UWP Testers

7illusions

7illusions

"Hey ember, play some jazz" ? :)

Not in this release, but I got 8 weeks vacation now. Will have plenty of time to spend on Ember. :)

• Like 2

FrostByte

v4.4.251

Much better experience on the XB1 than before I think.  Eliminating the alphabet between the movies saves a lot of clicking.

Suggestions:

Remove the clickable headings in Suggested also.  This just adds unwanted clicks on the XB1 also I think

The Home Screen still needs fixed I think.  It still highlights the whole New Movie section requiring two clicks before you can navigate the section.  One click to move to another section and another to move back to New Movies.  Needs to highlight 1 movie, the first in the section

Request:

On the Alphabet in places like All Movies can it be made so that when you reach Z and arrow down it wraps around and goes to #.  Same if at # and you scroll up it goes to Z.  In other words so to wraps around

• Like 1

7illusions

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do. :)

Regarding the homeview though,that will be made a tailored experience for the XB1 as well, will start on that tomorrow. (Just wanted to get these changes out to you first)

• Like 2

FrostByte

I like the HS changes in 252.  I did notice that in some sections of the HS if you scroll all the way to the right, then you can't scroll back to the left.  New episodes for one is that way.  Once over to the right you have to go back to the top and then back down to get to new episodes again.

I'll be away for a few days, so I'll have to wait to play some media until I get back

• Like 2

FrostByte

Got back today and loaded Version 254

Scrolling over to the far right on the Home Screen now stops at the last item and you can now scroll back which is good

Playback works great. 

Doing some more testing, thanks

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi,

Been behind testing. Cascade hardware failure :(. Anyway..

In 254. A regression. Crash to desktop. To reproduce

Browse Latest Movies. Click Home from Hamburger. Crash

Will continue to look..

-vicpa

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi 7

The regression is fixed thanks!.

Not sure what is up with this. A server change with backgrounds (@@Luke ? ) or something else. Home screen for movies looks messed up.

595950b7d0300_Screenshot1.png

One is my folder image, the blank/default ones are well.. blank or default. All the movies have some kind of background and show as expected in the carousel.

-vicpa 

7illusions

Hi 7

The regression is fixed thanks!.

Not sure what is up with this. A server change with backgrounds (@@Luke ? ) or something else. Home screen for movies looks messed up.

595950b7d0300_Screenshot1.png

One is my folder image, the blank/default ones are well.. blank or default. All the movies have some kind of background and show as expected in the carousel.

-vicpa 

Strange! I can't reproduce this, and I haven't done any changes around that part. All the changes in the Home View regarding desktop has been to remove the XB1 specific stuff and moved that to iw's own file. 

Stange though that the carousel is still correct..  :unsure: 

7illusions

Just a little FYI,

v4.4.255 will be the version that goes out to regular users.

(And the work on next version has already started) :)

• Like 4

Vicpa

Hi 7

Did 255 go out? @@CBers has been letting us down keeping up on the release version number, LOL  :P ​The beta is current but the release show 201.

Will get to 258 latter but so far so good.

BTW... I figured out my home screen issue. Seems the server in 2.22 is "inheriting" the folder thumb image for new items. Not sure if this a feature or bug ;) ​. Easy fix just had to delete my folder thumbs and things are back to normal.

Thanks

-vicpa 

• Like 1

7illusions

Hi,

Yes .255 should be visible in store.

Yes, I've noticed the Thumb issue myself now when my server updated. Frustrating, since thumbs are present for the movies, but like you said they are inherited from the parent folder somehow.

FrostByte

258 fixed the buttons jumping with the maximized Now Playing screen.  Thanks

FrostByte

Found another one in 258

When clicking Stop from a Now Playing screen the app skips back to the previous screen and the play bar at the bottom still shows so you have to click Stop a second time to make the bar go away otherwise it stays there

• Like 1

CBers

Did 255 go out? @@CBers has been letting us down keeping up on the release version number, LOL :P ​The beta is current but the release show 201.

