Moving to Win 10 tablet from Android. Sync options?

Crestj

Crestj

Been using an android tablet with the emby app for ages on my commute to work.

Sync works perfectly and I just use mx player to play the content due to lack of offline support in the app (no big deal).

Just updated to a Windows 10 tablet (lenovo miix 300) and wondered what the best way to sync to this would be.

I don't watch videos through the emby app using this at home as I have WMC emby for that.

I have a Google drive account setup for sync.

So the question is do I purchase the app and use that to sync or do I use the Google drive account to sync to?

I will play the videos using something like Mpc-hc anyway as I don't believe offline playing is possible through the win 10 emby app either.

Vicpa

Hi,

A couple of things. The app has really nice playback and is always getting better.

1) Sync works just fine in the app (if not post) you can pick quality etc. I generally use high or original as the app will play just about anything other than DTS audio.

2) Offline playback is fully implimented. Synced items will appear with a flag in the regular libraries and when you have synced content another menu choice will appear at the bottom of your menu "Offline". It can come and go so it is always the last choice. :)

-vicpa ​

Crestj

I had no idea offline play was implemented.

I'm sold then!

Do you need the player app?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Vicpa

Hi,

What player app? Just need the Windows Store emby app. it is all in there

Crestj

Sorry it was the smart player but I think that's win 8.1 only.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Crestj

Thanks for the info, purchased the Emby client for Win10 and testing what it can do.

One last question, does the sync only happen if you open the app?

I've had this with the Android client and found that things are "ready to transfer" until I open the client app.

Is this by design? Should it sync even if the tablet is left idle? 

Just trying to see what I should expect?

Vicpa

Hi

I as understand it ( :).)  Sync is a pull operation. The app polls periodically I believe every couple of hours and will transfer in the background. If you open the app it checks on startup and will sync right away.

Sounds like it is similar to the android client.

I assume this is based on the current server implementation, or the messaging between the server and the clients.

-vicpa

• Like 1