Forget a series in Next Up

ebr

How the heck do I get cursor back to add text after I post above image?

Anyhow I am happy with the way it is now working, not sure what changed update wise as I am sure build is same but that is the way it should be.

Well the fix/glitch did not last long, its back to the mess as it was before.

The show I am watching (Charlie Jade) is now out the screen to the far right and all shows back in Next Up have never been started yet.

5c65f87ec454f_201902141.jpg

Edited by jh30uk

miniliQuid

Isn't it possible to just choose how you wan't next up to work (server side, or even better user side)?

That way people who want it neat can have it show only the shows they have actually started watching, while others can have all of the shows in it starting with s01e01 (or whatever they have available as first episode).

Because like jh30uk I think having all the shows in it that I haven't watched yet just makes it a mess (specially since it clutters up with shows I will never ever start watching and will always stick to s01e01 for that reason).

Would also be a nice addition to the settings :)

Also this skip functionality from OP would be great for the latest media sections, since I currently have a lot of latest media on the home screen and I use it a lot for my latest movies and series, but I would love to skip documentaries/comedians and stuff like that in the latest section.

Being able to swipe those away would be awesome as well :)

Isn't it possible to just choose how you wan't next up to work (server side, or even better user side)?

That way people who want it neat can have it show only the shows they have actually started watching, while others can have all of the shows in it starting with s01e01 (or whatever they have available as first episode).

Because like jh30uk I think having all the shows in it that I haven't watched yet just makes it a mess (specially since it clutters up with shows I will never ever start watching and will always stick to s01e01 for that reason).

Would also be a nice addition to the settings :)

This is off-topic for this feature request but the only time it shows items you haven't watched is if you haven't watched anything.

Going by what a Mod told me in a previous post it used to work as above till it was requested to work this current way (God knows why).

So I assume it was a glitch/bug above that gave me a few days of a useable library?

My advise, as lacking as Plex is in GUI and performance and its library actually works outside glitches, Continue Watching and On Deck (same as Next Up) work as expected so just copy it and and add a setting so the users who prefer the current mess can set it to be one as I do not see how this was changed to suit them in first instance.

It really is the one big issue making watching my media a PIA and having a library pointless if I need scroll through it to watch a shows EpX or continue that said EpX I may as well make a playlist in VLC in that case.

• Like 1

MyronAub

Going by what a Mod told me in a previous post it used to work as above till it was requested to work this current way (God knows why). So I assume it was a glitch/bug above that gave me a few days of a useable library?

Are you saying that your Next Up has a load of shows in it that you've never started watching and they all show S1E1?!?!

That's not how mine (Windows and FireTV) works. Mine only ever lists shows that I have started watching; currently it lists 24 shows and (as I'd expect) every one is a higher episode than S1E1 otherwise why would it appear in the list? Similarly I've added loads of new shows recently and none have appeared in the Next Up list until after I watched the first episode.

Something doesn't sound right with your setup.

Yes and its same for many here if you going by multiple threads on the topic and the Mods reply.

I assume it does not matter what App on what device you are using as it all mirrors the Server on your PC (in my case its a PC but could be other devices).

My Server is set up basically default settings and nothing I can do can make it the way I want it to be but as my photo above shows it did work for a few days for some

reason.

Marking one of the Shows as watched even though it has not been started will remove all the Shows which is a half baked fix but at least tidy.

Edited by jh30uk

BlazedMonkey

Over 2.5 years and people are still waiting for this.  Perhaps you guys could make it a priority already?

A big +1 here. 

If you want people to pay for your service, it would be nice to show them you listen to their requests  ;)

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Over 2.5 years and people are still waiting for this. Perhaps you guys could make it a priority already?

A big +1 here.

If you want people to pay for your service, it would be nice to show them you listen to their requests ;)

personally I’d prefer that they listen to the people that already pay for it. The number of people who post on here that they’d buy premiere if it wasn’t for x or y missing feature is laughable
  • Like 2

I pay for Emby (I canned Plex after 2+years as it is buggy crap and has poor support), I do not ideally need pay for premier as I  will eventually use the Kodi Plug-In once Kodi gets its act in gear and a few more builds on new Leia 18, I think its now 18.2 for me but Emby still will not let it load since 18 RC5 so I will need totally redo Kodi+Emby which is a PIA.