The Release Notes haven't been updated, so I didn't update the versions thread :)

I have now.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi 7,

257 and 258 are crashing to the desktop frequently on my Fast ring box. If I was guessing did you change something with the background tasks or live tile ? I rolled rev 237 back to 232 and same thing. 

I don't see any crash logs... anyway I rolled back to 255 seems to be fine.

Hope you can help....

-vicpa

7illusions

Hi 7,

257 and 258 are crashing to the desktop frequently on my Fast ring box. If I was guessing did you change something with the background tasks or live tile ? I rolled rev 237 back to 232 and same thing.

I don't see any crash logs... anyway I rolled back to 255 seems to be fine.

Hope you can help....

-vicpa

Where are you in the app when it crashes and when does it crash?

(Eg. In movies hub after watching 5 movies, or at startup, during splash screen)

Vicpa

Hi 7

It can be almost anywhere, not tied to a specific series of actions.. Crashed during movie playback. One the home screen etc. Here is the log. 

2017-07-09--13-54-26.txt

-vicpa

Vicpa

Hi 7

Some additional info.. 255, 252 have the same instability. Right now I have been running 249 for a couple of hours with no crashes or freezes will let it run for the rest of the day and let you know.

-vicpa

7illusions

Thanks!! That sounds more reasonable, couldn't find a change between 255 and 258 that should cause that kind of behavior.

Will submit a new Beta in a few hours which you can try out, I got a hunch of what might be causing the problem.

• Like 2

Vicpa

Hi 7

Thank you  :) !! 259, running for couple of hours, played music, and movie, Added new content to server (that would crash even 249) all good!!

Thanks

-vicpa

• Like 1

CBers

Ember Direct Streams according to the OSD, but in the dashboard it says Direct Play.

How is this determined, by Emby server or the app?

Also, why does it take so long for the app to lunch, connect to the server and then load the home screen? ET is much faster in doing this.

When will we be able to choose the default loading page? It always goes to movies, but I'd like a more mixed view like with ET?

Thanks.

Vicpa

Hi @CBers

7 correct me if I am wrong. ember uses the correct/accurate term for playback. UWP apps will never direct play. Direct Stream means that the content is playing natively but the transport is via a stream vs access to a remote file system. ember will report playback as transcoding if the server modifies the content in anyway container change, video copy remux etc. Emby considers some of these for marketing reasons as direct stream although technically they are not. This has been discussed ad nauseum , in other posts. 

If you see direct stream in the app, you are getting the best playback :) ​, regardless of what emby is reporting. 

-vicpa

CBers

ember uses the correct/accurate term for playback. UWP apps will never direct play. Direct Stream means that the content is playing natively but the transport is via a stream vs access to a remote file system. ember will report playback as transcoding if the server modifies the content in anyway container change, video copy remux etc. Emby considers some of these for marketing reasons as direct stream although technically they are not. This has been discussed ad nauseum , in other posts.

If you see direct stream in the app, you are getting the best playback :) ​, regardless of what emby is reporting.

I totally agree with what you say, it was just a question about whether it was the app or the server that determined the message in the dashboard.

Lots of discussion here about playback definition: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48799-direct-play-vs-direct-streaming-vs-transcoding/

Emby will never change their stance, even though they're reporting playback incorrectly most of the time :)

7illusions

Actually, Ember will Direct Play in one scenario. :) When a file is synced to the device it will have direct access to the file and it will state that it is Direct Playing.

On my todo list is to actually improve on the information given when transcoding occurs. eg. Remuxing, Trasncoding Audio, Transcoding Video.

Also, why does it take so long for the app to lunch, connect to the server and then load the home screen? ET is much faster in doing this.

When will we be able to choose the default loading page? It always goes to movies, but I'd like a more mixed view like with ET?

Thanks.

I've changed the startup procedure in .262, it has been on my todo-list for quite some time, but never came around to actually do it. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Startpage, I will have a look at how that can be done.

• Like 2