Cast in xml file not listed in Emby

gillmacca

gillmacca

I am running QNAP version 3.0.5972.0, but I believe this was happening when I use to run a windows version.

As you can see from the following picture, I have in my xml file, an actor called 'Jared Padalecki', but in theweb client (and other clients), he is not listed. I have tried identify, and refresh, but still it is not being picked up.

575d3f9095173_Screenshot20160612114910.p

This is just example.

I also notice that it I edit a show/movie using metadata manager, and add people or change the name, sometimes these do not show up (they get removed from emby display, but still appear in the xml file)...don't know if that is connected to my first issue, but it does appear to be random.

Edited by gillmacca

Can you see if the same issue occurs with nfo? Unfortunately i have not had much time to continue to test xml and at this point could use some community help hunting down what the issue might be. thanks.

gillmacca

I knew someone would mention nfo...lol.

Never used nfo, so it is a case of just telling Emby to use nfo over xml under metadata-services, and then running a library scan?

Found the info elsewhere on this site

Converting to nfo seems to have solved the problem. That person now appears.

I will keep monitoring during any changes I make, but for now I will say it has been fixed

Edited by gillmacca

gillmacca

One more question. 

In my media folders, I have a metadata folder in each of my TV series. Is this folder necessary if using nfo, or can it safely be deleted?

Just glancing at your xml, it looks like there was either a space or other invisible character at the beginning of the person's name.  That may have been the actual problem.

• 2 weeks later...
gillmacca

It is still happening, but I believe I see a pattern now. Any cast member that ends in a fullstop (e.g. Sammy Davis Jr.), will appear unless I either add an image manually, or edit the name, then the cast member vanishes from cast list, although they still appear in the nfo file.

Manually adding the person back to the cast list does not work. It says it has saved it, but they still do not appear

Just found another one, but the fullstop wasn't at the end (James L. Conway)

Edited by gillmacca

• 2 months later...
gillmacca

Running latest version (3.0.6070.0), and something strange is going on.

1...When I click on an actor in episode view, it goes to the actor page with no episodes link to it. when I go back to the episode, the actor is removed. This isn't happening on all actors, just a few.

2...I changed a director name to match IMDB and other tv series I have. The director get removed from the episode. If I re-add with original name, they appear in the episode again. All I changed was removing the middle name

As you can see, there are no spaces before or after the cast

57bebfc7a9c33_1.jpg

Edited by gillmacca

What happened was when you clicked on the actor we refreshed that actor's metadata from theMovieDb, but that metadata must have come back with a different name for the person, and now with the name change, the link to your episode is lost.

Happy2Play

One more question. 

In my media folders, I have a metadata folder in each of my TV series. Is this folder necessary if using nfo, or can it safely be deleted?

Do you have <ImageSavingConvention>Legacy</ImageSavingConvention> still in your system.xml?

gillmacca

Do you have <ImageSavingConvention>Legacy</ImageSavingConvention> still in your system.xml?

gillmacca

Rather than start a new post, I thought I would continue from my previous post. Thinking about it now, I should have really started a new post