UWP Testers

7illusions

MrWebsmith

@@Vicpa  the store app "windows dvd player" ??? its 15$.. so lemme take the cheapstake route for now and NOT buy it..we'll do some tests and see what i get, i could buy it later on if needed... obvs on a surface pro the need to play discs/br's is quite limited in general.. so hopefully the codec isnt needed.

@@Vicpa  the store app "windows dvd player" ??? its 15$.. so lemme take the cheapstake route for now and NOT buy it..we'll do some tests and see what i get, i could buy it later on if needed... obvs on a surface pro the need to play discs/br's is quite limited in general.. so hopefully the codec isnt needed.

Yikes!, the MS thing. It used to be 8 bucks. I got it for free. MS was giving it away to people who had Media Center licenses when they updated to Win 10 because they pulled Media Center from 10.  You right, I don't think I have ever used it to "play" a dvd. so for its stated purpose it is not of great value.

You can determine if you need it,

If your Homerun shows up in network locations.

585a998e9a26e_homerun.png

try to play a none drm channel in the MS "Movies and TV" app if you can you are good to go. :) 

On the Xbox MS just gives you the thing, so those folks should have what they need. If it impacts your purchase decision if required. The mpeg2 codec in the MS thing is first rate, GPU enabled etc. Ember uses about 3% of the cpu on my NUC playing a HD, AC3 Live TV stream.

Part of the startup delay you see is the server 'probing" the stream for details before transcoding or for that matter direct play starts, not the app. With more testers :) and feedback maybe we can go to Luke and see if he can make that any faster.

-vicpa

MrWebsmith

ahh.. good info.. thanks..

ill do the non-drm test on the HDHR when im on the same subnet tonight

CBers

Just updated EMBER to latest, v4.2.173, on my Xbox One.

First time I've updated for a few months.

Initial observations:

Why are all of the server-side user settings duplicated in the app? Seems a bit overkill.

Set them in the server then honour the settings in the app.

On the HOME page, if you press right to skip through the movies, sometimes it jumps 2 instead of 1, but that might just be coinciding with the auto-scroll.

Why is the background so white? Can the theme be changed, so it's a dark background?

With the white background, the TV guide is very hard to read.

Edit: OK, I've found the setting. Perhaps it needs to be set to EMBER by defaults.

When the guide loads, it's difficult to see where you are - there's no "focused" tile. Of you go up or down, then the whole screen seems to move.

Is there a way to group latest items together, rather than separate them into the day they were added?

I don't like the ALL display of movies/shows, as you have you jump over the letter bar. No way of having A-Z at the top or down the side??

Nice to see the animated GIFs working in the app :)

I like the way the backdrops pan and zoom :)

I think having a general RESUME screen would be better than in the individual library views.

When playback starts, chapter 1 is highlighted in the OSD, but you're not actually on the chapter row, so it's confusing.

Playback is fine :D

How do you EXIT the app?

Sorry about the long post, but I have not used the app for ages, so this is like me coming in new to the app.

FrostByte

How do you EXIT the app?

Like all XB1 games, click the round XBOX button to bring you back to the dashboard and then click the hamburger button and then "quit"

• Like 1

CBers

Like all XB1 games, click the round XBOX button to bring you back to the dashboard and then click the hamburger button and then "quit"

I figured that was the only way.

Shows how often I use the XB1 :)

• Like 1

FrostByte

I figured that was the only way.

Shows how often I use the XB1 :)

Would be nice if you could do it, save a few steps.  I've never seen an app or game that could exit within though, so not sure if it's possible

• 2 weeks later...
Vicpa

Hi 7

Is this your handwork? :) 

"No dodging that conference call now: Volvo adds in-car Skype for Business, will test Cortana too"

7illusions

Hi 7

Is this your handwork? :)

"No dodging that conference call now: Volvo adds in-car Skype for Business, will test Cortana too"

No, but the guys working next to my team. :)

My team works with Connectivity outside the vehicle, mobile apps and strategy, and the other team works with InCar apps.

• Like 3

Vicpa

Hi 7

.177 yeah!! So busy checking for possible regressions almost missed seeing that you started work on the full screen now playing mode awesome :) Thanks.

Will check and work on my list :P 

Thanks 7

-vicpa

• Like 2

FrostByte

So busy checking for possible regressions almost missed seeing that you started work on the full screen now playing mode awesome :) Thanks.

Heh, been using for almost a day now and never noticed the button right there in the middle of the screen until you said something

7illusions

I ve found some navigation bugs, bit theyre sorted in next build. And yes, currently working on now playing, will be using Composition APIs, its the plan atleast.

• Like 3

7illusions

The latest build add some more polish to the Now Playing view and you will get an idea of how it will work. I still got lot's to do, but it's on it's way. Please note that the buttons in fullscreen mode ain't wired yet. (some are, but not all)

• Like 3

FrostByte

I only have this problem on the XB1, but I can't select the DTS Passthrough option without first selecting the X265 Transcode option on the screen before it.  Then I can select the DTS Passthrough option.

Playback Settings

Audio

DirectStream DTS not selectable

Move back to Video

Select Transcode H265

Now you can go to Audio and select DS DTS

Turn off Transcode H265

• Like 1

FrostByte

v179

The song, artist and background art don't match what is playing when clicking "Full Screen" from playlist.  They also don't change when the song changes

Edit:

When going back to normal Now Playing (non full screen) the controls at the bottom of the screen disappear

Edited by FrostByte

Vicpa

Hi

180 the Now Playing screen is really starting to look great :) and work really well !!. One thought (of course, personal preference alert :P ) the track Time could be some point size smaller. Maybe 1 1/2 the size of song title. Currently it looks to be double.

-vivpa

swhitmore

Hey, so I managed to make some playback samples. In the video below you can see some of the different players an how they compare using a Surface Pro 4. VLC is clearly the best, with Emby Theatre Desktop about the same. Ember has some major stutter issues when playing off the server. Playing offline is better, but has a lot of dropped frames (which is hard to see from the video).

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

7illusions

Strange, can't remember that I've touched that area.. I'll have a look at once.

7illusions

Issue found and resolved. .185 should be available for you guys to play with.

• Like 1

7illusions

Hey, so I managed to make some playback samples. In the video below you can see some of the different players an how they compare using a Surface Pro 4. VLC is clearly the best, with Emby Theatre Desktop about the same. Ember has some major stutter issues when playing off the server. Playing offline is better, but has a lot of dropped frames (which is hard to see from the video).

Ok, from what I can tell from that video, all apps that uses Media Foundation Framework as media engine has the same problem.

You weren't running Insider Preview builds right? I think that problem would go away if you did.

Anyhow, I'm still looking into making a VLC player that could be used, but I will have to see how much time I can spend on it.

Just for the sake of collaboration, one of the downsides with Vlc on pretty much every platform is that you lose platform specific features. Maybe its' different on UWP but at least on the other platforms you don't get HD audio pass-through. So you really just end up trading one issue for another.

• Like 1

7illusions

Yes, I don't plan on removing MFF, just adding an in app option to use the VLC engine instead.

But looking at the state of the current Preview builds, it kind of feels like VLC is loosing ground and I wonder if it will be worth the work.