it was originally encoded as AAC?

AdrianW

So you want to upmix stereo PCM to an arbitrary number of channels on your PC when it was originally encoded as AAC?

I think he wants to bitstream the AAC direct to his AVR and let the AVR do the decoding and any upmixing, which sounds reasonable.

I checked the Pioneer SC-95 and it does have AAC decoding, wish mine did. 

Edited by AdrianW

babgvant

I think he wants to bitstream the AAC direct to his AVR and let the AVR do the decoding and any upmixing, which sounds reasonable.

I checked the Pioneer SC-95 and it does have AAC decoding, wish mine did. 

I was curious about that, but 1) I'm not sure if ffdshow will bit stream AAC (it may, been a while since I looked) and 2) that wouldn't solve what appears to be the use case (desire to transform 2 into N channels) unless the AVR has specific upmixing rules or the PCM was encoded using something like ProLogic that is getting lost along the way.

My Pioneer SC-35 remembers the surround settings for each type of signal it receives.  So, when it is fed DD or DTS it uses one setting but when fed stereo it uses another (and expands to 5.1).  Your's does not do this...?

• Like 1

mata7

The old files and new files are different. They aren't replacing. You need to delete the old files

thanks for you help, im gone give another try today

Guest asrequested

Ok, so no, I don't want to bit stream AAC, that's what is already occurring. The SC-95 will only use Atmos in one setting, and in that setting it won't process stereo AAC into surround sound. I have to select an alternative way for it to be processed, manually. Then change it back for everything else. I bought the receiver for its Atmos capability. It detects the stream and provides the options for hoe it can be processed. Then, for AAC I chose which I want. The auto-surround function is the only way to get Atmos and it doesn't process AAC. If it's 5.1 AAC, I still get surround (obviously) but I have a lot of stereo AAC which auto-surround puts through as stereo PCM. I have ffdshow process it to 5.1 AC3 which the SC-95 in auto-surround can do whatever it wants with. So it's not decoding that's the problem, it's processing. LAV can't process AAC, but ffdshow does a fabulous job with that.

Guest asrequested

It's not how many channels, it's the AAC type. In any other type, AC3, dts, MP3 etc, there's no problem. It's specifically AAC, that doesn't get processed, only converted to PCM. Even if it were 2 channel AC3, auto-surround could still process it. But it would seem that very few things will process AAC.

To simply this, I would like ET to transcode 2 channel AAC to 2 channel AC3 or let me use ffdshow :)

Edited by Doofus

babgvant

It's not how many channels, it's the AAC type. In any other type, AC3, dts, MP3 etc, there's no problem. It's specifically AAC, that doesn't get processed, only converted to PCM. Even if it were 2 channel AC3, auto-surround could still process it. But it would seem that very few things will process AAC.

To simply this, I would like ET to transcode 2 channel AAC to 2 channel AC3 or let me use ffdshow :)

How is AAC different from MP3? Anything that doesn't bit stream is decoded to PCM then output as PCM.

It should be possible to extend ET to allow you to use ffdshow for audio processing PCM, but having it support this feature based on the codec of the audio wouldn't be something I would expect much general value from.

Guest asrequested

I don't know why AAC is an exception. I wish I did, but for whatever reason, AVRs have little support for it, other than to play it as PCM. I suspect AAC was devolved for portable mobile devices. It's never used in home theater, so it's not readily supported. It would be great if there were an option that would allow me to use ffdshow, but as I said, all I really need is for AAC to be converted to AC3,in whatever way possible. Problem solved :)

And yes, you're totally correct about MP3. I misspoke, MP3 doesn't get processed, either. But few movies have MP3 tracks.

Edited by Doofus

babgvant

I don't know why AAC is an exception. I wish I did, but for whatever reason, AVRs have little support for it, other than to play it as PCM. I suspect AAC was devolved for portable mobile devices. It's never used in home theater, so it's not readily supported. It would be great if there were an option that would allow me to use ffdshow, but as I said, all I really need is for AAC to be converted to AC3,in whatever way possible. Problem solved :)

And yes, you're totally correct about MP3. I misspoke, MP3 doesn't get processed, either. But few movies have MP3 tracks.

PCM is uncompressed audio. Anything that can't be bit streamed to the AVR will need to be decoded on the PC and output as raw audio.

I will look at adding a processing filter for raw audio to ET, but it will not be codec specific.

mata7

The old files and new files are different. They aren't replacing. You need to delete the old files

it dint work, delete the old files and copy the new ones, 3d just dont work, have you try 3D MKV MVC, no SBS or TB

Guest asrequested

I think that would probably work, babgvant. Right now, the ET speaker configuration settings don't affect AAC. Thanks for indulging me :)

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

PCM is uncompressed audio. Anything that can't be bit streamed to the AVR will need to be decoded on the PC and output as raw audio.

I will look at adding a processing filter for raw audio to ET, but it will not be codec specific.

Just a quick update. I decided to play around with the ffdshow settings to see what differences there were. Using these settings, provided a good result. No need for the AC3 encoding, but converting to AC3 is the best option, as my AVR will then be able to process it to Atmos . The same settings in LAV do nothing?

576c97e259190_Snapshot_120.jpg

576c982610740_Snapshot_121.jpg

576c986421559_Untitled.jpg

Edited by Doofus

lorac

There are more options for mixing in the LAV audio settings as well as disabling aac. Perhaps if you changed the location of the LAV install from their website you could configure it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

There are more options for mixing in the LAV audio settings as well as disabling aac. Perhaps if you changed the location of the LAV install from their website you could configure it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

But you can't in ET, I've tried

schmitty

Most AVR's I would have thought would support AAC. I know Yamaha has for the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Most AVR's I would have thought would support AAC. I know Yamaha has for the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine does. Again, this isn't about being able to play the file. It's having the right format for my AVR to process it into Atmos, or anything, for that matter, without having to reconfigure the AVR settings.

Guest asrequested

If this clarifies anything, here's the section in my AVR manual the outlines the applicable sound processing.

576f24862f0e7_Snapshot_126.jpg

• 1 month later...