I have no use for trailers etc in premier, I have never understood why anyone would need to be able to stream a trailer when they have the hard copy locally and are just about to view the full movie but I like to contribute to the future of this software.

This Next Up issue is the one big major PIA for myself and makes viewing a TV show's season easier to do manually for each Ep or using a playlist in VLC.

BlazedMonkey

personally I’d prefer that they listen to the people that already pay for it. The number of people who post on here that they’d buy premiere if it wasn’t for x or y missing feature is laughable

While I understand where you are coming from, I respectfully disagree.  Why would I pay for a service that doesn't function how I want it to?  Where is the incentive, when I see PAYING users requests go unfulfilled for over 2.5 years?  Doesn't really give a person the confidence to think that their money would go to getting features implemented.  When something that was originally suggested by an ADMIN can't even get traction, it doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in us lowely users getting requests fulfilled.

• Like 1

Pretty much everything that we work on is based on user feedback. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks guys.

BlazedMonkey

Pretty much everything that we work on is based on user feedback. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks guys.

First and foremost, thank you all for your work building this and putting time and effort into it, it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated, despite what you may think by some of my posts. 

Is there a section where we can see what you guys are actively working on, or what is coming down the pipeline?  I see release notes for current releases that exist, but where can I find out what is actually being worked on?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

While I understand where you are coming from, I respectfully disagree. Why would I pay for a service that doesn't function how I want it to? Where is the incentive, when I see PAYING users requests go unfulfilled for over 2.5 years? Doesn't really give a person the confidence to think that their money would go to getting features implemented. When something that was originally suggested by an ADMIN can't even get traction, it doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in us lowely users getting requests fulfilled.

i don’t disagree with anything you say actually but this is just one of a long list of similar requests of equal age. Your concerns are shared by paying customers too
  • Like 1

BlazedMonkey

i don’t disagree with anything you say actually but this is just one of a long list of similar requests of equal age. Your concerns are shared by paying customers too

Which, as I said, doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in my wanting to pay for this service.  I put in a bug report over a month ago for something, and when I ask for an update on it, I get the canned response of:

We are actively monitoring this request for community feedback in comparison to other requests. Thanks !

Which is effectively saying "Not enough people have complained about it yet, so it isn't a priority, and we aren't even going to give you an idea if this is actually going to get fixed in the future."  Even though, if you read the thread, the issue and how to fix it has already been identified.  Why would I throw money at something when I get canned responses to bug fix requests, and the features that I actually want that would separate this app from the others out there have requests that are literally years old going unfulfilled?

Don't get me wrong here, there are a LOT of great features in Emby, and it has risen to be a great alternative to Plex, particularly after Plex's most recent updates that completely borked their interface.  Will all due respect to the developers here, all I'm saying is, the way things are prioritized, and the way the team has chosen to respond, and implement updates, has left me.....frustrated, and unwilling at this point to sink any more money into this app.

• Like 1

@@BlazedMonkey, I'm treating this topic as a feature request to remove a series from next up. 

Yes - there are open defect reports related to next up and those will be looked at, but please let's try to keep this on topic as this particular thread is a general feature request. Thanks.

BlazedMonkey

@@BlazedMonkey, I'm treating this topic as a feature request to remove a series from next up. 

Yes - there are open defect reports related to next up and those will be looked at, but please let's try to keep this on topic as this particular thread is a general feature request. Thanks.

Will do boss  ;)

The last thing I will post in here and then I promise I'm done: My issue was finally replied to and corrected (squeaky wheel....), and as such, I went ahead and bought a 1 year sub for premiere.  I do appreciate what you folks do, and I am glad to show my support when things are addressed in a timely manner.  Here's hoping that some of these requests get fulfilled soon.  Thanks for what you all do.

• Like 1

MyronAub

Pretty much everything that we work on is based on user feedback.

Can you reveal the rough criteria you use in deciding which feature requests to prioritise?

I'm sure there's a whole load of factors that determine if/when you start seriously looking at a request but it would be interesting to know if there's anything specific that users should be doing to show support for a particular idea; e.g. do the number of 'Likes' to an OP count for more than the number of Replies to a thread or do neither have much impact compared to the number of threads on the same topic etc?

I have no use for trailers etc in premier, I have never understood why anyone would need to be able to stream a trailer when they have the hard copy locally and are just about to view the full movie but I like to contribute to the future of this software.

