[OT] SHIELD Android TV Update 3.2 Will Add A Built-In Server And Remote File Access, Among Other Improvements

CBers

@@Luke and ebr, honestly i wrote a really different post than its now showen. Who has the rights to change that? There was no bad behaviour in my post. I wrote that it seems, that the Plex Server runs good on the shield box. I will use it now and give Emby a next try, when the Android Server is out.

Did you changed that or is my account cracked?

Edited by mmb

@@Luke, i asked you: Did you changed that or is my account cracked?, You answered: Your account is not cracked. Enjoy your Shield  :)

Does that mean, you changed my post? If yes, please tell me how to delete my account. I can´t find anything in the profile settings to do that

blauter78

Once emby server runs on Android I'm sure it will have to be side loaded.

Once? Is this a thing being looked at or actively developed?

sippelmc

Will 3.2 allow for passthrough for all lossless codecs now (and thus the Emby client)?  I've been waiting for that to move to the Shield ATV and use Emby on it.  Thanks.

I did notice the following note in the "What's new" while 3.2 was downloading:

Improved 24.97 playback

Anyone noticed less-jerky playback with 24hz content and the internal player?

• 3 weeks later...
dark_slayer

Based on them killing off their devices and they are trying to get manufacturers to switch to GoogleCast. Just a market trend. Google kills semi-successful products all the time.

Though I guess if you don't need transcoding, putting the server on a low powered device would help a lot of people. 

What are you talking about? Do you mean the push for the cast audio devices? That's a different market. They aren't pushing any "chromecast" vendor competitors as I'm aware

Also, killing of the nexus is very similar to them killing off the GNex (which was the first nexus device to arrive on Verizon). TI didn't continue to support the OMAP and they made a blunder by putting their SoC in the nexus to begin with. Plus, back then samsung was a good phone to use for the mod community, and you could turn an S3 into a stock experience phone with better hardware than a nexus so they totally cannibalized the nexus sales targeting the same demographic but on all carriers. BUT they didn't kill off the nexus program, just that phone.

Killing off the little nexus player makes sense, it is in a world nearly all its own running an x86 intel SoC. If anything they used it as a launch pad to further the work Asus had done bringing android to Intel/x86 and develop the framework to run the Play Store on Chromebooks. Plus there is the shield doing a much better job catching the high end of the market with features they will not be able to deliver with the nexus as well as the dime a dozen chinese boxes capturing the low end with Rockchips and Amlogics.

Yeah, I have sort of noticed Android TV seeming to have a bit more life coming back than there was before. It died once a few years ago, then sort of came back quietly at first and seems to be more happening now.

The thing that died was not AndroidTV. GoogleTV was on a small number of devices, and it's death was due to a number of things. Android had little to no market share back then, and they didn't really have a very good OS at the time. Each of the mobile OSes (even the ones that are now gone) advanced by leaps and bounds since the time where GoogleTV was tinkering around with the concept where they bring "Search" and a nifty keyboard/remote into your everyday TV experience.

That was not the same as what we have now. Honestly can't see it dying. While it may die off, the model where you theoretically get Netflix, Amazon (tsk, tsk, if they feel like it), ESPN, Vudu, Pandora, Youtube, HBO Go, etc with providers coming along with their own Android TV on demand apps ... that is the model a lot of people wanted with Cable long ago

Edited by dark_slayer

• 3 months later...
browned

Well the Shield 3.3 update resolved some of the issues with SMB connectivity from the Shield to remote storage. I have also been offered a Shield Pro which I would run Emby Server on in an instant if it was available.

I do have Plex server setup on one of my Shield's but due to limited internal storage I have not really used it, and don't really want to but if I get the Shield Pro then it is a good option to test how Plex and a similar Emby Server for Shield/Android would work.

With the TV streaming apps slowly being built and rolled out, TV's now coming with Android TV as the OS. I think Android TV OS is going to be around for a while.