Just curious, but do you ever watch a preview/trailer of a movie before you go to the theater?  If so why?  How about before you purchase the bluray disc to rip?  I'm sure you have because you want to make sure it'w worthy of your time and $ which are both investments.

Now on your own media server, maybe you already know you like every movie/show you have added.  Can you say the same for other people who use your media server?  Do they all 100% completely agree with your choice of movies?  So while YOU may not need trailers other people you share with might want them for obvious reasons because they would rather spend 2 or 3 minutes checking it out before watching 30 to 45 minutes to figure out they hate or don't like it.  Other people might be sitting down as a family to watch something and will want to watch a few trailers to get an agreement of what everyone will compromise on watching together.

My son for example always judges the movie by the title and never wants to watch certain movies together with me but once he's seen a couple of minutes of a trailer will now have a different view of the movie.  Maybe he still thinks the movie is dumb but like the hot girl in it. :)

People use trailers for all different reasons and since you don't have to spend your storage on them it's sort of a no-brainer to have this functionality built in.

Can you reveal the rough criteria you use in deciding which feature requests to prioritise?

I'm sure there's a whole load of factors that determine if/when you start seriously looking at a request but it would be interesting to know if there's anything specific that users should be doing to show support for a particular idea; e.g. do the number of 'Likes' to an OP count for more than the number of Replies to a thread or do neither have much impact compared to the number of threads on the same topic etc?

I'm certainly not speaking for Emby on this but as a developer and system architect you try to work on features your users want.  You also take into consideration your present plans in this evaluation.  For example if there are many requests for similar things for parts of code you may want to bundle them all together as a phase 2 or major upgrade to certain functions.  Maybe you plan to rewrite one section (functionality) in the next upgrade so you avoid those feature requests now because it's better to add them in the new functional code.

Maybe you spend 1 to 2 hours a day answering the same questions or explaining the same concepts over and over again.  So as the developer you realize that you would be better off fixing/adding/changing the things people have issues/questions about.  Then you don't waste 1 or 2 hours a day anymore and can put that time back into other development so everyone gains long term.

Maybe as a dev you realize there is a shortcoming in your own product and/or you want to make life easier for your customers and save them time and $ as well.  A perfect example that could fit into many of those just mentioned items would be the new Emby EPG that is built in for TV in V4 of the server.  I don't recall if having a built in EPG was ever asked for by many people but it certainly adds value to the product, saves users money and time outside of Emby as well as probably reduce their own support work answering questions how to integrate 3rd party products (and different EPG formats).

Sometimes you just want to keep improving existing functionality even if your competition is stagnant with the same features because it's the right thing to do even if not a lot of users have asked for it or because it's needed for other similar feature asked for (stepping stone).  A feature set that could be related to this way of thinking might be HW Transcoding.  It certainly already works pretty well but they are constantly adding to it making it more robust.  It's the heart and sole of transcoding, conversions and used often for syncing to mobile, folder and cloud services.  Having these stronger "building blocks" allows other code changes and feature requests to get added easier or with more features.

I could go on and on but think I've conveyed a bit of "developer/architect" type thinking that goes into good development processes.  One thing for sure is when you look at the growth and new features that have been added to Emby they are user driven 90%+ of the time.

Of course the number of likes and replies in threads is used to gauge popularity of feature requests.  This is sort of obvious by how well they moderate the requests forum by closing out dupes or merging topics.

Again this is all personal observation of Emby and from being a developer and system designer.

• Like 1

No not in my living room esp for the movie I am just about to watch (I know Emby can show you others but I am sure Plex just showed you a trailer for the movie you were in the menu for which is pointless) ,I could get away with using Emby FREE as I said above.

I was talking about myself  and my own use as it is only myself here, I was not talking for others and their use of Emby so please do the same.

I am 47 years old and have not been to the cinema in years back when I did go most Friday nights in 90's there were no a-holes on their phones throughout the movie .

Has that quenched your curiosity?

Anyhow back to getting this topics issue fixed it as basic/main/ feature and a major issue before adding other features IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
MyronAub

Plus a way to remove something from Continue Watching.

You just have to toggle the watched status in the web client to remove from Continue Watching.

While this does work, it has an unfortunate side effect for those of us who also use Trakt as it messes up the "Played" and "Recently Watched" Date/Status.

So +1 from me for extending Forget an episode/show to "Continue Watching" as well as "Next Up."